BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Is using task manager a reliable way of testing speed when downloading something? If not what's the best place on the net for testing connection speed. I used USwitch yesterday to see how fast wifi was on my phone. It said I got 17mbps. I was surprised as it was wifi.

Soldato
Just renwed BT BB

Renewed BT broad band and got it £10 cheaper a month than I was paying but still think I was screwed over.

BT now has UK help desks just when I was getting used to Indian help desks - So got to learn a new language and its going to be much harder to grasp than Indian.

Can anyone on here speak broad Glasweegen and can you cope with thousand words a minute :D:D

Soldato
What's the latest and greatest router that works flawlessly with FTTC these days? I've had BT Infinity 1 installed at my new house since Friday and the Home Hub 6/Smart Hub's Wi-Fi is beyond useless. It's slow, drops out all of the time and is generally just very unstable.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the latest and greatest router that works flawlessly with FTTC these days? I've had BT Infinity 1 installed at my new house since Friday and the Home Hub 6/Smart Hub's Wi-Fi is beyond useless. It's slow, drops out all of the time and is generally just very unstable.

TP Link VR900 for me, had well over a year now and been faultless mate.

Just make sure on latest firmware from March/April this year I think it is.

Soldato
How do i go about using the home hub in modem only mode? I've just had my ISP switched over to BT but seem to be struggling.

The only things i can find on google seem old aswell unless i'm being useless (highly possible)

BT don't have a modem mode on the hub if I recall, you can only disable DHCP and Wireless, then plug in your own router etc with it.

What router do you plan on using to replace it? If you haven't bought a new one already, just get one with a VDSL modem built in. Then you don't have to use the BT hub at all!

Soldato
I've got an Asus AC66 router. I've connected it all up but it's not getting an internet signal through from the home hub.

I figure it's a settings issue but not sure what.

How's it connected?

What mode is the Asus configured for (router, access point, etc.)?

What subnets are the two routers using?

Soldato
How's it connected?

What mode is the Asus configured for (router, access point, etc.)?

What subnets are the two routers using?

I've just got a network cable between the Homehub (socket 1) and the Asus into the Internet In network socket. The same as I used to have it with the sky. The Asus is set up the same also so I assume it's set as a router.

Not sure what a subnet is, or how to check.

Soldato
Your subnet is the IP range you are using i.e. 192.168.1.n. Google it.

If the Asus is configured as a router it will need to be using a different IP range to the BT hub. If both routers default to the same subnet you'll need to reconfigure one of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom