BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
@nightmare99
Personally, I found the W9970 to be able to hold a terribly unstable line fairly well, and permitted DLM to see a stable line (by not having the HH phone home and DC you every week) to let DLM slowly increase speeds back up. Also allowed the cabinet to switch me down to 3dB slowly and increased speed to maximum (currently at 4dB for full 79999 download speed; could never get this with the HH5a).

Did you make this change via the TP-Link or was it done on OpenReach's side automatically?

Associate
@thewanted

Was done by OR side (my cabinet is a Huawei, so it had it running the xdB settings since March or something, and is also compatible with the chipset in the W9970), but with the HH5a it refused to do so over 6 months despite the cabinet supporting it (since March) and the HH5a supposedly supporting it as well.

I've read you could try and force the xdB as well to a specified level on the W9970 (and likely other similar chipset devices), but it was beyond what I was prepared to do to get it due to needing to basically "overclock" the damn line (change setting, keep eye on errors, determine if to go up or down, etc), which I certainly wasn't bothered enough to try vs letting the cabinet do it's work automatically (eventually) instead. :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So its been 19 days and I've still not had G.INP turned back on after my move to Plusnet. Also got some interleaving on the line along with an unreasonable low IP profile.

Is it just a case of waiting and being patient you think? Or should I contact them?

Soldato
@thewanted

Was done by OR side (my cabinet is a Huawei, so it had it running the xdB settings since March or something, and is also compatible with the chipset in the W9970), but with the HH5a it refused to do so over 6 months despite the cabinet supporting it (since March) and the HH5a supposedly supporting it as well.

I've read you could try and force the xdB as well to a specified level on the W9970 (and likely other similar chipset devices), but it was beyond what I was prepared to do to get it due to needing to basically "overclock" the damn line (change setting, keep eye on errors, determine if to go up or down, etc), which I certainly wasn't bothered enough to try vs letting the cabinet do it's work automatically (eventually) instead. :)

Cool, thanks for the reply :) I'm on an ECI cabinet I believe so I think I'll be on 6dB for a long time to come.....grrrrrr. Really tempted to try the W9970 though, especially for that price.

Associate
So its been 19 days and I've still not had G.INP turned back on after my move to Plusnet. Also got some interleaving on the line along with an unreasonable low IP profile.

If I remember what I read correctly, g.inp is not guarunteed to be switched on if the DLM thinks it's better served by higher interleaving instead. Or something very close to that. Although the talk is all Huawei cabinets are supposed to put on g.inp no matter what anyway. What are your line stats like? Any noise on line? Original speed with Zen? What cabinet? Huawei or ECI?

Is it just a case of waiting and being patient you think? Or should I contact them?

If your speed stats are far lower than usual and the line stats are a bit off, then I'd probably give them a call. But won't know until can compare the speed vs line details for a rough idea.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah its a Huawei cab, the line is about 200m, and there is no noise.

Zen stats from the last day with them.
Code:
Stats recorded 30 Oct 2017 16:49:26

DSLAM/MSAN type:            BDCM:0xa48c / v0xa48c
Modem/router firmware:      AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                   VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                      0 hour 5 min 25 sec
Resyncs:                    2 (since 30 Oct 2017 07:34:23)

Downstream    Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):      10.5        0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):    Not available on VDSL2  
Connection speed (kbps):    79997        19999
SNR margin (dB):            5.3        15.4
Power (dBm):                13.3        -4.0
Interleave depth:           8        1
INP:                        51.00        0
G.INP:                      Enabled        Not enabled
Vectoring status:           5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)  

RSCorr/RS (%):              0.0113        0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%):            0.0000        0.0000
ES/hour:                    4.52        3.76

Current stats with PN.
Code:
Stats recorded 18 Nov 2017 10:10:06

DSLAM/MSAN type:            BDCM:0xa48c / v0xa48c
Modem/router firmware:      AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                   VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                      0 hour 3 min 24 sec
Resyncs:                    0 (since 18 Nov 2017 10:09:47)

Downstream    Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):      10.4        0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):    Not available on VDSL2  
Connection speed (kbps):    65768        19999
SNR margin (dB):            6.3        15.4
Power (dBm):                13.5        -4.6
Interleave depth:           1287        1
INP:                        3.00        0
G.INP:                      Not enabled        Not enabled
Vectoring status:           5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)  

RSCorr/RS (%):              0.0000        0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%):            0.0000        0.0000
ES/hour:                    0        0

Doing a speed test and I'm only get a max of 61Mb down, which is actually lower than the FTR.

6804957217.png

Associate
@V_R

The sync speed being lowered is probably due to the rather poor interleave depth you've currently got without g.inp active. And DLM just threw on the limiter until it decides to thrown on g.inp on it's end. Think it's a waiting game here, stats look OK. Give it another week or two before doing a 30 minutes resync and see if that helps. If it doesn't, that will be the time to call it in I feel. (Unless your minimum speed is already higher than the 61Mb download speed you're getting).

Associate
Can she use my old BT router as part of her network to provide a wired connection to her tv box?

Depends on what you mean. You can use the BT Home Hubs as a 3 port switch for the TV Box. 1 port is needed for the connection to the device prodiving Internet access. That can work.

ie. You can connect the BT Router/HH via wire (Homeplug or direct Ethernet) to the device prodiving Internet access, then the TV Box to the BT Router/HH. You can not connect the BT Router/HH via wireless to the device providing Internet access, then the TV Box to the BT Router/HH. (Limitation on all the BT Router/HH's released so far).

Soldato
Sorry so to clarify but i think from your post it's possible

What she currently has is the Homehub in the study wired to a a powerline adaptor. Then in the lounge she has another powerline adaptor wired to the TV box. The powerline adaptors keep dropping signal and i think they're just very old now.

What i'm thinking of doing is

Homehub in the study as it is now, and then another homehub wirelessly on the same networrk in the lounge which the tv box can be wired up too.

She has an old BT Vision box which doesn't support wifi, otherwise this would all be very simple!

Man of Honour
I'm not sure the HH can be configured as a wireless bridge like that - seen 1-2 people reporting managing to do it via unlocking and flashing with a custom firmware but that was an older model.

Man of Honour
Had some weird issues yesterday playing around with the Netgear DM200 - grabbed one cheap as I wanted a backup incase my main VDSL modem (using BT FTTC) ever died - once setup to test I noticed straight away that web pages were taking 3x longer to initially establish a connection aside from that everything was working for me but one user when trying to load the bbc web-page or any website that linked in any way to the bbc site the browser (and they also tried a couple of different ones) would go straight to a grey screen with just one line of text saying randomly one of either generic_authentication_err or unspecified_authentication_err and another user couldn't get the Channel 4 player to work whatsoever - going back to the normal modem and everything was fine - the device was just setup in dumb modem mode connected to an Asus RT-N66U so shouldn't really have had any impact on what traffic was flowing through it. Very odd.

Back
Top Bottom