Bye Bye Game!

Soldato
They've been around as far back as I can remember (Before I was born actually) so it'll be wierd seeing them go. Saying that I rarely buy from them, the last two games I bought from them were L4D2 and RE5 on their respective release dates. Shame that many more people will lose their jobs in the current climate but I can't say I'll really miss that company as a whole all that much.

Soldato
The guys in Stratford upon Avon were always very friendly, so I feel sorry for them if they are out of a job.
The high street is dying. :(

On that note, I might take a trip in to see if theres anything worth having! ;)

Associate
Glad to see the end of them to be honest. As a company they were incredably arrogant ant put pretty much every othe game shop out of business in the late 90s/early 2000s leaving almost no choice or competition.

Online retailers and supermarkets have in effect done to them what they gleefully did to others.

I miss EB and my friendly independent gaming shop... Bah Humbug...

Umm, yeah, I remeber the "good old days" of £40 PC CD ROM titles, £50 for the 7th Guest or Megarace from a local indie store. So I welcomed the purchasing power that Game and EB brought.
I also remember my jaw hitting the floor with the FMV intro to the CDROM of Dune, with the intro from the film with Virgina Madsen being demo'd instore. That this could be done on a PC was incredible to me at the time.

/edit Although at £50 it was still cheaper than Mario on the SNES /edit

Associate
Sorry for the general staff but game deserve this, they have gouged their customers for years. Full RRP for most things and a trade in policy which screws the customer over once again. Good riddance, they never adapted to the market and never attempted to offer anything at a competetive price.

Caporegime
I love the hate for game's business model from the economists on the forum.

Did it ever occur to you that if they reduced the price of the new games then it's entirely possible that the stores would be operating at a loss? I heard that Nintendo sold games to independant game retailers AT RRP. In other words if the RRP was £39.99 Nintendo would sell the indie game shop the game at £39.99 a copy. I.E. ZERo profit unless they manage to flog some warranty or an accessory or even a Brady game guide. Difficult staying in business making no profit, right?

Now Game may have had more marketing clout than that, but if Nintendo sell to game at £35 a copy, £5 is all they make. If they even sell 10 copies of that game that only pays for one member of staff. Rent, pay for the other staff, electrical bills, all these things are reduced by having a giant warehouse where rent is cheap per sq/ft compared to a shopping centre where it could be 3 or 4 times the price. The margin on hardware these days is equally tight, often in single figure percentages. Yes Amazon can sell something cheaper but when you can order 50,000 a time, all for delivery to half a dozen warehouses instead of 400 stores it becomes MUCH cheaper. I have bought stuff from game recently, even today as I had money on a Game card which i wanted to use so I got the kids a few games, just in case but I rarely buy PC stuff from them anymore. Mainly because they hardly stock PC stuff anymore either!

Associate
Bummer for the manager of the Game store in my town.
He use to be the manager of 'Our price' music store they went bust & Game moved into where 'Our price' was & he got the manager job for Game.
Now it's happened again.

Associate
Some reasonable points, but quite simply..they had huge buying power and never passed on the discounts to customers. They stuck to the RRP for the most part and their trade ins were a true rip off. I own a shop/business and know that to remain in business in 2012 you need to treat their customers well and when you can, be competetive. They gouged and it caught up with them.

Caporegime
I love the hate for game's business model from the economists on the forum.

Did it ever occur to you that if they reduced the price of the new games then it's entirely possible that the stores would be operating at a loss? I heard that Nintendo sold games to independant game retailers AT RRP. In other words if the RRP was £39.99 Nintendo would sell the indie game shop the game at £39.99 a copy. I.E. ZERo profit unless they manage to flog some warranty or an accessory or even a Brady game guide. Difficult staying in business making no profit, right?

Now Game may have had more marketing clout than that, but if Nintendo sell to game at £35 a copy, £5 is all they make. If they even sell 10 copies of that game that only pays for one member of staff. Rent, pay for the other staff, electrical bills, all these things are reduced by having a giant warehouse where rent is cheap per sq/ft compared to a shopping centre where it could be 3 or 4 times the price. The margin on hardware these days is equally tight, often in single figure percentages. Yes Amazon can sell something cheaper but when you can order 50,000 a time, all for delivery to half a dozen warehouses instead of 400 stores it becomes MUCH cheaper. I have bought stuff from game recently, even today as I had money on a Game card which i wanted to use so I got the kids a few games, just in case but I rarely buy PC stuff from them anymore. Mainly because they hardly stock PC stuff anymore either!

Game overinvested in the high street right when property was expensive and high street trade in their goods was on the way out. That is their failing.

Associate
Shame for the Manager in Banbury always a helpful guy with customers for what I've seen to bang for there buck to say. Usually gives me an excuse to take a break from the wifebots shopping but at least they were competitive than HMV in the high street, best spend my points. What's going to happen with all the people who have taken out extended warrenties though on there consoles?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is that the Game in Eldon Square? Altho I am trying to think where the other branch is near there.

theres 2 in the same shopping centre :p
one inside fenwicks thats 5mins away...

then theres that other shop they own with a different name another 5minutes from fenwicks...

and they wonder why they are in trouble lol........

they should have shut down 4 shops and made a superone where woolworths used to be, probably would have been about the same floorspace if not more for far less money :D

Associate
I don't really care either way for them anymore. When I was younger I bought a lot of games in them, after an indie gaming store locally got wiped off the map anyway. Still don't really care, I order all my games off the internet now. :p.

Soldato
What with HMV gone and now GAME to close too there will be few places if any to just browse PC/console games or music & movies in HMVs case in my main shopping centre in Ealing Broadway!

Will pop on over to GAME to see if there is anything worth a punt - would probably only be interested in something for the 360 though ...

Soldato
I bought all my amiga games from Game, I purchased all my games from there and got a job there at 18, Worked there for a while and left 3 years later.

Since then I have only ever gone into a store in passing to speak to staff that are still there that I know, I would never purchase anything at their prices,

I am representative of their target audience, I am mid 20's, have disposable income, play too many games to be good for me and I still haven't bought anything from them for 5 years

No wonder it's going down the pan, I do really feel for the staff, I know guys that have been there for about 15 years, and 1 guy moved from my company to them only 6 months ago, I hope they find something soon

Soldato
There are two Game stores in Eldon Square, One is near boots and the other closer to the new part.

Was in one today and nothing of note was on sale tbh.

theres 2 in the same shopping centre :p
one inside fenwicks thats 5mins away...

then theres that other shop they own with a different name another 5minutes from fenwicks...

and they wonder why they are in trouble lol........

they should have shut down 4 shops and made a superone where woolworths used to be, probably would have been about the same floorspace if not more for far less money :D

Haha. Yeah totally forgot there were two in there. Such a shame. But then I think the only game I bought from there was FIFA 2003. I took it back 2 days later lol.

Since consoles took over and PC games were put to one "shelf", I never bothered with such places anymore.

Back
Top Bottom