BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
My Infinity 1 £18pm contract ends next week and going to ring rentention to see what they can offer me but I can't seem to find the number, is it the same as options team?

Soldato
Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago, had Openreach out as the old socket was a linejack and hanging off the wall. Still this is the best I can get, despite being able to see the cab from the house :(

The engineer seemed to think that it was because the OH route the cable took wasn't as direct as it could be - but still I was expecting a little better than this.
FDvmoHyh.png.jpg

ggxMhSU.png

Soldato
Yeah, it's also a new Openreach faceplate and the engineer tested it at the same speed and said that's your lot. The Cab is 100m away as the crow flies, but the overhead route takes it to nearly 400m.

The errors + relatively low attenuation makes me think one of the overhead cables isn't the best - but not much I can do about it as it's deemed 'acceptable'

My old house was 60meg + with attenuation of 18dB. I know it's not as simple as that, but still think I'm being short changed!

Soldato
My cab is 420m away as the crow flies, short road so imagine it's likely around 500m as the roads route to it. But I achieve a 65/18 sync - doesn't seem right you only get 47/7 ?? @Scottland

EDIT: To be fair I'm in a new build & we had new copper laid when we moved in 2014 - so possibly better grade stuff... I've heard the thickness & density of it effects the quality?

Soldato
My mate lives 40m from his cabinet and his download speed is mid 30's.
House to a pole 20m is overhead and from the pole to the cabinet underground is 20m or so.

I get the impression that the main feed to the cabinet isn't so hot. Nobody beside him has a speed over 40.

Caporegime
My mate lives 40m from his cabinet and his download speed is mid 30's.
House to a pole 20m is overhead and from the pole to the cabinet underground is 20m or so.

I get the impression that the main feed to the cabinet isn't so hot. Nobody beside him has a speed over 40.
Could be aluminium cabling or simply just old copper.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Two kilometres to your cabinet? I wouldn't bother unless your current service is consistently terrible.

Is there a tool somewhere that will let you work out likely G.Fast speeds given current VDSL speeds?
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-g-fast-broadband-uk-trial-results-speed.html

This will give you a rough idea. 75% of the lines in a trial reached 300Mbps+ and almost 75% had line lengths of 150 metres or less.

If your line is significantly longer than 250 metres, you are unlikely to see any benefit and probably won't be allowed to order.

Last edited:
Associate
Would it be a fair assumption that cabinets being upgraded to fibre next year and onwards are going to automatically get the g.fast pods attached as well?

Would seem like an awful waste of time and resources to upgrade cabinets twice If the tech is ready?

Soldato
Two kilometres to your cabinet? I wouldn't bother unless your current service is consistently terrible.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-g-fast-broadband-uk-trial-results-speed.html

This will give you a rough idea. 75% of the lines in a trial reached 300Mbps+ and almost 75% had line lengths of 150 metres or less.

If your line is significantly longer than 250 metres, you are unlikely to see any benefit and probably won't be allowed to order.
Doesn't really help without knowing the line distance. There are loads of VDSL speed v distance graphs and they're all completely different so I have no way to correlate my current maximum download sync speed to line distance.

Man of Honour
You can't really, you can look where the cabinet is and that will give you a rough idea, but you won't know the cable route unless an Openreach engineer traces it for you.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Doesn't really help without knowing the line distance. There are loads of VDSL speed v distance graphs and they're all completely different so I have no way to correlate my current maximum download sync speed to line distance.
Use the measure distance function on Google Maps to draw a straight line from your cabinet to your house. If this is more than 200m, you can probably forget about G.fast as the actual line length could easily be two or three times the distance and G.fast's current range seems to be about 300m.

Soldato
Use the measure distance function on Google Maps to draw a straight line from your cabinet to your house. If this is more than 200m, you can probably forget about G.fast as the actual line length could easily be two or three times the distance and G.fast's current range seems to be about 300m.
If the cabinet location shown by CodeLook is accurate (doubt it), then straight line distance is 100 m.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom