Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This.

If we didn't want to deal with MM we'd announce it and a date, give people time to finish up their deals, stop new threads from being posted and on a set date lock it completely.
Just to play devil’s advocate, if there are no plans to close it wouldn’t you want it to thrive with long standing members? I think the setup is generally very well done leading to a secure place to buy and sell. I like the fact that there are restrictions on new members so it would require a lot of time and effort for someone with a motive to scam someone to gain access for that purpose. I appreciate there must be a low % of deals that go wrong which requires your input.

Commissario
OP
It's happened already, lol rule change is so stupid and unnecessary
I’ll repeat myself again.

This is automating a rule that’s been in existence for years. It’s not a new rule, it’s simply enforcing something automatically which we used to do manually. When we spotted people who were only posting in MM, we approached them and asked them to do something about it. Most of the time they did and if they didn’t, we manually removed access and monitored it until they contributed elsewhere.

I’m seeing posts from people complaining about this and then when I check their post history, I can see that they very rarely post anywhere outside of the MM.

That’s directly against the rule that I quoted in the first post of this thread. That’s why this automation has been introduced.

There’s nothing more to it than that. Nothing.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just to play devil’s advocate, if there are no plans to close it wouldn’t you want it to thrive with long standing members? I think the setup is generally very well done leading to a secure place to buy and sell. I like the fact that there are restrictions on new members so it would require a lot of time and effort for someone with a motive to scam someone to gain access for that purpose. I appreciate there must be a low % of deals that go wrong which requires your input.

The most likely scenario of something going wrong is an old inactive account that gets accessed from a password re-use leak or similar. So ensuring recent activity will generally reduce that risk to next to zero as you would hope active members would be running newer passwords or 2fa.

Associate
I’ll repeat myself again.

But this isn't the same, you use to contact people directly and have a conversation with them about not posting enough, now you automate the process and don't speak to the person.

Very different, now people lose access and don't understand why without any communication, they may then read the rules but wait, they then don't know how many posts they need to gain access back!

I would say this is a lot different then having someone to speak to about being inactive.

The whole thing stinks I'm afraid Feek, I have been here many many years and this change has to be the worse one yet

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very different, now people lose access and don't understand why without any communication, they may then read the rules but wait, they then don't know how many posts they need to gain access back!

If they've read the rules, they'll know why. If they can count to 15 and use a calendar, they'll know how many posts they need to reactivate their access. Total non issue.

Anyone who can't figure those incredibly simple things out, probably has no business buying and selling stuff with other people anyway.

Soldato
I’m seeing posts from people complaining about this and then when I check their post history, I can see that they very rarely post anywhere outside of the MM.

That’s directly against the rule that I quoted in the first post of this thread. That’s why this automation has been introduced.

There’s nothing more to it than that. Nothing.

I can fully understand the post count before gaining access so it keeps the market safer from casuals and lazy scammers but what does a frequent post count actually provide other than an increase in meaningless and short posts across the forums? Quantity over quality? :cry:

Associate
If they've read the rules, they'll know why. If they can count to 15 and use a calendar, they'll know how many posts they need to reactivate their access. Total non issue.

Anyone who can't figure those incredibly simple things out, probably has no business buying and selling stuff with other people anyway.

The only reason anyone needs to "count to 15 and look at a calendar" is because the incredibly stupid rule change.

No one should need to do anything like that once they have opened a for sale thread or wants to sell something to a member of the forum in the first place, either you have access as you hit the rules or you dont, don't take that away from people just because certain people with an ego trip think they have not contributed enough over the years

But of course.no point in arguing the point, you are adamant that this is a great change, no worries, time will tell

The amount of people that can use the for sale forum has already be slashed over the years

Last edited:
Soldato
But this isn't the same, you use to contact people directly and have a conversation with them about not posting enough, now you automate the process and don't speak to the person.

I would say this is a lot different then having someone to speak to about being inactive.

The whole thing stinks I'm afraid Feek, I have been here many many years and this change has to be the worse one yet
Tbh all you need to do is post more moronic posts in the does something need to be done about dogs thread, sorted.

Soldato
I am a lurker and long time member as you can see from my post count. I used to use the mm a lot but rarely anymore although I do always have a nosey through.

I get why the rules have changed however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom