Carrying something for self defence

Associate
Please run, don't try this stuff in a real situation. People don't come at you in a scripted sequence in real life.

Which is why you practice, then the unscripted won't be as much of an issue. However, the more you practice and the fitter you become, the more confident you are and then the chance of being attacked becomes vanishingly small anyway.

Win win situation.

Man of Honour
Which is why you practice, then the unscripted won't be as much of an issue. However, the more you practice and the fitter you become, the more confident you are and then the chance of being attacked becomes vanishingly small anyway.

Win win situation.

Yet the chance of you thinking you're billy big balls should you get attacked increases massively when you should just be using that new found fitness to run in the opposite direction very quickly. No point in having a street fight if you've got the option of leaving the area.

Associate
Are people actually prosecuted for keeping a bat at home as a potential weapon against an intruder, even if they flat out state that's what it's for? I doubt if there would be much chance of conviction in a jury trial for that.

As I said upthread, I doubt anyone would be prosecuted for that but a crack around the head is very different to smashing his skull in after he's gone down.

Still, it doesn't hurt to paint a picture of a frightened person reaching for the nearest object in panic. That object just happened to be a baseball bat your honour........ :D

Associate
Yet the chance of you thinking you're billy big balls should you get attacked increases massively when you should just be using that new found fitness to run in the opposite direction very quickly. No point in having a street fight if you've got the option of leaving the area.

That's not what I said and it wasn't what I was implying either. I was talking about confidence, not being a dick.

Soldato
Please run, don't try this stuff in a real situation. People don't come at you in a scripted sequence in real life.

Better tell those UFC fighters that Jiu Jitsu is only useful against opponents who are using scripted attacks. I'll let Rener Gracie know to stop teaching it to the Army and Police as well.

Yes you should always run away, but BJJ is effective and has nothing to do with scripted sequences.

Man of Honour
I recently started jujitsu which has really opened my eyes concerning weapons. It's very effective against being attacked with weapons (we train with sticks, knives, machetes and guns) but our sensei always says "run if you can". However, it is amazing how many defences end up with you in possession of the opponents weapon.

Your teacher always says "run if you can" because it's not "very effective" and "amazing" and they know that. It's especially not very effective and amazing for someone who has just started training in it.

It will give you a better chance than no training, but if you over-estimate its effectiveness that might well give you a worse chance than no training.

The best way to use martial arts against someone with a hand to hand weapon (and especially a bladed one) is to use the strength and fitness it gives you to run faster than your enemy can. Maybe make running away easier by injuring them first if you're already in their range or they've got hold of you, but running away is the key point. That's why any decent teacher will say (and repeat) the message that you should run if you can.

It's different against a ranged weapon, obviously, since they could shoot you as you're running away.

Soldato
Better tell those UFC fighters that Jiu Jitsu is only useful against opponents who are using scripted attacks. I'll let Rener Gracie know to stop teaching it to the Army and Police as well.

Yes you should always run away, but BJJ is effective and has nothing to do with scripted sequences.

You're preaching to the wrong person... I train in and have competed in MMA, I know about BRAZILIAN Jujitsu and how good it is, I am assuming he is learning Japanese jujitsu. Which also works, but still when weapons are involved you do not want to mess around, just get out of there.

I've been training in MMA and everything it entails for 8 years and we never train weapon disarms as strangely enough nobody has one in the cage.

Last edited:
Caporegime

theres a world of difference between people who do some classes ans spar and people who regularly fight all out to win.

Man of Honour
At the end of the day these scum bags that go carrying weapons around think they have nothing to lose for the most part and the most dangerous person to fight is someone with nothing to lose, it's a cliche but it's completely true.

Caporegime
Watch a bit of this for the reality of someone wanting to stab you.

bingo its happened before you know it, and you bleed real easy if you end up ina grapple or anything they're just gonna stick it in you all over, in that first one after the argument shows how easy its gonnaend up with your face and arms slashed to the point you'll be blind and unable to use your fingers/hands any more after less than a few seconds

even if you "win" you're probably going to die before you get to the hospital.

Caporegime
If you're referring to Tony Martin, I suggest you google that a bit more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-127513/Farmer-shot-intruder-walks-free.html

thios one maybe

Father-of-two Frederick Hemstock, 55, fired at Gary Smith after he discovered him trespassing on his land in the early hours of the morning.

As he wept tears of relief yesterday, a judge criticised the lack of police response to a 999 call made by Mr Hemstock's wife, Wendy. She had been told that officers would not turn out unless property had actually been stolen.

Minutes later her husband, who had grabbed a shotgun kept under his bed, fired at Smith's car. The shot ripped through the vehicle and hit him in the stomach.

Soldato
Carry a shovel, then afterwards shallow grave - what body?

Seriously though I was pondering taking a pair of garden secateurs with us on a walk, not for self defence but to clip overhanging brambles which are everywhere this time of year. However in theory that could be conceived as a weapon, although the tip is blunt it could be deemed capable of gouging or tearing?

Associate
C'mon GD, six pages and no suggestion of the biggest marital aid you can find online? Ideal for home defence and no excuse needed to keep at the bed side. You just wave it at the intruder screaming 'I'm not afraid to use this' and throw some lube at them. Being naked is optional but can increase shock and awe factor (in some cases).

Back
Top Bottom