BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Depending on the engineer you get on the day you might find they are OK to bring the overhead cable into a (boarded, accessible) loft space and put the splice there

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Depending on the engineer you get on the day you might find they are OK to bring the overhead cable into a (boarded, accessible) loft space and put the splice there
It's got 25mm conduit (MK) run to where it needs to go with space to install the CSP there if needed, ive put all the draw cables in place ready for it. So there is no need to even go in the loft but that is boarded out.

Caporegime
Oh in that case you'll be fine. It's when people expect Openreach engineers to be fishing wires inside walls that things tend to come apart quite quickly. You need to have the CSP because the drop cable has to be connected to an internal cable somehow - they can't fit the fibre connector onto the drop cable.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Oh in that case you'll be fine. It's when people expect Openreach engineers to be fishing wires inside walls that things tend to come apart quite quickly. You need to have the CSP because the drop cable has to be connected to an internal cable somehow - they can't fit the fibre connector onto the drop cable.
I would never do that, partly because I don't know what that engineers level of work is like which is why I prep stuff all ready for them.

Caporegime
Also having the fibre cable accessible doesn't really help much - Virgin Media have their boxes on the front of the house because coaxial cable is connectorized, they can go around and disconnect people and test the network at those points. The CSP contains a spliced joint - you can't get to it to diagnose anything unless you cut it. The only advantage of having the CSP is that it allows Openreach to replace your cable without you needing to be home, which is a very unlikely scenario as you'd want to be home anyway to check that your internet has come back up, and isn't worth having to live with cables down the front of your house every day for the once in 20 year time it might be needed.

I'm underground fed so it's not an issue because the CSP just replaces the existing cover where the copper line goes through the wall, but if I was overhead I'd want the cable to go straight into the loft space as well.

Caporegime
It's been spliced for a while now, the field-fit connectors that went onto the internal part of the normal drop cable had too high a failure rate.

Caporegime
That splicing seems so intricate when you see it on YouTube. It’s a wonder it works at all. My engineer did say it could break at any time though. Eventually they could end up spending more time fixing existing installations than they do connecting up new ones.

Soldato
BT have sent me a smart hub 2 to replace my old hub as I'm moving over to digital voice, I assume once set up I can just go into settings and change the new hubs details to my old network name and wifi password to save having to re connect all my devices?

Back
Top Bottom