BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

APM

APM

Associate
I'm going to call them up myself to see if the discount I have with the tv will carry on if I re-contract with them.

Can't say I think it will.

Associate
Had a letter about price increase. If I want to move ISP, do I have to sign up for a new ISP and then call BT or call BT and then sign up for a new deal? How does this work as I don't want to be without Internet.

Soldato
I'm going to call them up myself to see if the discount I have with the tv will carry on if I re-contract with them.

Can't say I think it will.

Yeah but personally I don't want to continue with the TV even at the discounted rate, just want to be sure that doesn't get extended as well.

APM

APM

Associate
Talk Talk are looking the best option for a switch for me at the moment,I know a few people in here don't like them too much though.

Soldato
Talk Talk are looking the best option for a switch for me at the moment,I know a few people in here don't like them too much though.
Talk Talk were absolutely fine when I was with them. I only moved on principle - a mid-contract price raise and then an online operator making me an offer to stay and then 2hrs later a supervisor telling me that was a mistake and I couldn't have that deal.
With Vodafone at the moment and despite many people not liking them, they too are proving to be fine.

APM

APM

Associate
Talk Talk were absolutely fine when I was with them. I only moved on principle - a mid-contract price raise and then an online operator making me an offer to stay and then 2hrs later a supervisor telling me that was a mistake and I couldn't have that deal.
With Vodafone at the moment and despite many people not liking them, they too are proving to be fine.
#

That's good to know stoofa,how long were you with TalkTalk?

Soldato
I was with them for an 18 month contract and then 6 months into a second 18 month contract, so about 2 years in total. I got a good sync of 76/19 and could honestly count on one hand the number of outages I had over that time.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

I have been with talktalk for a couple of years now, ive had a solid 80/20 sync for that whole time, no outages ever, and ive never seen single thread performance lower than the full line rate. Latency is around 7ms to bbc.co.uk.

Perfect connection as far as i am concerned. We are getting FTTP soon so i will leave them then, but not due to their service levels.

Associate
Talk Talk have been fine for me for years just started a new 18month contract fibre large. Hope you don't get the HG633 router if you do go with Talk Talk, the worst router I have ever used changed from that router after one day.

Associate
I'm currently paying £36.50 for Infinity 2; shortly to be £39.
I really don't like the idea of mid contract price rises so am considering going elsewhere, but is switching likely to be hassle-free with 0 downtime?

On BT I have a very low ping to the VPN server I use & the sync speed has crept up over time - is this likely to be jepordised/reset with a move?

Can't decide if it's worth the hassle or not, which I guess is what they rely on :(

APM

APM

Associate
I've only swopped once in a long time,VM to BT and it all went well,including the fact that I needed a new phone line fitting.

So much that I'm considering all options this year.

I did tell VM to finish a week after the BT line went live so I could still use the VM if BT had any issues setting me up but that openreach line is in for a while now and plusnet,talktalk etc would all use that hardware.

Can you use your own kit with TalkTalk then?
I like the sound of that.

Man of Honour
Sigh - BT phasing out the ability to stay logged into their webmail with 20 minute timeout :( guess I'm gonna have to script it to keep logging me back in - I don't need the security considerations and its a PITA when you are actually doing stuff.

Caporegime
Sigh - BT phasing out the ability to stay logged into their webmail with 20 minute timeout :( guess I'm gonna have to script it to keep logging me back in - I don't need the security considerations and its a PITA when you are actually doing stuff.

Can't you just setup a client to pull every ten minutes or something?

Man of Honour
Can't you just setup a client to pull every ten minutes or something?

Contrary to many people I find webmail suited to my needs. My desktop and phone, etc. auto lock after a few minutes (or less) of inactivity so I don't need additional security at the email client level - I dunno why they can't just leave it as an advanced configurable option even if it isn't the default - just because there are some idiots out there shouldn't penalise everyone.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Ok, does anyone know if BT give you rebates based on your speed?

I'm signed upto

Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 2
  • Unlimited usage
  • Up to 76Mb download speed
  • Unlimited BT Wi-Fi minutes
  • Online storage with BT Cloud
  • Line Rental Included

Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan
Active add-ons & Calling features

• BT Privacy with Caller Display

Now as far as I can tell, this *should* be costing circa £55 a month for infinity, £4 for calls and £5 for the BT Privacy.

Just checking on my account, im paying out £67 a month... so.. about right.

But theyre billing me quarterly for £30-47 a quarter.

As such I now have a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge account credit. But why am I being undercharged so much. The only thing I can think is im actually syncing at 17Mb, so theyre applying some sort of rebate so compensate.

17/76 = 0.25
£67*0.27 = £14.98
£14.98*3 = £44.96

Back
Top Bottom