Poll: Capello quits

Who should be England manager for Euro 2012?

• Alan Pardew

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Harry Redknapp

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • Jose Mourinho

Votes: 49 14.3%
  • Mark Hughes

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Martin O'Neill

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Roy Hodgson

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Sam Allardyce

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Steve Bruce

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Kean

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • Stuart Pearce

Votes: 39 11.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy;21228372 said:
They went home embarrassingly too. The negative football was unbearable considering the (supposed) talent in that starting lineup.

The cringeworthy bit was the fact that in U21 games you can hear the coaches as there are no fans making noises. There isn't a smiley to suitably sum up what we heard from Pearce, but laughably simple would sum it up, and repeated uses of 'get stuck in'

Soldato
Doesn't he have the best win percentage of any manager we've ever had :confused:

Why do people think by switching a great manager for one who isn't fit to tie his laces will make things better? Logic suggests things will get worse, surely?

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to read someone with exactly the same view as me :p I thought I was alone!

As someone said above, its the players who are to blame. Whoever takes the position will do no better than Capello and I would guess wouldn't reach the standards he achieved.

Me personally, I accept England aren't going to win every game. All I'd want is to see them entertain me. I'm going to throw Bielsa's name into the hat. Break the bank to get him in and at least we can sit back and enjoy the football, even if we don't win every match.

Soldato
Doesn't he have the best win percentage of any manager we've ever had :confused:

Why do people think by switching a great manager for one who isn't fit to tie his laces will make things better? Logic suggests things will get worse, surely?

A chimp could manage England. It is NOT a hard job. we have paid MILLIONS of pounds for disappointing results. %'s dont tell the whole story, sorry.
How did we do at the world cup again? what was our win % there?

Soldato
A chimp could manage England. It is NOT a hard job. we have paid MILLIONS of pounds for disappointing results. %'s dont tell the whole story, sorry.
How did we do at the world cup again? what was our win % there?

lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want to respond, I really do but I get the sad feeling that words would be wasted.

I bet you think all the players are amazing and all we need to do is let them play and we will win yeah?

Soldato
A chimp could manage England. It is NOT a hard job.

It seems we'll find out as we're seemingly employing a man with similar intelligence.

It's funny, because after WC2010, the press and public seemed to realise the desperate need for grass roots improvements, the fact that the players were/are purely not good enough (I'll never forget watching the ball bounce off our best players feet for 4 games in a row in feeble attempts to control the ball), a change in attitude from pashun (oh dear) to intelligence.

All been undone it seems. We're an embarrassment.

Last edited:
Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy;21228427 said:
I cannot tell you how relieved I am to read someone with exactly the same view as me :p I thought I was alone!

As someone said above, its the players who are to blame. Whoever takes the position will do no better than Capello and I would guess wouldn't reach the standards he achieved.

Me personally, I accept England aren't going to win every game. All I'd want is to see them entertain me. I'm going to throw Bielsa's name into the hat. Break the bank to get him in and at least we can sit back and enjoy the football, even if we don't win every match.

Bielsa :D our players would instantaneously vomit when he introduced his methods. They require thought.

Leave him at Bilbao, they're one of my favourite teams in Europe at the mo!

Soldato
Best thing I've read on f365 for a longtime/ever.

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/7498696/John-Nich

Great article, it echo's my thoughts around the insanity that is Redknapp, I just look forward to when he inevitably fails and how the press will cope. Do they eventually turn on the players :eek: or do they turn on 'Arry :eek::eek::eek: I think Fleet Street will implode at such a conundrum leaving just a crater the size of an atom bomb!

One thing from the article

Stan Collymore was reporting players' favourable response to a Redknapp appointment as though this in itself would justify it but surely he is not so dumb as to not realise that players always back the new man, just as they always back the old man right up until he is sacked or resigns.

He is, Stan Collymore could make the village idiot come acros as Einstein in comparisson.

Associate
lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want to respond, I really do but I get the sad feeling that words would be wasted.

I bet you think all the players are amazing and all we need to do is let them play and we will win yeah?

Unfortunately, part of the problem when we have brought in Foreign managers is they try to make the England team play in a European manner. It doesn't work. English players are brought up to play a certain way, 99% of them play in England, or at least Great Britain, their entire careers. The number of players we currently have who have actually played at a high level abroad are who exactly? Beckham, Owen, Hargreaves? All of whom will more than likely never play for England again.

If we are going to get in a Foreign manager I think it would have to be someone who has managed in England, and understands the English mentality behind football. Our players are just too stupid to play a European style of football effectively. In my view there are only three foriegn managers who understand this and could pull of the England job in the current climate, Mourinho, obviously, Hiddink, and Benitez.

Outside of those you only really have two viable English candidates, Redknapp and Hodgson, and you can pretty much discount Hodgson after what happened at Liverpool, and I still think now is the wrong time for Redknapp, another season or two at Spurs to make them a consistent top 4 team, which would provide him more champs league experience, and then give him the job. For now though, give it to Hiddink. He ticks every box, knows English football, and im my view far more critically knows how to handle a divided dressing room. What goes on with England would be childs play considering the stuff that apparently went on with Holland when he was in charge.

Permabanned
The team needs to play as a team, like they do for their club but when it comes to England they take it as a god given right to be picked and played, we always blame the manager but we should be blaming the players. We have just witnessed the "golden generation" of English football and they did squat.

Teams without superstars can win tournaments, look at Greece, we drew with them from a Beckham last minute goal and 3 years later they went on to win Euro 2004

Soldato
We need to impose Euro football on our players though, which IMO means dropping pretty much the entire squad.

You have the likes of Wilshire, Johnson, Ox and a few others who have grown through their clubs (or at these sorts of clubs now) they need to be brought in and we need to really change the outlook and mentality of the team through a progressive manager.

God knows though, I am honestly beyond caring now and I will try my hardest to ignore what will be the media circus for the next few weeks. Only thing that annoys me is despite how disinterested and ****** off I am with the whole situation I will still get sucked into it at the start of the Euro's :mad:

Caporegime
Best thing I've read on f365 for a longtime/ever.

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/7498696/John-Nich

Agreed

Today's arrogant bully, let us not forget, was appointed to instil discipline into a side indulged by Steve McClaren and Sven. It is a bitter irony that Sven was castigated - by those who now accuse Capello of being too cold and aggressive towards the players - for indulging the WAG culture and not showing enough emotion. What is a man to do? These two men took England through five qualifying campaigns and lost just two games. The Englishman in the middle of them lost three in just one. To ignore this fact as an inconvenient truth is an emblem of the stupidity on display here.

Associate
We need to impose Euro football on our players though, which IMO means dropping pretty much the entire squad.

You have the likes of Wilshire, Johnson, Ox and a few others who have grown through their clubs (or at these sorts of clubs now) they need to be brought in and we need to really change the outlook and mentality of the team through a progressive manager.

God knows though, I am honestly beyond caring now and I will try my hardest to ignore what will be the media circus for the next few weeks. Only thing that annoys me is despite how disinterested and ****** off I am with the whole situation I will still get sucked into it at the start of the Euro's :mad:

See I will never understand this. We need to impose Euro football why exactly? Do our players play European style football every week in the Prem or in the Champions League? No, they don't. They play a fast paced English style that is modified as needed depending on opposition.

We are not technically gifted throughout the team like Spain. We cannot beat them at their own game. Whats the point in trying. We do not have the German mentality. We don't have a team of cheating oiks like Italy. We can't play like Holland or France or Portugal.

England needs to have a system tailored to the English players, and to do that we need a manager who understands English football.

Soldato
England needs to have a system tailored to the English players, and to do that we need a manager who understands English football.

A system which has time and again proven to be not suitable when it comes to being sucessful, why perservere with something that doesn't work? That just smacks of idiocy or stubborness (which equates to idiocy.)

Associate
A system which has time and again proven to be not suitable when it comes to being sucessful, why perservere with something that doesn't work? That just smacks of idiocy or stubborness (which equates to idiocy.)

How has it been proven not suitable when we haven't used it for the best part of 20 years?

Soldato
The team needs to play as a team, like they do for their club but when it comes to England they take it as a god given right to be picked and played, we always blame the manager but we should be blaming the players. We have just witnessed the "golden generation" of English football and they did squat.

Teams without superstars can win tournaments, look at Greece, we drew with them from a Beckham last minute goal and 3 years later they went on to win Euro 2004

That is just nonsense, the notion that a team would want to underperform. Fact is Capello's tactics, like those before him, were archaic and not suited to the international game.

Soldato
(or at these sorts of clubs now)

Beacue neither Oxo or Johnson learned to play passing possesion football at the clubs who deleopled them? Suggest you drag your head out of the cave and show a little respect to two clubs (Saints and Midlesborough) who both play the game the way you advocate and one in particular which has a far better recent record of finding and developing premier league standard youngsters than yours.

Back
Top Bottom