Can money buy happiness?

aln

aln

Associate
This ^.

I've never understood lottery winners who say they wish they'd never won and had never been so miserable, blah, blah, blah.

Think about it: you are in a position to do whatever the hell you want with the rest of your life, rather than have that decision forced upon you and/or constrained by your current circumstances. I love my job, but my destiny is in the hands of others - I can't see why having that control back in your own hands is something to be unhappy about?

Depending on how much you'd won, you can set your parents up for the remainder of their lives - that simple act alone would give me more enjoyment than any of the immediate benefits that came my way. I would love to see my parents want for nothing, in return for the love and stability they gave and sacrifices they made for me as a child.

Okay, I guess the biggest problem would be finding something to do with the rest of your days, but compared to life as a wage slave, constantly rising cost of living and some bugger always dipping into your pocket for something or other, that's the kind of problem I'd like to have!

It's because they're idiots. Worried that people don't like them for them? They should stop driving around in expensive cars or living in a stupidly expensive house, or owning anything stupidly expensive. Basically stop having flash that you don't need nor apparently want considering their whining.

The most telling point is that they can give it all away but they don't. In reality that means they know fine well they've got it good they just like to moan.

Personally I'd love enough money to not have to worry about money. Buying expensive stuff is largely unimportant when compared to having the ability to choose what you spend your time on.

Soldato
Those who say that it cannot buy happiness are hopeless romantics, basing their opinion on their own situation and outlook rather than a logical assessment of the world they actually live in.

I think the problem most people are having is that they are misreading the question or they are reading it correctly and the OP worded it incorrectly.

If the question was "Does money always buy happiness" then the answer is definitely no, there are many people in many situations who's outlook would not be "happy" with more money. But "can" it? Yes it definitely can, provably.

Soldato
If I woke up every day and all I had to worry about was what new stuff to buy, what nice food and drink to have and what expensive activities to do that day to occupy my time. I would be happy.... Call me shallow or whatever you want.... But I am just being realistic as opposed to some romantic statement which is not actually based on reality.

Associate
Happiness is relative, I believe. Money will "buy" happiness if you get it at some point down the line after having lived without it for some time. People who grow/grew up without it, I would say yes it can "buy" them happiness.

Soldato
I dont see how i would be unhappy if i won 50million.

Im pretty happy with life now, so to just be able to go on a holiday or 2 a year and have a nice big house is surely only going to make me happier? :)

Soldato
I'm shallower than a deflated kid's paddle pool. Money brings me a great deal of joy.

Mainly because of the things you can do with it. You can help people, help yourself, influence the world (depending how much you had) etc.

Back
Top Bottom