Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
This is the bit I don't get: are you saying that people that are selling stuff on MM are somehow, I don't know, running a business or something, and should be punished? You use the word "leeching" which is an extremely derogatory term. This says a lot about the thinking behind this decision. In reality, the people that *buy* the stuff on MM are benefitting just as much as the sellers, so 100% the community is benefitting from this! People in MM aren't selling garden hoses, are they? They're buying and selling nerdy stuff, for nerds! This is good! It's also *great* for the environment (recycling rather than binning). And finally, you're keeping money out of ebay's pockets -- how is that a bad thing!?

I think what I'm so riled up about is that nobody has yet explained why this change is needed. "It automatically enforces a rule that has existed for ages" -- well maybe it's a bad rule!?

And by the way, before I get the derogatory replies, this affects me in the tiniest of ways (I've sold maybe 4-5 things over 10 years, netting maybe £200). I'm upset at the personal level, as I feel like I'm being kicked out of a community that I have been in for a long time and feel personally connected to.

In my opinion you are alienating some of your most long-running and loyal members with this rule enforcement, and nothing good will come of it!
I'm saying that they're benefiting from a community perk without participating in the community anymore. If you want the benefits, then be involved, give and take. I use the word leeching very deliberately as it accurately describes the behaviour. If the use of the term is upsetting to people, I guess it's touching a nerve.

@kindai explained one of the main reasons for this particular rule.

What real harm comes to the forum from alienating members that are so long standing and loyal that they barely ever post? Oh no, they'll still barely ever post.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

What real harm comes to the forum from alienating members that are so long standing and loyal that they barely ever post? Oh no, they'll still barely ever post.
Fair enough, at least that's blatantly clear. Weird how I managed to feel connected to this community without <checks notes> posting an average of at least 15 posts per <checks notes> 90 days...

Soldato
What I don't get is that it isn't just computers, there is far more to discuss and there will be something to write about that hits nearly all of us, or interests us. Home & Garden, anything from wardrobes, to plants problems, to solar panels, and home insurance, questions and answers about tools, stoves, axes, and bathroom installation issues, the list is endless we all have a home (I hope). Motors, sports, gaming, food (we all eat?), movies, music, TV shows, audio visual, TV's and Hi-Fi, Bluetooth speakers, endless..

It's not just a Q&A forum, you can have an opinion but if nothing in any of the forum interests you then perhaps don't worry about being here? Probably the same people who complain about the government but don't vote.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair enough, at least that's blatantly clear. Weird how I managed to feel connected to this community without <checks notes> posting an average of at least 15 posts per <checks notes> 90 days...
No one is stopping you from feeling connected to the community by reading posts and contributing once in a while, you just don't get all the same perks as more active community members. Unless the "connection" you talk of is more about having nice marketplace to use.

Soldato
This totally understanable and realistic change doesn't go far enough. People are making it sound like the end of the world (and to be fair, I was sceptical of it to begin with but get it now)

Anyway, I demand a 50p month charge is added (paid yearly) to access the MM, to which half the money goes to charity, and the other half is used to purchase OCUK for the yearly Christmas raffle.

Associate
You’ve had over three months notice about this. We deliberately gave members that amount of notice so that everyone is aware.

It’s not our fault you didn’t read that huge notice that’s been at the top of every MM forum since 21st August last year.
No need for that attitude, tbh

This whole thing has done nothing but turn me away from both OcUK and the community. Which, no, I haven’t been that active in recently - but I’ve been active in bursts for a lot of years.

Frankly I’ll just go shop elsewhere if I’m going to be met with this derision from you and others for stating an opinion. I’ve been both a customer (dozens of orders totalling probably £10k+) and a Forum member (2250 posts) for 10-15 years, strangely enough no I don’t sit here posting constantly after that length of time

Last edited:
Caporegime
The entire point of it is that people aren’t as active as they’d like…. So assuming they’re active enough to see the thread seems pretty flawed
It's been permanently visible in the members market for months, if you're so inactive that you've not even been in there and seen it, what is there to even complain about?

Commissario
OP
No need for that attitude, tbh
So who's fault is it that you didn't read the thread?

The thread that's a sticky at the top of the For Sale forum and your attention is drawn to it by this notice which has been there for over three months.

oXR3qwt.png

Soldato
If members value the MM, and it seems they do by this thread, I don’t think it’s asking too much to make 15 posts every 90 days (if I have understood correctly). Now I’m aware of the change I’ll aim to contribute more to keep it, so if that’s the aim I guess the change has worked.

It would be interesting to see how much of a change there has been in MM activity over the next few weeks.

Associate
So who's fault is it that you didn't read the thread?

The thread that's a sticky at the top of the For Sale forum and your attention is drawn to it by this notice which has been there for over three months.

oXR3qwt.png
And the entire point of this conversation is that we’re talking about people who haven’t been active? Yet your response is “well you should have been active”

Where was the email to members? The PM? The notification in the inbox? The automated message when they next post in the forum?

None of that is difficult to do nor unreasonable to ask for

Don
Frankly I’ll just go shop elsewhere if I’m going to be met with this derision from you and others for stating an opinion. I’ve been both a customer (dozens of orders totalling probably £10k+) and a Forum member (2250 posts) for 10-15 years, strangely enough no I don’t sit here posting constantly after that length of time
Wondered how long it would be before someone played the "do you know how much I spend here" card.
Does that mean you are more entitled than me as I've only spent <£4k?

Soldato
And the entire point of this conversation is that we’re talking about people who haven’t been active? Yet your response is “well you should have been active”

Where was the email to members? The PM? The notification in the inbox? The automated message when they next post in the forum?

None of that is difficult to do nor unreasonable to ask for

While I get your point, if you haven't looked in the MM for well over 3 months and the requirement to re-gain access when you do finally need it is only 15 posts in a hugely varied forum it shouldn't be that big of a deal all said and done.

Soldato
I mean, it seems a bit unnecessary... but if you insist.

Was I really the demographic this was meant to impact? Hmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom