Captain Marvel (2019)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Superman is miserable though, sure he is superman but he is also super-miserable at least in the movies, who like nothing better to make people feel miserable then light them up at the end.

Captain Marvell was different.... She was happy from day 1, got miffed, sorted it out and went back to being happy.

Still lets hope endgame knocks shitavator out of the record books so we can banish that appalling film forever :)

Soldato
Why are people obsessed with struggle and jeopardy?

because thats how good writing and good characterisation works?
The more 'fantastic' a character or story is the more grounded and sympathetic they need to be - otherwise why do i even care? What can i relate to?
Thats story writing 101.

Soldato
But in this case surely we don't need it now? Since Fury paged her at the end of Infinity War he clearly knows he needs something better than what he currently has so he's gone for the nuclear option.

I reckon you'll be able to relate much more come Endgame when she actually has a meaningful choice to make.

Soldato

I know that at the end of a superhero film the hero will win, so any threat isn't real anyway.

If anything that makes this different from a generic origin story.

Its an action movie what’s the point if there is no jeopardy. We knew Steve Rogers was going to survive the crash but he didn’t know that it’s compelling he’s willing to give his life to do good. His girlfriend knows she’ll never see him again.
Honestly what do you want in the plot of an action movie if not struggle?

Caporegime
Its an action movie what’s the point if there is no jeopardy. We knew Steve Rogers was going to survive the crash but he didn’t know that it’s compelling he’s willing to give his life to do good. His girlfriend knows she’ll never see him again.
Honestly what do you want in the plot of an action movie if not struggle?

**** blowing up spectacularly :p

Also, why am I supposed to relate to superheroes? I'm not a superhero, if I want to watch films with relatable characters, I'll watch ones more grounded in reality. That said, I do actually relate to sarcastic bad-asses ;)

Soldato

I know that at the end of a superhero film the hero will win, so any threat isn't real anyway.

If anything that makes this different from a generic origin story.

Well why bother with any film if there isn't a struggle? Sure it would be a jolly fun film watching the avengers sit in the tower and discuss politics because there's nothing at all to worry about.

New film, Avengers: A Quiet Sunday Afternoon. Guaranteed box office smash :p

Soldato
Managed to get into cinema for this yesterday, came out quite satisfied, standard marvel fare with a slight formulaic twist. Brie Larson was good, quite happy to see more of her in the next movie. A few slight niggles but definitely in my top third of marvel movies.

Those opening credits though...right in the feels.

Soldato
But in this case surely we don't need it now? Since Fury paged her at the end of Infinity War he clearly knows he needs something better than what he currently has so he's gone for the nuclear option.

since the fate of 50% of the life in the universe was at stake I would have suggested fury get on the phone a bit sooner that he did

Soldato
since the fate of 50% of the life in the universe was at stake I would have suggested fury get on the phone a bit sooner that he did

Been a while since I watch IW but don't think he would know. The avengers are disbanded, everyone goes off to fight last minute, IIRC aren't they talking about a battle in Wakanda in the car just before everyone starts turning to dust?

However, good job Thanos click didn't wipe out Marvel ;)

Soldato
I thought it was 'ok', and it was just a necessary filler to introduce her before Avengers.

Outside of the Marvel movies I do not know that much about each of the heroes, but from my perception Captain Marvel seems a bit over powered, and could potentially make the rest of the Avengers redundant??

Caporegime
I thought it was 'ok', and it was just a necessary filler to introduce her before Avengers.

Outside of the Marvel movies I do not know that much about each of the heroes, but from my perception Captain Marvel seems a bit over powered, and could potentially make the rest of the Avengers redundant??

On paper I thought Dr Strange would be unstoppable too but he got his ass kicked quite easily.

I really don't know why he doesn't open a portal right where their necks are and then close it and chop them in half.

Soldato
I really don't know why he doesn't open a portal right where their necks are and then close it and chop them in half.
TBF he knew he was going to win, but also knew the if he did it too fast it would make for a poor film, so just stretched it out for entertainment purposes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
TBF he new he was going to win, but also knew the if he did it too fast it would make for a poor film, so just stretched it out for entertainment purposes.

like right when they got Thanos under with mantis on him and everyone tried to pull the glove off. Just open a portal around his wrist with the other end in another galaxy and close! Viola!

Glove removed, and Thanos now missing an arm. win win.

Back
Top Bottom