Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
But not Mike?

The point being that even on that show, they disagreed to the point that Mike recommended it and Jay didn't.
Oh come on. He didnt exactly give it a ringing endorsement. It was basically go see it because of Endgame and made the direct point that if it didnt have the Marvel logo on it, it would be considered as bad as Jupiter Ascending!

Caporegime
Oh come on. He didnt exactly give it a ringing endorsement. It was basically go see it because of Endgame and made the direct point that if it didnt have the Marvel logo on it, it would be considered as bad as Jupiter Ascending!

Oh please, that is categorically false, Jupiter Ascending was a complete dumpster-fire, Captain Marvel is above average at the very least.

Caporegime
Albeit I agree with your assessment of both, I think I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending just as much because it falls into the category of so bad it was good category.

Which is fine, enjoyment will always be subjective, but objectively CM is better than JA, even if that means CM is just average/above average as JA is (entertaining) trash :D

Jupiter Ascending

Wow, what a load of crap, haha! Pretty graphics though, but ridiculous story and acting.

4/10

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I really do not get crtitcs and the big release movies these days, their opinions have so little relevance to my viewing habbits its untrue.
Take captain marvell for example it could been the worst film in history according to some douche critic and i would have still gone to watch it. Same as will never go to watch another star wars movie.

Marvel films are generally awesome at least 7/10 for every movie for one reason or another. Plot holes and all, i just love how they arw linked and referenced.

Silly movie critics :)

Soldato
Ok just finished watching this. It’s nicely polished as you’d expect from a Marvel movie but left me cold. No sense of jeopardy for Danvers in the finale. Superman often suffers the same problem but has been better done. This needed a better director and screenplay. 6/10

Caporegime
There's a good spoiler special from the Empire podcast crew.

They had watched it twice, and with the fore knowledge the second time that
Jude Law is actually the bad guy, they picked up on something that I hadn't.

The language/relationship between Brie Larson and Jude Law the first time around comes across as a mentor/student relationship. But the second time it's overtly an abusive relationship between someone controlling and someone being controlled. They said once the reveal comes he doesn't even change his performance

Soldato
Watched this and was pleasantly surprised that the pre release bad press and concerns didn't appear founded.

Fairly solid MCU origins movie with its moments and the de - ageing of Coulson and Fury was actually fairly well done which makes a change from some of the attempts made in recent films to digitally alter actors.

7/10

Soldato
So much for their "Get woke, go broke" rubbish.

Having seen the film the 'woke' content of the film was relatively absent given the release hype.

Danvers was as credible as any of the other. Marvel characters in terms of her powers, competence at various stages and character arc..

They seemed to avoid the pitfall we saw with Rey in Star Wars (where Rey was inexplicably competent even within the fantasy setting of the film).

In short the pre release 'woke' comments of Larson weren't in my opinion reflected in the film itself.

Man of Honour
Yep all the 'woke' stuff wasn't present at all and I actually really liked Brie in the role (that smirk!).

Solid marvel movie and as mentioned earlier, the Marvel intro was a nice touch. The cat and fury stole the show as expected.

Soldato
Unlike most of these movies there just didn’t seem to be any loss or struggle for Danvers. The first scene where she might be in trouble she extricates herself by being awesome and strong. No need for guile, luck or help. The finale starts and once again she’s in trouble but by being awesome and strong she wins out and goes to Uber powered mode and all remaining sense of risk is gone.
I think the plot and character would have been better served if she’d needed help or had to sacrifice something to escape the start of the finale. I also think if the embracing her humanity for her final upgrade to uberness had taken place in the latter stages whilst she was failing it would have paced more nicely. I think they missed a trick by overpowering her too early and at no cost to the character.
The villain was a bit obvious and reinforced that sense the character was awesome and strong all by herself with no outside help required. The back up cast were good especially Mendelsohn and SLJ but they were there to do their bits of the task and were in jeopardy but that was divorced from Danvers who never seemed in jeopardy.

I think back to Superman The Movie where Lex tricks him with a Kryptonite necklace and he’s saved by the least powerful member of the cast solely because he’d been nice to her. He wins but loses Lois and has to redo by turning back time. They managed Superman’s over powered ness much better than this film. I hope the Russo brothers use the character better than this, because Thor was already verging on overpowered by the end of Infinity War.

Soldato
Unlike most of these movies there just didn’t seem to be any loss or struggle for Danvers. The first scene where she might be in trouble she extricates herself by being awesome and strong. No need for guile, luck or help. The finale starts and once again she’s in trouble but by being awesome and strong she wins out and goes to Uber powered mode and all remaining sense of risk is gone.
I think the plot and character would have been better served if she’d needed help or had to sacrifice something to escape the start of the finale. I also think if the embracing her humanity for her final upgrade to uberness had taken place in the latter stages whilst she was failing it would have paced more nicely. I think they missed a trick by overpowering her too early and at no cost to the character.

this was why i didn't like it - she was invincible and human at the beginning, and she was more invincible at the end. They never showed her struggling and then overcoming that struggle - it made the movie boring.
She's powerful because she happened to be hit by an explosion, it doesn't seem earned at all.
They should have shown her early life, struggling to be a pilot in a mans world but succeeding through determination and ability, and yes, bravery.
As it stands she's probably the worst female character in the mcu and the least sympathetic, despite having her own film.

Associate
Went to see it last night with my wife, who actually got me into superhero films.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, with some of the references to Top Gun being somewhat amusing. This was especially evident in the theme of desire to fly, one upmanship and bonding. The end credits were also a massive nod, sans Kenny Loggins.

However, it was also good to see a superhero, fully actualised, enjoying their superpowers. You could see Captain Marvel actually buzzing with life when unburdened by previous ties and kicking backside. She did retain the humanity she previously had, but was just so much more.

It was fun, very fun.

I am sure Endgame will bring it to a more downbeat level, and we'll have to see where Captain Marvel fits in to her role. However, I am sure it'll all be wonderful.

Great stuff, needs more Coulson though.

Soldato
The villain was a bit obvious and reinforced that sense the character was awesome and strong all by herself with no outside help required. The back up cast were good especially Mendelsohn and SLJ but they were there to do their bits of the task and were in jeopardy but that was divorced from Danvers who never seemed in jeopardy.

I think back to Superman The Movie where Lex tricks him with a Kryptonite necklace and he’s saved by the least powerful member of the cast solely because he’d been nice to her. He wins but loses Lois and has to redo by turning back time. They managed Superman’s over powered ness much better than this film. I hope the Russo brothers use the character better than this, because Thor was already verging on overpowered by the end of Infinity War.

But thats the issue with Superman/CM etc etc. They are geared up to be able to defeat anything and then the writers put themselves in a daft position straight away;

1) even more powerful bad guy
2) stupid reason why they can't/won't fully unleash
3) don't bother writing a story because it's instant win for the good guy.

It's the reason I've never enjoyed Superman comics because they either never have jeopardy or are contrived to introduce jeopardy.

The best handling of OP heroes is the Sentry stories (you could argue it's a contrived control but it's fantastically executed) and the New 52 Superman run which was blinking brilliant (but because he wasn't Uber perfect your normal Supes fans didn't really buy it)

It's a difficult situation they automatically write themselves into with these characters and the solution never really satisfies everyone.

Back
Top Bottom