Cant get new sofas through living room door

When I got my last sofa in order to get it into my living room, the arms and base had to be removed and then reattached once it was in the room. I did ensure that this was made clear to the company I bought it from after measuring my entrances and comparing it to the size of the sofa.

Not looking forward to if I move :)

Surprised how society functioned before the days of the internet and social media...

Your trying to get a piece of furniture through a door and you feel the need to post this 'epic problem' online complete with photos!..

Get and grip (literally) and work it out!

Beggars belief!

Put the bottom in first, with the top angled against the stairs, rotate it towards the right with the back of the sofa going in first and then rotating through the door. Pull the bottom through as the top slides down the stairs and maybe towards the left.

i think i tried this but the opposite way round which was no good and i was on my own. once my 2 helpers turn up i can try the more advanced techniques.

Surprised how society functioned before the days of the internet and social media...

Your trying to get a piece of furniture through a door and you feel the need to post this 'epic problem' online complete with photos!..

Get and grip (literally) and work it out!

Beggars belief!

a problem shared is a problem halved. also you know there will be some funny comments to read

i think i tried this but the opposite way round which was no good and i was on my own. once my 2 helpers turn up i can try the more advanced techniques.

You want to rotate the "L" shape of the sofa through the doorway and towards the open part of the room, otherwise you will be blocked by the door and it won't work. You need someone to support the top of the sofa as it comes down the side of the stairs, and someone inside the room to pull it though.

The first thing that needs to go through the door is one of the arms, probably easier to feed it on end from the side of the door towards the bottom of the stairs so theres more room to swing the sofa about.
I'd open the packaging, take out the cardboard and anything else in there to make it smaller, then put it back in the plastic so it doesn't get scuffed on the door frame.

Had to do similar... As above, remove all packaging, take feet off, cusions off etc.
Take door off its hinges gains you a valuable extra inch or two.
Move one strong friend inside the room.
Position sofa upright outside the room.
Rotate and pull the bottom of the sofa in while strong friend(s) on the outside support it and stop it sliding down the stair rail/damaging anything. (by rotate I mean in the Z axis, so bottom of sofa goes in, top of sofa stays put/goes out).

Slide it in bit by bit like this.

Normally SCS are paid to deliver to the room and remove all packaging, so am surprised they left you like this!

Call up and complain that it wasn't delivered properly... they should have taken it to where it's supposed to be:

At ScS, we want to ensure that the delivery of your new sofa, furniture or flooring goes as smoothly as possible, so you can enjoy your order from the moment it arrives. Find out everything you need to know about your delivery on this page.
Getting ready for your new sofa to be delivered
Before placing your order with us, we recommend that you measure the space where your new sofa is going to go, as well as the height and width of any doorways, hallways and staircases that our delivery team will need to fit your sofa through.

If it’s going to be a tight fit, please give us prior notice and our delivery crew will be able to add protective padding to your door frames to prevent any damage to your property. We can also wrap your sofa in a protective cover to ensure it passes through narrower doorways and routes unharmed.

Please let us know in advance if you spot any potential difficulties we may have in getting your new sofa into your home, particularly if we are unable to park nearby or you live in a flat up many flights of stairs.

On the agreed day that your sofa will be delivered, please make sure to clear a pathway for our delivery team from your front door to the space where your new sofa will be placed. This will ensure that our delivery team can deliver your sofa quickly, easily and without any damage to your new purchase or your property.
What if my sofa doesn’t fit?
As long as you have carefully measured the space for your new sofa and any doorways or hallways that your new sofa will have to fit through, and let us know of any issues with access that our delivery team may have, there should be no problems with the fitting of your new sofa.

However, in the unlikely event that your new sofa doesn’t fit, don’t worry, as we can arrange for a technician to dismantle it and then rebuild it in your home for an additional fee.

Please let us know in advance if a technician will need to dismantle your new sofa for delivery, otherwise our delivery team may have to take your sofa back to our warehouse, and unfortunately you may be charged for us to do so.

https://www.scs.co.uk/help-and-info/delivery/delivery-advice.html

I'd have got them to do it on the day... but now I'd be calling them up and getting them to do it.

Call up and complain that it wasn't delivered properly... they should have taken it to where it's supposed to be:

https://www.scs.co.uk/help-and-info/delivery/delivery-advice.html

I'd have got them to do it on the day... but now I'd be calling them up and getting them to do it.
Quite clearly states that he should have given them advance notice.

I have a similar layout to the OP with the banister making it difficult to get anything large into the lounge and I had to take the arms off the sofa and it just fit

Half of me is being serious... If you can't get the angle then cut out part of the bannister and remove the uprights. If you cut down at 45 either side inwards... Can slot it back in and glue it later...

Cheaper than returning a sofa you can't return.

Back
Top Bottom