BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Anyone else been expereincing problems with pages not loading first attempt, or taking a while to load?

Im using google DNS, and tried switching to open DNS, but it's hard to verify if that sorts problem or not.

Last time I saw something similar was with BE when they where having routing and peering issues.

Noticed it over the last 2-3 weeks.

Just revisited samknows and it seems my exchange is `under evaluation`for fibre in 2014
Also there is a possibility of a new exchange being built for a new housing development about 2 miles from my house

Re my exchange anyone had an attenuation of 60 and then got fibre?
Any chance I would benefit from them enabling my exchange and being able to get fibre?

10 days is now over!!

The final result:

speeedtest.jpg

Not bad at all :)

That ping looks a little bit high. I'm on ADSL with 17ms.

BT Man is here, (didn't get a contractor, wohooo!)

Gave me some fibre lead to lay myself as I wanted the cable to go under the floors.

Ni7Hiu3l.jpg.png

All this time I thought BT made a mistake giving FTTH in my area but it seems like it's happening.

Anyone else been expereincing problems with pages not loading first attempt, or taking a while to load?

Im using google DNS, and tried switching to open DNS, but it's hard to verify if that sorts problem or not.

Last time I saw something similar was with BE when they where having routing and peering issues.

Noticed it over the last 2-3 weeks.

I had a slight niggle last night, but it's fine now.

@moogle

You got FTTH? B*****d, lol. What speed/latency are you getting? Is your phone service over fibre too? What's the monthly cost?

@thread

Is the Data Extension Kit strong/robust enough to be used outside, i.e. pinned to an outside wall? My master socket is at the front of the house, and the office is in the middle; I'm thinking of having the modem and the router in there for the sake of convenience.

@moogle

You got FTTH? B*****d, lol. What speed/latency are you getting? Is your phone service over fibre too? What's the monthly cost?

Getting, yeah :D

No speedtests yet that was just the external install. 9th of May is when it goes live.

Infinity Option 2 for now for £26/pm, and yeah the phone will be plugged into the modem.

The estimated speeds are 80/20 Mbps (Down/Up)

I didn't choose the higher package as I don't need that much speed yet and I don't think my powerline plugs can handle the speed.

Last edited:
Fibre on Demand, early market deployment areas now known

Basingstoke, Blackfriars, Bonvilston, Bristol South, Cardiff, Culverhouse, Edinburgh Waverley, Garston, High Wycombe, Holmer Green, Hook, Keynsham, Manchester Central, Penn (Buckinghamshire), Peterston Super-Ely, Princes Risborough, Redruth, Roath, St Agnes, Turgis Green Chineham, Watford, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth, Southam, Nottingham Longbox, Geding, Ramsbottom, Tottington, Irlan, Oldham, Saddleworth, Tunbridge Wells, Paddock Wood, Tonbridge, Malone (Belfast), Brighton Hove, Brighton Withdeam, Maidenhead, Littlewick Green, Bromsgrove, Droitwich, Hillside (Hereford & Worcester), Falmouth, Penryn

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5811-fibre-on-demand-early-market-deployment-areas-now-known.html

I'm wondering if it's your router at fault. Are you connected to your router wired or wireless? What router are you using?

using a HH3 directly wired up using the cables provided from the HH3.

I see a few are replacing the HH3 with something else, this worth doing? I remember the first ever home hub being a complete pile of poo.

Edit: 75/17 with 42ms today.

Edit 2: Can I just run an Ethernet cable directly from my PC into the spare port on the openreach modem??

Last edited:
Have BT blocked TPB trackers too? Cant seem to connect to them, oddly seems to be an issue through VPN as well.

Ironically i'm using it for completely legal download, Mega gives me a checksum error every time i download it and they are the only 2 hosts!

Had mine installed 2 days ago now. FTTP, option 3 - currently 290/9, clearly screwing me out of 11mb upload!

Have you got a picture of the modem set-up?

I'm confused as to whether the cable (fibre one) from the outside of the house comes in and directly plugs into the modem or it goes to a master socket phone box, then into the modem.

Back
Top Bottom