Burnout Paradise Official Thread

V1N

V1N

Associate
This is damned good isn't it.

My fears have been put to rest.
I wasn't so sure about the open map, and the loss of Burnout as we know it.

I just did the Road Rage mode.
Exactly the same frantic action as the old burnout games, where you have to take down as many cars as possible in the time alloted. I guess it gets harder later... I had to takedown 3 cars, and I got 30 lol

Anyway, group C license now... and I'm rather concerned to see I've completed 10% of the game already too. Well, guess it gets harder now, I've not lost a race or anything yet.

While I was doing my Road Rage, and my car got damaged, it would recommend I find an auto repair shop. When I drove past one, I'd go through and get fixed up. I was expecting an icon to appear on my minimap, to tell me there's an auto repair shop there. It didn't though, just kept the one icon on the screen, for the original auto repair shop. Maybe it doesn't add them if you're part way through an event?

Anyway, I'm literally going to have to tear myself away. My total time played is already 2 hours ;)

So, I'm going to stop posting every time I find something.

I just wanted to put peoples minds at rest, who were thinking along the same lines as me. That the old Burnout is dead and buried, and some boring new open map has replaced it.

Fear not, I love the old Burnout games, possibly more than most, and had real trepidation that this was going to be crap, or at least, not do the series justice.

It does. The races ARE just as much fun, if not more so. The gameplay feels very familiar, except that you don't flick the brake to slide around the corner any more... I've done that a few times, out of habit, and just done the e-spin ;)

The old style races/Road Rage are still there. Easy to find and participate in. The time it takes you to just drive to a traffic light and start a race is probably quicker than it used to be to choose an event from the menu, and wait for it to load.

So far, I'm giving this a 9/10. Not perfect, I think the map could work better, but, other than that, it's bloody fun, it looks and performs as well as you could ask. In the two hours, with many races, crashes, etc, no slowdown whatsoever, no tearing, just silky smooth, lovely graphics, that handles just perfectly... just nudge the joystick ever so slightly, and ease it around the corners, the rumble is use excellently, and I'm loving the soundtracks.

I've not even played online yet! So that's a 9/10 just for the single player.
I should imagine the online side would be similar to the demo. Press right, and basically, you're off.

Ah, hell to it, I'm going to have a quick peek online, now my connection is available again :)

V1N.

EDIT: and now I've gone back into it, the auto repair shops that I visited during the Road Rage are now on the minimap, so no worries there.

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Another thing I've noticed which is utterly brilliant.

Each road has a "Sign" that appears in your HUD, and each road has 2 challenges - ShowTime and Time.

If the sign is Green, you've completed that challenge, if it's red, you need to do it.

BUT, it also shows you which player is the highest ranked in the world too, so again, not only have you got the game to play in Single Player, THEN multiplayer you've ALSO got a constant goal of trying to beat some random player who has their name embedded in the game at all times until it's beaten!!!

Associate
Another thing I've noticed which is utterly brilliant.

Each road has a "Sign" that appears in your HUD, and each road has 2 challenges - ShowTime and Time.

If the sign is Green, you've completed that challenge, if it's red, you need to do it.

BUT, it also shows you which player is the highest ranked in the world too, so again, not only have you got the game to play in Single Player, THEN multiplayer you've ALSO got a constant goal of trying to beat some random player who has their name embedded in the game at all times until it's beaten!!!

Mine was telling me I had the highest online score for Watt Street, but I don't think that is right. Its a possibility though, since the game isn't out yet.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Could well be, if it says "Online" at the start, then yeah, that's the internet highscore! Well done matey!

What you think to it then?

Caporegime
I am online now on PS3 if anyone wants to mess around!!

After much holding the camera steady I have managed to make my Drivers License picture:

rp2000.jpg

rp2000

Soldato
After all the possitive comments about the full game i'm quite tempted now.

Was put off by the demo however I've always been a burnout fan. Have to wait till the 7th till I get paid though :/

Hmmmmm

~J~

~J~

Soldato
I've only found 2 negatives, one's quite big.

The first is the online, if someone sets a challenge, you can be in a place where doing that challenge is either VERY tough or impossible (like billboard breaker), so you have to then race around or go to the city to find an area where you can perform the challenge.

The other one, quite major, is when going into freeroam, I've had it twice now where it's simply said "Connecting to Paradise Servers" and that's it. Have left it 20 mins while it's doing nothing. In the end I had no option but to go to dashboard and restart.

Could be Live, but considering it's not officially out till tomorrow for the UK, I'm wondering if the servers are gonna cope.

Soldato
The other one, quite major, is when going into freeroam, I've had it twice now where it's simply said "Connecting to Paradise Servers" and that's it. Have left it 20 mins while it's doing nothing. In the end I had no option but to go to dashboard and restart.

Got that in the demo a few times, very annoying back then, thought they would have added a time out limit, so if it never connected after a minute or so it just stopped, hopefully they can patch that.

Soldato
What's making you bored? There's so much to do.

Theres a lot to do, but its all pretty samey, im finding it more and more like Crackdown than anything else, what there is is good, but there isnt much variation.

I can see it having a longer time pick up and play for 20 minutes once or twice a week appeal rather than being something id play constantly over months.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Theres a lot to do, but its all pretty samey, im finding it more and more like Crackdown than anything else, what there is is good, but there isnt much variation.

I can see it having a longer time pick up and play for 20 minutes once or twice a week appeal rather than being something id play constantly over months.

Yeah I can see what you're saying. I think the ultimate lastibility is gonna be online. Single player I'm not getting bored at all, although I can see why some would, but I'm certainly gonna be getting frustrated looking for a billboard I've missed or something. Thankfully you can have an overview of the districts to see how many 'goals' are there and what you've got, so it takes away the Crackdown element a little whereby you just hoped you stumbled upon one.

But I definately see what you're saying.

Back
Top Bottom