Channel 4 vs Sky for 2019

Soldato
Following a recent upgrade I will be spending just shy of £1200 a year but for that I get 12 months sky with all the packages, phone & line rental, fibre unlimited broadband and skyQ multi room with the 4k 2tb main box.

I recently upgraded as I realised I was paying only £12 less per month than I am now but had nowhere near the same level of package. It was literally an old sky HD box, the entertainment channels and box sets. So basically for £12 a month more than I was paying I am now getting in addition to the basic entertainment and box sets bundle:

All 7 sky sports channels in HD
Sky Cinema
2tb SkyQ box (it supports 4k output)
Mullti room with a SkyQ mini box

However, I do agree £18 per month just for F1 is excessive. I guess I am fortunate that I also make use of a lot of the other channels I get. For those who dont want or need those, it must be annoying. I can see why people may explore less legitimate routes to watch F1.

Last edited:
Associate
I still had the pre-shows on my Sky box so this is what they had for Spa

Pit Lane Live show (60 mins)
Chit-chat with Brundle and Hill
Pole lap rerun and qually summary
FOM feed of Hamilton parade lap interview
More chit-chat
FOM feed of Perez parade lap interview
Ant Davidson and Ted Kravitz pit strategy chat
advert
FOM feed of Verstappen parade lap interview
More chit-chat
Grid interview with Alonso
Ocon going through his qually lap on the skypad with Davidson
advert
Grid chat with Vandoorne
Item on the Force India buy out. Interview with Otmar Szafnauer
Sit down interview with Gasly
Pitlane chat with Christian Horner
Feature with Hill describing the 1998 Spa race where he won after the huge crash in the wet.
Sit down interview with Alonso
advert

On the Grid show (30 mins)
Season review montage
Quick run down of the grid and weather and speculation
Ted watching the cars go out of the garages just giving last minute news updates
David Croft giving opinion and stats on the race to come
Natalie Pinkham chatting to Johnny Herbert about what's to come
Feature with Brundle and both Ferrari drivers doing some sponsors event where they were driving an Alfa with dual controls. (previewing a sit down interview with both at the next race)
Chat with Hill
advert
Brundle's grid walk - chatted to Toto, had a close look at the ferrari, chatted to Leclerc, Jean Todt, Sirotkin and Bottas
National Anthem
Chat with Grosjean
Ant Davidson talking about the track and the first few cars on the grid interspersed with brief chats with Ocon, Gasly, Horner, Alain Prost and Vandoorne
advert

Main race show that starts about 10 mins before the parade.
Croft and Brundle talk about the race to come and then light out....

Underboss
Following a recent upgrade I will be spending just shy of £1200 a year but for that I get 12 months sky with all the packages, phone & line rental, fibre unlimited broadband and skyQ multi room with the 4k 2tb main box.

I recently upgraded as I realised I was paying only £12 less per month than I am now but had nowhere near the same level of package. It was literally an old sky HD box, the entertainment channels and box sets. So basically for £12 a month more than I was paying I am now getting in addition to the basic entertainment and box sets bundle:

All 7 sky sports channels in HD
Sky Cinema
2tb SkyQ box (it supports 4k output)
Mullti room with a SkyQ mini box

However, I do agree £18 per month just for F1 is excessive. I guess I am fortunate that I also make use of a lot of the other channels I get. For those who dont want or need those, it must be annoying. I can see why people may explore less legitimate routes to watch F1.

You need to get out more, £1200 to watch TV? no thanks lol :p :)

i love watching F1, if we can still watch the highlights on Freeview, thats good at least

Associate
Will the highlights still be on C4?

It's not so much paying for program that annoys me, but that they don't provide a premium product and it still has adverts presumably.

Soldato
First I've heard of C4 no longer having F1. Such a shame! And they wonder why viewing figures are falling!

I spoke to SKY last week. Told them I wanted F1 in UHD. I was told I needed to pay for the full sports package, take out HD pack, add on multiroom, and pay extra for the 2TB box to watch UHD.

They say they loan the equipment to you, but want money for it! How does that work!?

I don't want any other sport channel, no boxsets, no films, I don't even want the TV really. SUCKS!

Wasn't there a website launched this year to stream F1? If that can be viewed on TV, it could be an option.

Soldato
I thought the channel 4 coverage completely stops at the end of this year (i.e. no highlights). It's Sky only from next year.

I caught Steve Jones saying it will be the last time they will be there at one of the races before the summer (Monaco?).

Caporegime
First I've heard of C4 no longer having F1. Such a shame! And they wonder why viewing figures are falling!

I spoke to SKY last week. Told them I wanted F1 in UHD. I was told I needed to pay for the full sports package, take out HD pack, add on multiroom, and pay extra for the 2TB box to watch UHD.

They say they loan the equipment to you, but want money for it! How does that work!?

I don't want any other sport channel, no boxsets, no films, I don't even want the TV really. SUCKS!

Wasn't there a website launched this year to stream F1? If that can be viewed on TV, it could be an option.

I know. Same. Don't watch any other TV.
I also prefer the c4 coverage to sky

Caporegime

Don't need the full sports pack, just the F1 channel. Don't even need to take HD pack if you only want the F1 in UHD and nothing else. Entertainment £10 with my introduce a friend deal, 2tb box, yes you need Multiscreen so £12 then F1 standalone sports £18. £40 a month.

Caporegime
So £40/month then? no thanks.

I'm glad I don't have Sky, I'd hate to pay extra for HD - Virgin may not be perfect, but at least I get BT Sports included (MotoGP coverage is excellent), HD as Standard (I don't need UHD) and better broadband speeds. I fully expect once Sky's F1 deal runs out which I guess is still years away, VM & F1 being owned by the same company may sway things away from Trump loving Murdock's Sky.
not everyone wants or can watch in HD though? We still have over a million people on Sky+ or digiboxes somewhere in the house

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom