Caffeine Detox Time

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
So I'm 2 and bit weeks in now and doing really well. I start my day with a hot pepper mint tea and no longer take naps, energy levels are pretty consistent. There have been days where I've felt like I had an energy cheat code, I got loads done and felt like I could have just kept going all day.

There have been a few evenings where I've felt a lot of tiredness and went to bed a bit early but only 30 minutes earlier than usual. Last night was such a night, was asleep by 10.30pm, but woke up at 4.30am to use the bathroom and then couldn't get back to sleep. I've had this before when I quit, it's as though the body decides 6 hours of sleep is all it needs and then it starts to wake you up. It will pass as it has before, and being caffeine free I can manage days on less sleep now.

I feel like my personality has changed as well, I'm more chatty and relaxed in social situations. Striking up conversations with strangers effortlessly now. Big meetings at work where I am presenting also feel different, I'm so much more relaxed and natural now. Caffeine was definitely making me more edgy and low grade 24/7 anxious.

I've been finding it easier to get into a focused/flow state with work, I'm able to control my impulses better and mood swings are almost non-existent now.

I feel like my personality has changed as well, I'm more chatty and relaxed in social situations. Striking up conversations with strangers effortlessly now. Big meetings at work where I am presenting also feel different, I'm so much more relaxed and natural now. Caffeine was definitely making me more edgy and low grade 24/7 anxious.

Rate this so much, well done.

I know it's anecdotal for the most part but I do wonder if so much of the anxiety ridden population we have currently is at least in some way influenced, or certainly exacerbated, by our abuse of caffeine.

I'm able to control my impulses better

I can't remember where I read it, might've even been here somewhere, but allegedly caffeine can impact your shopping traits and how you spend your money, in a negative way. Like, you'll just buy random stuff or spend money frivolously. I'd never connected those dots but I wonder if I'm the same.

Reactions: LiE
I've been on decaff for a few weeks and definiately feel better for it. I had a normal coffee as i was at a friends on Sunday morning and i could immediately feel the anxiety kicking in after i had finished the cup.

So I'm 2 and bit weeks in now and doing really well. I start my day with a hot pepper mint tea and no longer take naps, energy levels are pretty consistent. There have been days where I've felt like I had an energy cheat code, I got loads done and felt like I could have just kept going all day.

There have been a few evenings where I've felt a lot of tiredness and went to bed a bit early but only 30 minutes earlier than usual. Last night was such a night, was asleep by 10.30pm, but woke up at 4.30am to use the bathroom and then couldn't get back to sleep. I've had this before when I quit, it's as though the body decides 6 hours of sleep is all it needs and then it starts to wake you up. It will pass as it has before, and being caffeine free I can manage days on less sleep now.

I've been finding it easier to get into a focused/flow state with work, I'm able to control my impulses better and mood swings are almost non-existent now.

Sounds like it's working for you. Well done!

I'd hate to feel the way you do by drinking coffee, so it definitely makes sense to reduce or cut it out!

Do you think you'll go back to coffee again? Or is this it for you?

I can't remember where I read it, might've even been here somewhere, but allegedly caffeine can impact your shopping traits and how you spend your money, in a negative way. Like, you'll just buy random stuff or spend money frivolously. I'd never connected those dots but I wonder if I'm the same.

This study sums it up nicely

"Caffeine, as a powerful stimulant, releases dopamine in the brain, which excites the mind and the body. This leads to a higher energetic state, which in turn enhances impulsivity and decreases self-control"

I've been on decaff for a few weeks and definiately feel better for it. I had a normal coffee as i was at a friends on Sunday morning and i could immediately feel the anxiety kicking in after i had finished the cup.

Good to hear. I think the more aware you are of the effects of caffeine the less likely you are to want to ingest it.

Sounds like it's working for you. Well done!

I'd hate to feel the way you do by drinking coffee, so it definitely makes sense to reduce or cut it out!

Do you think you'll go back to coffee again? Or is this it for you?

Don't get me wrong, on caffeine I'm not a complete wreck, but as I mentioned above I'm acutely aware of it's effects. This in turn leads me to reflect on the negatives. Many people are blissfully unaware of the impact caffeine is having on them and don't make a connection to negative effects. Some people also have a gene meaning they aren't very respondent to caffeine.

I really hope I don't go back. The real challenge becomes when I get run down or ill and I need a pick me up.

Went caffeine free about a month ago, not noticed any difference

I read the decaf subreddit a lot and there is such a variety of experiences to coming off caffeine.

Last edited:
I'd definitely like to lower my caffeine intake but with a 5 month old it's not on the cards for a little while. It definitely gives me a background level of anxiety I'd like to get rid of.

I'd definitely like to lower my caffeine intake but with a 5 month old it's not on the cards for a little while. It definitely gives me a background level of anxiety I'd like to get rid of.

Caffeine is definitely not good for inducing anxiety. It's why those on anti anxiety meds are recommended coming off caffeine. My wife hasn't had caffeine in 20 years.

It's strange when you think we are effectively turning on our fight or flight response constantly, it's just not natural and it's unsurprising this negatively impacts humans.

A lot of really interesting stuff going on in here. I'm not anti caffeine and am happy with my 1 cup a day. I have no issues going without and often do. I don't notice negative side effects from having caffeine and I don't miss it when I don't have it.

I know I'm not a none responder from situations where I have a coffee in the afternoon occasionally and I will struggle to sleep, but I'm also not reliant on it, and don't feel like I show any other signs of negative effects. I'm not an impulse shopper, no amount of coffee has ever lead me to want to spend more!

I may give no caffeine a go at some point but don't know if I will benefit positively in ways others have seeing as I don't seem to suffer negatively from my current intake levels.

I drink copious amounts of coffee, and I NEVER spend money frivolously!

Perhaps I need to stop drinking so much (never) and I might spend more!

I think all of our experiences are unique and a lot of it comes down to genetics, like @LiE 's comment below.

There's probably a million factors at play all interacting with each other, which can vary wildly from one person to the next.

Some people also have a gene meaning they aren't very respondent to caffeine.

Nearly 3 weeks in and this has been a strange detox. Usually the worst of the withdrawal is up front as you remove caffeine from your system, but this time its delayed. The first couple of weeks were fine, until towards the end I started getting headaches. That went away after a few days and this last week I've been exhausted. Waking up is hard, brain fog is real, eyes feel heavy and I cannot shake it. I stood in front of the kettle this morning as it boiled battling myself not to drop a breakfast tea bag into the mug instead of my usual peppermint. So I sit here drinking my peppermint tea feeling like it's 3am already reminding myself why I'm doing this. My guess is this is my body properly dealing with withdrawal now so I need to suck it up and come out the other side.

You're almost there fella, keep at it. The other side will be better.

I know I need to do something here myself (haven't figured out exactly how yet), reading your journey is motivating, thank you.

Nearly 3 weeks in and this has been a strange detox. Usually the worst of the withdrawal is up front as you remove caffeine from your system, but this time its delayed. The first couple of weeks were fine, until towards the end I started getting headaches. That went away after a few days and this last week I've been exhausted. Waking up is hard, brain fog is real, eyes feel heavy and I cannot shake it. I stood in front of the kettle this morning as it boiled battling myself not to drop a breakfast tea bag into the mug instead of my usual peppermint. So I sit here drinking my peppermint tea feeling like it's 3am already reminding myself why I'm doing this. My guess is this is my body properly dealing with withdrawal now so I need to suck it up and come out the other side.

Eerily similar symptoms to me, it's hitting me harder now, like a delayed onset of withdrawal.

I'm compensating with diet cokes without caffeine, to be honest they taste the same to me and give me a sweet kick once a day. But nothing quite matches the caffeine hit I got from espresso based drinks or energy drinks.

Weirdly my sleep has improved but I'm having to nap more in the day now, I'm also struggling to find some words in my day to day speech. Hopefully it'll blow over, that, or I've got some other concerning issue :D

You're almost there fella, keep at it. The other side will be better.

From what I'm reading it can take months and months to properly get to the other side. Not saying it's not worth it, but the impact caffeine has on the brain is wild. If you're sensitive to it, umpteen times so.

Last edited:
I tried quitting caffeine a few years ago. The headaches passed after a few days, only to be replaced by crippling constipation. One coffee later a and things were regular again :)

I now have a real coffee in the morning, another at lunchtime and that's it for the day.

Eerily similar symptoms to me, it's hitting me harder now, like a delayed onset of withdrawal.

I'm compensating with diet cokes without caffeine, to be honest they taste the same to me and give me a sweet kick once a day. But nothing quite matches the caffeine hit I got from espresso based drinks or energy drinks.

Weirdly my sleep has improved but I'm having to nap more in the day now, I'm also struggling to find some words in my day to day speech. Hopefully it'll blow over, that, or I've got some other concerning issue :D

From what I'm reading it can take months and months to properly get to the other side. Not saying it's not worth it, but the impact caffeine has on the brain is wild. If you're sensitive to it, umpteen times so.

I had a couple cups of tea yesterday as I was really struggling to get any work done and hated how I was feeling. In a way I am glad I did because although my alertness went up, I still could feel the underlying tiredness. It reminded me of how I felt just before I quit - exhausted but awake and stimulated, but not actually feeling good.

Toady I am back on track, most of the tiredness has gone and I'm optimistic.

I tried quitting caffeine a few years ago. The headaches passed after a few days, only to be replaced by crippling constipation. One coffee later a and things were regular again :)

I now have a real coffee in the morning, another at lunchtime and that's it for the day.

Coffee has a lot of fiber it in so that is usually why you get backed up. I had it for a few days but I've been making sure I eat more fiber and it's all good now.

If we're keeping each other honest and accountable, I relapsed today - had a monster energy drink.

Clearly me enjoying less anxiety, better focus, and improved sleep wasn't worth it.

Honestly feel a bit gutted, we're fickle creatures, aren't we? :)

Coffee has a lot of fiber it in so that is usually why you get backed up. I had it for a few days but I've been making sure I eat more fiber and it's all good now.

I eat a bunch of fibre every day.

I should have kept going, but since then I only have 2 coffees per day (one at breakfast and another at lunchtime) and no other caffeine.

If we're keeping each other honest and accountable, I relapsed today - had a monster energy drink.

Clearly me enjoying less anxiety, better focus, and improved sleep wasn't worth it.

Honestly feel a bit gutted, we're fickle creatures, aren't we? :)
Something I have wondered if you manage to go say 2 weeks without a coffee then slip up. Does that reset you back to day 1 or is it more like it knocks you back x days in terms of withdrawal and getting over the effects of caffeine. So if you go back to no Coffee you are just behind where you would be had you not slipped up. Likewise if you go from daily to only on weekends would that over a much longer time detox you? I can see myself drastically cutting back on Coffee but not giving it up. So I am wondering is it worth while cutting back if I don't plan to give it up?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom