Chasing Horizons

Associate
Hey guys and girls :) It's been... forever since I've posted here but I can assure you I do browse from time to time :) So big HELLO! And long time no speak/see :D

Exciting times ahead here... my hubby-to-be and I are planning a bit of a RTW trip! The plan is... travel Canada to the tip of Alaska (Prudoe Bay) alllll the way down through South America to Ushuaia then flying over to South Africa and travelling up, through the Middle East, Europe and home to the UK... unless of course we turn right and head towards Asia!

Wheeee!

The only stumbling block we kind of have at the moment is that I've never ridden a motorbike before (haha!) so am kind of having to get on board quickly and get me some off roading jaunts sorted! Sam has done muchos on a bike though (travelled around the world pretty much) so I have an experienced one to help guide! I also have the support and backing from Get On (national UK biking campaign who will be using us as one of their lead campaigns for 2012/2013! Exciting!) Training wise we're commencing in February and will be doing CBT, Module 1, 2, advanced and a couple of off roading schools. We're also heading on a trip down to Morocco in April time for some duning experience! Note... I say "we" and despite Sam being an excellent rider whose ridden round half the world... he acquired his license whilst living in Dubai which doesn't count over here! He's gutted he's having to reapply and currently has a KTM 990 Adventure S sitting in my folks garage awaiting a long due ride!! Poor fella!

We're going to be doing it all for various charities (awaiting confirmation from a couple but we would like: Welsh Air Ambulance as our home charity, World Land Trust, Riders for Health)

The great news is, as said, we have Get On behind us as well as Capitalize (who organise the Bike shows and did the PR for Big Earth - Long Way Round / Long Way Down!)! We also have Big Earth dropping us advice and in support of our trip (recently had a chat with Russ Malkin and he is probably one of the nicest guys you can ever talk with! If you're planning anything like this he is the man to speak to and I would recommend him highly to anyone! So helpful) They're all excited about a "young woman" learning to ride and train in 6months to then go do a RTW trip! Good times! It means we will have some great coverage for our charities (things in magazines and potential TV bits). So chuffed about that :)

So... yeh! Wheeeeeeeee! Hahaha! Can't wait! The bikes we're hoping for are KTM Enduros 690 R (2012 version). We are speaking with them at the moment about potential sponsorship and will get the final nod in February. We're just finalising our webby which will be up in the next week so will post a link when it's done :)

Would be nice to hear of other peoples experience and trips as well as any good off roading trails in the UK! They seem few and far between! Hopefully we can brumm to a meet before heading off - will be looking into this and time between training!!

Barrrrrrrrm brrrrrrrrrrrrm! (Sam keeps telling me off for making these noises whilst sitting on bikes in show rooms ;))

Permabanned
Sounds amazing, however why would anyone pay you to effectively go on a long holiday?!

If I could find someone to pay for (sorry sponsor) a round the world trip for me I wouldnt be sitting at this desk!!

You are thinking of Prudhoe in Summer though, as it would be some journey on a bike with winter weather!

Associate
OP
Thanks guys!!

Griffo - yes we are :) we're going to have video equipment so you can watch snippets and update blogs and photos :) we're actually looking at a new camera kit called gobandit (anyone seen this at the bike shows?! If so what are your thoughts?!) It's not yet released but uploads footage direct to an iPhone where you can edit and then bosh onto various social media sites! Kinda funky! That plus you can run live feeds (although where we're heading many places won't have great WiFi!) When the sites launched I will post links :)

Skynhedd - we're not getting paid to do the trip we're receivingg support :) because Get On are using us as a lead campaign, its to help promote motorcycle safety and also new women riders :) there's talk of it being filmed and aired too which is insane but we'll go with it if it helps Get On and our charities! As we're getting this coverage and so much exposure through various companies, we may get sponsored kit (ie helmets / suits / bikes) In essence I put together a business plan to explain in detail what advertising various companies would receive and have approached a fair few. I am hopefully finalising details with a couple this week on the launch of the site :) naturally we are so grateful of any support or kit we receive!

We're selling everything we have otherwise and working our socks off (self employed!) Our house we're changing to a buy to let to release more equity and give us a small income each month whilst away! We have TEFL training too so if it becomes tight can work teaching too in various locations :) its not going to be easy financially but we'll manage!

As for prudoe bay, Sam was in Alaska late September / early November and it was a bit too snowy. We've researched the best times and early September turns out to be not too bad. Any later and we will have to reroute, but I'm sure its a deadline we plan to keep :)

Hope that answers some questions!! Please ask more though, especially any budding people who want to do this kind of thing but don't know where to start! We'd love to help out :)

Associate
Hey Pheebs

Good luck with the ride, and many thanks for choosing Riders for Health as one of your charities. If you need any more assistance, hit me up...email in trust ;)

Daryl

Associate
OP
Thanks Dhill!

Can I ask what your association is with Riders for Health? We're linked in through Get On with it (Miles Taylor is helping us out with the links of this here!)

Would be great to hear more! If I need to pm let me know :)

Associate
Thanks Pheeb, that's good news, I can watch and wonder!

Regarding the gobandit, it looks slimmer and less "OH HI" than the GoPro, but was unable to find any more about how ruggedly built it is. Does it have many useful advantages to the GoPro (I assume GoPro is still the most often preferred option generally) other than the Wifi thing? Ooh, apparently latest GoPro has some kind of wifi ability too.

Ok, ramble over!

Associate
OP
The major difference I have read up on is the connection to the iPhone! When we're bundling off about the world, it's pretty darn useful to do a direct upload to an iPhone where we can edit whilst having a cuppa on the side of the road and then immediately plonk on our site and through all our social media! Means it's all very flowing and we wouldn't have to dig out a notebook or anything!

Am trying to find some contacts for gobandit as it would be nice to have a chat about it/see the product! I'm wondering if they're at the bike show in Feb in laaahndaaaaaaan! Might be worth a tootle!

Thanks dangermouse! Great to have people watching!

Wow nice to see a couple of people jump on our facebook and twitter! We've not started advertising it yet, it was only the initial set up for the launch of our site this week! There's going to be soooooooo much to come including videos and photos of us attempting to erect a 12x10ft shed this weekend to store our bikes in! Luckily... I'm a property developer (well glorified builder ;)) so hopefully my skills and tools will come into play!

Wheeeeeeeeeee! heehehe!

Associate
Thanks Dhill!

Can I ask what your association is with Riders for Health? We're linked in through Get On with it (Miles Taylor is helping us out with the links of this here!)

Would be great to hear more! If I need to pm let me know :)

A PM would be appreciated Pheebs :)

Associate
OP
Oh and so it's a bit less alien as to who we are... here we are!!

Clare%2Band%2BSam3.jpg

Our better side though...

Clare%2Band%2BSam%2B2.JPG

Note the MASSIVE map in the background... it's full of squiggles of where we're going and is set up in our lounge as a constant reminder of our trip ahead!

Meet Sam's current bike love... his KTM 990 Adventure S:

26307_380431547971_515302971_3872228_7881040_n.jpg

:)

Happy days ahoy!

Associate
OP
Sam would like to get the Enduro too in an ideal world :) We're seeing whether KTM can give us a hand at the moment!

If all else fails and our budget doesn't allow for he will go with his 990 :) It would be nice to have the same bikes that way we can carry parts to suit both easily! We're also going on various mechanics courses too so we can learn how to sort them out in times of trouble!

It's going to be a steep learning curve (for me at least! :D)

Soldato
Sam would like to get the Enduro too in an ideal world :) We're seeing whether KTM can give us a hand at the moment!

If all else fails and our budget doesn't allow for he will go with his 990 :) It would be nice to have the same bikes that way we can carry parts to suit both easily! We're also going on various mechanics courses too so we can learn how to sort them out in times of trouble!

It's going to be a steep learning curve (for me at least! :D)

Sounds like you're getting everything planned and the most important thing to remember which is a failure of most car drivers - LOOK! by that i mean most bikers tend to plan ahead so instead of rushing up to traffic lights etc and stopping. They'll knock their speed off and get to the lights so they change by the time they get there allowing them to keep going so they don't have to stop.

Awareness is the bikers biggest allie!

Back
Top Bottom