Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pet Northerner
Don
While I get your point, if you haven't looked in the MM for well over 3 months and the requirement to re-gain access when you do finally need it is only 15 posts in a hugely varied forum it shouldn't be that big of a deal all said and done.
He’s only posted in the mm since the notice went up.

Soldato
And the entire point of this conversation is that we’re talking about people who haven’t been active? Yet your response is “well you should have been active”

Where was the email to members? The PM? The notification in the inbox? The automated message when they next post in the forum?

None of that is difficult to do nor unreasonable to ask for
Maybe Feek could have personally come to your house and told you in person? :cry:

Just admit that you sound a bit silly telling people they're ridiculous for not warning anyone, when it's actually only your own lack of observation (or even use of the forum?) that caused the 'lack of warning'.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
And the entire point of this conversation is that we’re talking about people who haven’t been active? Yet your response is “well you should have been active”
You have been active. You've made posts in MM since that notice was posted.

Where was the email to members? The PM? The notification in the inbox? The automated message when they next post in the forum?
Every single person who's been into MM has had that notice at the top of every page there since the 21st August.

We can see who's viewed threads, we're getting complaints in here by people who we can see have read that thread.

We deliberately gave over three months notice for this change. It's not our fault if people didn't even read the notice, or if they read it and ignored it.

Associate
I feel like some people don't understand that there are a lot of people who may only look at a small number of the sub-forums and ignore a lot the others due to them not being of interest or simply not tech related in the areas of which some users are interested.
Lets say you're interested in specifically the high-end CPUs, GPUs and by extension motherboards. You will look at and discuss when new information or product releases happen also when providing help, but for this example product releases are very far apart 2 years for GPU's and 1-2 years for CPU's (specifically talking about if you are interested in the high-end as many here are).
It is possible to not be posting in those sub-forums for prolonged periods of times due to these cycles and the fact that in-between that is just a lot of fanboy nonsense.
It used to be that discussions about CPU's and GPU's would continue in-between for releases even at the high-end because people were always asking how to or finding new ways to overclock, one of the reasons people came to OcUK way back when, but these days stuff boosts to practically max from factory. Best way to overclock something now is to invest in a good/better custom water cooling setup.

TL:DR; There may be many sub-forums here, but many only are interested in a small sub-set of those, and will post/participate in probably only a few of those due to product releases etc.
Anyhow, just wanted to give a different perspective of how someone may use a tech forum such as OcUK only for a sub-set of tech. e.g. I don't come here for cars, I go to specific car forums for that. (e.g. vwvortex or eidition38 back in the day), hope that makes sense.

Caporegime
I like the new rule. I’d become detached from the forums due to family life and suchlike. If I hadn’t have nipped in a month or so ago to have a scout on the MM, I’d not have seen the notice and likely slipped back into browsing without being logged in.

Instead I realised that I needed to get back to being active, even if less than I was before, if we want the forums to exist for the MM, it must also be successful in other areas, otherwise why would anyone continue to run it?

The mods do a great job in the MM (and the forums in general), but automation of repetitive tasks is a boon, regardless of where it’s applied. Fair play to them for employing technology to do the grunt work for them.

Soldato
Great thanks.

Curious to the stats, how many accounts have lost access?

Also curious to the demographic of the 20+year accounts, I was a young teenager with lots of time on my hands back in 2004, now with kids and a busy job means my spare time is... limited.

Currently waiting for some paint to dry, which is why I popped on only to see this thread :D

Do you genuinely not see the irony here. Claiming that your spare time is "limited" yet you've almost managed a third of your required posts from one day in this single thread alone.

Soldato
No need for that attitude, tbh

This whole thing has done nothing but turn me away from both OcUK and the community. Which, no, I haven’t been that active in recently - but I’ve been active in bursts for a lot of years.

Frankly I’ll just go shop elsewhere if I’m going to be met with this derision from you and others for stating an opinion. I’ve been both a customer (dozens of orders totalling probably £10k+) and a Forum member (2250 posts) for 10-15 years, strangely enough no I don’t sit here posting constantly after that length of time

Doesn't really sound like the community is going to miss you - someone who clearly doesn't contribute much. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being active in "bursts" but the sense of entitlement to be expecting MM access at all times absolutely stinks.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Lets say you're interested in specifically the high-end CPUs, GPUs and by extension motherboards. You will look at and discuss when new information or product releases happen also when providing help, but for this example product releases are very far apart 2 years for GPU's and 1-2 years for CPU's (specifically talking about if you are interested in the high-end as many here are).

This is actually a valid scenario worth considering. Thanks for an actual constructive post!

Caporegime
Tbh I think Ocuk are missing a trick here. All these nobodies who want to participate in the MM whilst contributing absolutely naff all towards the community clearly feel they deserve access to this free service for whatever dumbass reason they come up with, so why not charge a sub? £15 a month ought to do it.

Associate
I think adding the 15 posts in 90 days should have been added before uping the count from 250 or 500 or whatever it was to 1000.

other than that, you did ok imo

will try and post more soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think its a good idea, if it makes people contribute to the forums more. I've lost my access for now, but I haven't bought or sold anything on members market for a few years.

Soldato
The most likely scenario of something going wrong is an old inactive account that gets accessed from a password re-use leak or similar. So ensuring recent activity will generally reduce that risk to next to zero as you would hope active members would be running newer passwords or 2fa.
Can't you just remove access for old inactive accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom