Channel 4 vs Sky for 2019

Caporegime
So £40/month then? no thanks.

I'm glad I don't have Sky, I'd hate to pay extra for HD - Virgin may not be perfect, but at least I get BT Sports included (MotoGP coverage is excellent), HD as Standard (I don't need UHD) and better broadband speeds. I fully expect once Sky's F1 deal runs out which I guess is still years away, VM & F1 being owned by the same company may sway things away from Trump loving Murdock's Sky.

40 a month is unjustifiable if you literally just want to watch f1.
500/20 is near enough 25 quid a gp weekend!

I wonder what it will do to UK audience?
I wonder how many more people will get sky?

I dont think many people will go from no sky to. Sky just for f1 myself.

Such a shame

Associate
I've got a satellite dish tuned into RTL for the non C4 races. I sync it up to the radio for commentary. Hopefully the radio rights will remain free to air for 2019 onwards so I can keep it running.

Soldato
Sky for me. I don't often watch the pre/post race nonsense, but when I do I prefer the Sky presenters. I also prefer Crofty and Brundle and I enjoy the classic F1 races they have on during the off-season and non-race weekends. However the big clincher for me is watching in 4K. Not even the F1 streaming service has that.

Do I wish it was cheaper? Of course, but I don't only subscribe for F1.

*Edit*
And the whole F2 season as well, which is often better racing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get sky TV with sports for £30 a month which isn't too bad. HD would cost an extra £6 just for sports which I don't think it's worth it. I watch football and rugby though so I think the £16 I pay for sports is probably worth it. If I just watched F1 though it definitely wouldn't be. You can purchase single sports channels but they are so expansive on their own you may as well pay the extra £4 to get them all.

Soldato
To the person earlier that asked about the streaming service.. f1 tv is a catch up service for just over £2 a month. F1 tv pro gives live coverage but would only be available if you went through a vpn as only some countries have access due to licensing.

Caporegime
To the person earlier that asked about the streaming service.. f1 tv is a catch up service for just over £2 a month. F1 tv pro gives live coverage but would only be available if you went through a vpn as only some countries have access due to licensing.

We can get f1 TV in UK? (I dont care if its live)

Caporegime
The UK is not on the list so sadly not, Sky have the rights so nothing is allowed. However as Lakeland says a VPN could do the job...

Wouldnt want to pay then be locked out.
I know my vpn gets blocked by some services (I guess they know the IP is used by a vpn)

Is what I thought then. Complete lock out until 2024

Permabanned
I've got a satellite dish tuned into RTL for the non C4 races. I sync it up to the radio for commentary. Hopefully the radio rights will remain free to air for 2019 onwards so I can keep it running.

That is good.
I have been used to watch it mostly on DSF Plus, Premiere Sport 1/2 and RTL, and to be honest, the German commentators are the best, class above the Sky ones.

Soldato
We can get f1 TV in UK? (I dont care if its live)
  • Full replays and highlights from every F1 session
  • Watch races from F1's historic archive
  • Watch documentaries from F1’s archive
  • Access to exclusive live timing data
  • Access to selected team radio†
  • Tyre usage history
  • Driver tracker map†
  • Only available in certain regions
  • †Available within Formula1.com and/or the F1 App
£2.29 per month (cancel anytime I believe)

F1 Pro is different and gives you live coverage for about $10 a month.

I guess if you used a vpn they would know where the payment was coming from and they’d block you that way unless they use PayPal and they don’t give that info away.

Underboss
What is the cheapest way to see F1 next year then in my situation ?
(Highlights or live doesn't matter)

We have Sky+ downstairs i think, with sports
could i add on just F1 onto that ? at what price would it be ?
also id buy a box for my bedroom so i can watch F1 and other channels

or F1.TV?

Soldato

or F1.TV?
Tell sky you’re going to leave and then ask for f1 as an add on!

Caporegime

or F1.TV?

If you have full sports package then you should have the F1 already? Try it, channel 406. If you want to go for Multiscreen the only option is Sky Q, but I have a cheap Sky Q upgrade deal available. £12pm for Multiscreen though.

Caporegime
I get sky TV with sports for £30 a month which isn't too bad. HD would cost an extra £6 just for sports which I don't think it's worth it. I watch football and rugby though so I think the £16 I pay for sports is probably worth it. If I just watched F1 though it definitely wouldn't be. You can purchase single sports channels but they are so expansive on their own you may as well pay the extra £4 to get them all.

if you're happy to sign up for another 18 months you should be able to get HD for £2.

Soldato
Fingers crossed Sky will offer some deals next year, or split the F1 channel from the sports package for a bit of discount.

Looks to be Sky TV package, Or Now TV. F1 TV won't even offer the live race in the UK.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Sky numbers. No way will they rise by 2.5m

F1 TV audiences in UK
SKY F1 AVERAGE LIVE RACE AUDIENCE

2012: 622,550

2013: 558,3

2014: 852,12

2015: 724,86

2016: 816,07

2017: 766,040

CHANNEL 4 AVERAGE LIVE RACE AUDIENCE

2016: 2,244,350

2017: 2,542,610

Source: Overnights.tv

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-crash-soar-2019-exclusive-deal-a8513276.html

Back
Top Bottom