BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
If you think BT are giving you money back because of your slow speeds, I'm a Nigerian Prince and I have a great investment plan for you. ;)

Never in my experience have they done it automatically - I know 1-2 people have managed when BT have screwed things up and/or can't deliver as promised like the issues with the Poplar exchange.

Man of Honour
Contrary to many people I find webmail suited to my needs. My desktop and phone, etc. auto lock after a few minutes (or less) of inactivity so I don't need additional security at the email client level - I dunno why they can't just leave it as an advanced configurable option even if it isn't the default - just because there are some idiots out there shouldn't penalise everyone.
I also prefer webmail. Although email servers scan for malware, I'd much rather any potential nasties stayed on their servers rather than being downloaded to my computer.

APM

APM

Associate
What a dirty trick to pull though,this contract change a few weeks before xmas when no one cba to do that or would want to risk a loss of services over that period.
Really very very low.

Associate
What a dirty trick to pull though,this contract change a few weeks before xmas when no one cba to do that or would want to risk a loss of services over that period.
Really very very low.

I quit anyway, despite the risk - service changes over on the 20th. In fairness to BT they did offer a better deal to make me stay so it might be worth giving notice.

Man of Honour
You'd best do that sooner rather than later really,unless you want to ride it out of course.

Yeah they are likely to just cut you off with no warning even when they are the ones that have messed up over billing :s and if the problem is on their end they will likely be very slow to resolve it while expecting you to have sorted it as of yesterday if its on your end.

Associate
Yeah, John Lewis (well, Plusnet) - £8 a month cheaper than BT and I get a free Google Home (which I totally don't need but, you know, new toys to play with :D ). I could have gone straight to Plusnet and got the same deal (minus the Google Home) for a quid cheaper but would have had to sign an 18 month contract, rather than 12 with JL. After having cable broadband for over 20 years until April this year it feels weird getting broadband from a posh shop :)

In fairness BT were cool about it - they said "oh that's OK, we own plusnet so we're sort of keeping you as a customer so that's nice". They did offer a deal but didn't give it the hard sell or anything.

Soldato
I'm using a TP-Link TD-W9970 that I bought recently with PlusNet Fibre Extra. Does anyone know why my downstream current rate keeps dropping, despite my max rate increasing on a daily basis? From what I can tell, it hasn't dropped the PPPoE connection for 11 days.

lLp2BSj.png

Soldato
Same happened to me the last time I had to reset the router (due to needing to turn the power off). The maximum rate slowly crept up but the actual rate crept down.

Soldato
So I finally got the price increase letter but as I'm still currently in my intro period, it doesn't affect me until October anyway. What has annoyed me though is that they're not increasing my speeds even though my line is capable. Anyone else in the same boat?

Soldato
Any decent deals knocking around for January? Seems an absolute minefield of different prices across TCB, Quidco, uSwitch, Moneysavingexpert etc.

Currently with Plusnet on Fibre Unlimited Extra but only getting an upload of 7 mbits, so tempted to jump ship to Infinity Unlimited,

Our 24th month contract ran out in December..

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for the HH5 on Infinity 2? Been looking at the TP Link Archer series but open to suggestions - cheers.

Soldato
Any decent deals knocking around for January? Seems an absolute minefield of different prices across TCB, Quidco, uSwitch, Moneysavingexpert etc.

Currently with Plusnet on Fibre Unlimited Extra but only getting an upload of 7 mbits, so tempted to jump ship to Infinity Unlimited,

Our 24th month contract ran out in December..
Your speed is unlikely to change between different providers, in case you didn't know. If you mean you can get a cheaper package because you can't take advantage of faster speeds in more expensive packages then fair enough.

Soldato
Your speed is unlikely to change between different providers, in case you didn't know. If you mean you can get a cheaper package because you can't take advantage of faster speeds in more expensive packages then fair enough.

Ended up staying with Plusnet.

Fibre unlimited extra, line rental, anytime UK calls, 2000 mobile minutes and caller display feature for £35.99 a month. 18 month contract.

So £10 a month cheaper than we currently pay with them, and the added bonus of the mobile phone minutes!

They did this to match the Vodafone fibre deals that are currently available.

Associate
So BT decided to offer me a new deal with the price increases to match the best offer at the time, Infinity 2 and phone for £26.99 a month. Fantastic!

So a week goes by and my speeds haven't risen, strange. So I email them asking why. Response was "sorry, will be actioned in the next 48 hours". I assume you can guess where this is going. The next communication involved them telling me "sorry, your line isn't capable of the speed we said, so we can't offer better, but it's still a really good price so personally I think you should be happy.

Unsurprisingly that comment was one too far, and I've promptly told them where to shove it. Repeated lying about service provision and then being very reluctant to deal with it.

Oh, and my line not being suitable? I now have a 75mbit stable connection with Plusnet. Ironic, seeing as they're a wholly owned BT subsidiary...

Moral of the story, I will never use BT directly again.

Permabanned
I pay 22.50pm for 80mb and i pay my rental up front with mastercard yet they ripped us all off with the contract thing. The lady told me i can cancel or go elsewhere but to stay at tbe same price is impossible it will rise by whatever it was. So what happened to having a contact? They can back out at will?

We talked for an hour or so about life and xmas and i resigned for 22.50 for 18 months. So really they have just given us all a shakedown to renew all the contracts. I bet some lowly creature thought that up as a christmas bonus for the shareholders lol. Oink

Really SOGEA and Skype should be the death of these swines.

Back
Top Bottom