Captain Marvel (2019)

Caporegime
Reddit Theory regarding very brief 'shooting star' memory sequence...

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...captain_marvel_easter_egg_megathread/ei428lt/

Remember that long sequence with the Skrulls probing Carol’s memory for answers to Mar-vell’s whereabouts? In it, there’s a tender moment between the future Captain Marvel and Monica Rambeau, daughter of Danvers’ bestie, Maria. They’re outside on a starry night and, just briefly, a shooting star flashes across the screen. That, according to the theory, was the spaceship that took Star-Lord away during the first scene of Guardians. Yes, really.

Now, before you start getting your pitchforks and heading to the comments, here’s why it’s not as far-fetched as you might think. Carol crashed (and was whisked away to Hala) at some point in 1989. That memory, obviously, comes before then. When was Peter Quill taken from Earth by Yondu and his? 1988, according to that movie’s opening title card. The stars have aligned, as it were.

To back things up further, NeptuneCA on Reddit also points to the fact that two actresses are listed in the credits. For 1995, there’s an 11-year-old Monica Rambeau. Before that, there’s a four-year-old Monica. Now, my maths is a little rusty, but seven years before 1995 is most definitely 1988, which is when the shooting star scene would have been set. Bingo.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can always tell a comic nerd :)

Controversy i know but i prefer the movie name :)
It's not as if they don't have the rights to the name :D
-
$457m worldwide opening week/end is nothing to be sniffed at and is 2nd highest grossing film this year well till Endgame pummels it :D

Caporegime
It's not as if they don't have the rights to the name :D
-
$457m worldwide opening week/end is nothing to be sniffed at and is 2nd highest grossing film this year well till Endgame pummels it :D

Directors said Chewie was a bit on the nose now that Disney own Star Wars, and they wanted there to be a nod to Top-gun because Danvers is a pilot.

Soldato
Not too sure that many folks actually said it would do badly at the box office (some on the fringe maybe) but imagine for a second just how much more it would have made if there wasn't any drama before it's release which stopped those previous fans from seeing it!

Caporegime
Not too sure that many folks actually said it would do badly at the box office (some on the fringe maybe) but imagine for a second just how much more it would have made if there wasn't any drama before it's release which stopped those previous fans from seeing it!

It was more the impression of all these people online shouting from the rooftops about not going as some kind of protest in an effort to get others to join them in the cause. It was like some kind of anti-movement to get back at what? a comment and a non-smiling trailer and red carpet event?

It turns out that it was a lot of noise from a teeny, tiny few.

That's how it comes across.

Soldato

Or maybe the publicity has drawn in more people and exceeded marvels expectations

Soldato
It was more the impression of all these people online shouting from the rooftops about not going as some kind of protest in an effort to get others to join them in the cause. It was like some kind of anti-movement to get back at what? a comment and a non-smiling trailer and red carpet event?

I'd agree. I honestly don't think the vast majority of "angry" people ever thought that a boycott would do much if anything. It seemed to me more like a way for them to show displeasure (vote with your wallet) rather than believing it to be a genuine attempt to make the film fail.

Or maybe the publicity has drawn in more people and exceeded marvels expectations

It's a Marvel film, everyone's going to see it regardless :D

Soldato
Watched it last night, thought it was awesome. Not to the levels of the very best Marvel films like the first Avengers or Infinity war but a solid 8 from me. Can’t wait the see her in End Game.

Not sure what all the “OMG feminism” rage was all about by the perpetually outraged alt right types. Didn’t even register whilst watching the film nor were her statements note worthy.

Soldato
I enjoyed the film, thought it was great.

I dont understand where captain marvel will fit in, in end game. We already know thor, with stormbreaker, is powerful enough to kill a fully powered thanos on his own. When i think about how they are going to undo the "click", the only way i can think of is time travel. Is this where marvel comes in, can she time travel?

Soldato
I enjoyed the film, thought it was great.

I dont understand where captain marvel will fit in, in end game. We already know thor, with stormbreaker, is powerful enough to kill a fully powered thanos on his own. When i think about how they are going to undo the "click", the only way i can think of is time travel. Is this where marvel comes in, can she time travel?

Time travel seems the logical conclusion. Maybe the Skrull have something they've developed in the ~30 years since? Also don't forget Ant Man is still in the Quantum Realm seemingly immune to the snap!

Soldato

There are 2 aspects of the protest.

One against the star of the film because of silly comments she has made about white males in the press. Which she has slightly backtracked on.

The other is the media not being fair with it's reviews of 2 films with some similar aspects to them. One getting, in my opinion, bumped down a bit and one being bumped up a bit.
This inconsistent treatment by the media can have a massive effect on general audiences, far more than internet bloggers.
If people are being mislead because reviewers aren't being honest that is a problem. If large corporations are abusing their positions to get more favourable reviews it's not doing the general public any good.
A MCU film isn't going to be badly effected by honest reviews unless the film is really poor. (Poor reviews haven't affected a lot of DC films box office)
But a new IP to the mainstream market will be impacted by poor reviews. But when the general public actually see it, they enjoy it much more. We could miss out on an entertaining franchise because of this inconstant treatment.

Rotten Tomatoes:
Captain Marvel 79% (Critics)
Captain Marvel 63% (Audience)
Alita: Battle Angel 60% (Critics)
Alita: Battle Angel 94% (Audience)

Such a big gap on the Alita reviews and other films should be concerning as it tells us the media isn't doing it's job properly.

The fair level is probably somewhere between the critics and audience score. But the general public will generally only see critics reviews.

There are also lots of bad reporting about the small negative fan comments. Saying you aren't interested in seeing a film is not a review in anyway. But the media are reporting it as reviews.

Internet protests are normally small scale, 50-200K of people aren't going to have any significant impact on a major Hollywood film, particularly when it's part of one of the biggest film franchises of all time, which is also slipstreaming off what is likely to be the biggest release of said franchise to date, 7 weeks after it's release.

The media issue is far more of a concern to me. What an actor spouts off about is generally irrelevant to the films they are in.

I will probably go to see CM to judge for myself, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it. For me it was the trailer that damped my enthusiasm for the film, not the controversy. :)

I expect CM to get at least 800m worldwide. The big opening numbers look a little more impressive as they opened in all the major markets except Japan on the same day. Something that they haven't done with any other MCU film. Or pretty much any other film, having China and the USA release on the same day.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are 2 aspects of the protest.

One against the star of the film because of silly comments she has made about white males in the press. Which she has slightly backtracked on.

The other is the media not being fair with it's reviews of 2 films with some similar aspects to them. One getting, in my opinion, bumped down a bit and one being bumped up a bit.
This inconsistent treatment by the media can have a massive effect on general audiences, far more than internet bloggers.
If people are being mislead because reviewers aren't being honest that is a problem. If large corporations are abusing their positions to get more favourable reviews it's not doing the general public any good.
A MCU film isn't going to be badly effected by honest reviews unless the film is really poor. (Poor reviews haven't affected a lot of DC films box office)
But a new IP to the mainstream market will be impacted by poor reviews. But when the general public actually see it, they enjoy it much more. We could miss out on an entertaining franchise because of this inconstant treatment.

Rotten Tomatoes:
Captain Marvel 79% (Critics)
Captain Marvel 63% (Audience)
Alita: Battle Angel 60% (Critics)
Alita: Battle Angel 94% (Audience)

Such a big gap on the Alita reviews and other films should be concerning as it tells us the media isn't doing it's job properly.

The fair level is probably somewhere between the critics and audience score. But the general public will generally only see critics reviews.

There are also lots of bad reporting about the small negative fan comments. Saying you aren't interested in seeing a film is not a review in anyway. But the media are reporting it as reviews.

Internet protests are normally small scale, 50-200K of people aren't going to have any significant impact on a major Hollywood film, particularly when it's part of one of the biggest film franchises of all time, which is also slipstreaming off what is likely to be the biggest release of said franchise to date, 7 weeks after it's release.

The media issue is far more of a concern to me. What an actor spouts off about is generally irrelevant to the films they are in.

I will probably go to see CM to judge for myself, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it. For me it was the trailer that damped my enthusiasm for the film, not the controversy. :)

I expect CM to get at least 800m worldwide. The big opening numbers look a little more impressive as they opened in all the major markets except Japan on the same day. Something that they haven't done with any other MCU film. Or pretty much any other film, having China and the USA release on the same day.

I doubt the numbers are even that high TBH. Possibly even 500-2,000 people being very loud on the internet and that's most likely being generous.

Soldato
I doubt the numbers are even that high TBH. Possibly even 500-2,000 people being very loud on the internet and that's most likely being generous.
If you count likes as agreement you'd probably hit 50K+. 500-2000 would certainly be the most vocal ones.
But most of them aren't haters of CM, but annoyed about the biased treatment when compared to Alita. There was a massive amount of unjustified negative treatment before and after Alita opened.

Back
Top Bottom