Chasing Horizons

Associate
OP
I'll be taking mod 1 on a 500cc! All arranged... Day out next Friday with Sam and Ianto on a 500, then practice day on the actual test centre on the Sunday and test either Monday/Tuesday :)

Super excited!!

Frogboy and fakey, not long and I'll be there!

Associate
That's great news. Can't beat a run round the actual 'assault course'... The 2nd training school I went with let you do this, however I was only with these guys for my mod2.....not the joker who I did my cbt and mod1 with.

Slight tip for the hazard avoidance, when you get to it.....if you can go through the speed trap part already slightly angular, not bang down the middle (although its not that wide), it will help set you up for the avoidance part.

Good luck for Friday....and most of all, have fun....but it seems like yr achieving that already :D

Associate
OP
www.chasinghorizons.co.uk

HOORAH!

The website is up and running! Sam and I are really chuffed it’s *finally* made it to the wonderful world of the interweb! Due to minor glitches here and there, it’s been slightly delayed in coming but we pulled off a few all nighters, drank ourselves a high sharehold of caffeine and VOILA! We’re off!

We’re awaiting on the arrival of some gear before we put the details up in the gear section… not long though (I cannot tell you how excited we are about this!) There will be reviews of Rukkas Arma S and Rukkas Armiinas suits as well as the X Lite 551 helmets so keep watching and let us know if there’s any details you’d like us to particularly look at with regards to the items! As for the bikes… we’re nervously awaiting some news and will be putting more details up in the next couple of weeks.

Please do go have a snoop about and feel free to make comments! If you have any feedback or questions you’d like us to answer in our FAQ section please ping us an email or post in the thread :) We'll respond as soon as we can!

[email protected]

If you fancy it, jump onboard the twitter and facebook pages – all updates of piccies/videos and blogs can be pinged to you wherever you are!

Chasing Horizons Facebook
Chasing Horizons Twitter

Associate
OP
Wowee! Seen there's been a lot of Facebook and Twitter adds linked through OCUK here! Thank you guys so much for your support we super dooper appreciate the likes and followings!

Wheeeeeeeeee! Out on the bikes in a few days! Excited! PLUS! Find out what the situation is about our own bikes... nervous! :)

Associate
OP
Hey people!

So the training continues! I hopped on a 500cc yesterday and had a pootle about on an incredibly lush day in sunny Wales! All things are going well and we're loving every minute of it! We also saw the Wales Air Ambulance yesterday - great charity! If you fancy a cuppa tea, a read and a mooch through photos and videos then take a peak below for new diary posts:

http://www.chasinghorizons.co.uk/diary/

waa-chris-and-sam.jpg

Facebook - Chasing Horizons

:) Thanks for all your support people! Don't forget, feel free to bug us with questions and requests! Bed time now as more training in Swansea in the morning! Woohoo!

Associate
OP
Glaucus - what were you involved in which included the Air Ambulance if you don't mind me asking?

Sooooo... today we were practising the mod 1 test and I was doing mega up until the point I decided to take the swerve test at 30mph... but on my arse as opposed to on the bike!

What a muppet! Wasn't having any problems and just needed to bring my speed up slightly. Chris told me to release the throttle once through the speed trap so when I headed back round, I concerned myself more with the speed and upon bopping through the speed trap my head went blank other than "I need to slow down now... Ooo look I'm heading right for the cones.. Ooh lets brake... wham bam thank you ma'am wheee I'm on my butt!"

Not the brightest of things but I tell you what... so happy I've thrown myself off a bike in a controlled area and now know what it feels like and what I did wrong/how I could have avoided it. Better now than on the road. Despite dented pride, thwacked headlamp and bruised hip and knee... I did manage to get back on and do it again to a pass standard although it took me a couple of runs to get the speed and confidence back up.

Such a bummer as I was doing really well with the whole test and my ride around day on Friday was spot on and included plenty of dodging pot holes at speed, steep turns and control!

Never mind, onwards and upwards! I'm sure there will be more incidents in the future (off roading specifically in mind here!) so I'll take it on the chin (and knee... and hip), learn from it and move forward!

Test on Wednesday... will try my best not to do any sideways manoeuvres!

Associate
Not the brightest of things but I tell you what... so happy I've thrown myself off a bike in a controlled area and now know what it feels like and what I did wrong/how I could have avoided it. Better now than on the road. Despite dented pride, thwacked headlamp and bruised hip and knee... I did manage to get back on and do it again to a pass standard although it took me a couple of runs to get the speed and confidence back up.

I know exactly what you mean. I did something similar. :D

I've never made that mistake again though!

Good luck for Wednesday. :)

Associate
OP
Hahaha! Yeh we were on the Get On site... more to come on that too :)

Been off the radar for a week or so due to training and working our socks off!

The training so far has been superb! The team at Smart Motorcycle Training have said I am a natural (oo la la!) however, I made a superb fluff up and decided it would be a stupendous idea to throw myself round some cones on my derriere at 30mph as opposed to the bike! Not my finest moment but fortunately in a controlled environment. It served as a good lesson of what to do when you hit something small (... e.g. not brake when on top of it! I'll only end up on my butt!)!

So I have encountered my first tumble (of which I am sure there will be many when the off roading courses take place) and despite being a bit bumped and bruised, all is good!

We've now had our Module 1 tests too... and passed! Weh hey! Here are a few of the clips from the day...

Sam starting up for his Module 1 Test featuring Ianto our nutty Instructor!

I was slightly nervous here after throwing myself off the bike during the practice swerve test a week and a half prior:

Sams awesomely controlled slalom and figure of 8... a little too tight though for Iantos nerves!

Celebrations and mickey taking... Having passed with no minors and Sam with two (one due to forgetting rear observation and the other for riding too slow... when doing the slow riding section of the exam!) It's probably going to be the only chance I will have one up on him when riding so I relished the opportunity whilst it lasted!

We now have a nice Sunday ride planned this weekend and then will be out on Module 2 on Monday! Feeling a bit more relaxed about this one... Module 1 just felt so sterile being in a playground like fenced off area! Still a wee bit apprehensive but fingers crossed eh!

Lots more vids, pics and diary entries below:

Chasing Horizons Webby
Facebook Chasing Horizons
Chasing Horizons Twitter

If you get the opportunity, any "likes" on our Facebook page would be massively appreciated!

Cheers guys and girls! Looking forward to joining you all soon on the road!! :D

Associate
OP
HAhaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks muchly!

Both passed! Wheee!

A few minors handed to us both (by an incredibly muppet of an examiner!)! Sam was handed a few for being over cautious and one for going 60mph instead of 70mph. Upon returning he was bluntly asked:

Moo of an Examiner: *dryly* "Do you know the difference between Give Way and Stop?"
Sam: "Erm... yeh one you don't have to stop at if it's clear and the other you have to stop no matter what.."
Examiner: "Then why did you stop at a give way?"
Sam: "Er.... because I wanted to check it was clear?!"
Examiner: "Well it was"
Sam: "Erm. Sorry?"

Fair enough, at the end of the day if it's not considered as the correct protocol then Sam should get a minor.... but he could have put it more elegantly and less like a muppet!

I picked up two - one doing a slightly late life saver check (in a quiet off street... bum nuggets to me!) and another for not turning my indicator off quick enough (two car lengths into the road and I realised it was still flicking due to my numb thumb (can't feel my left thumb) not pressing hard enough on indicator). Fair enough though, will accept those minors!

Good day though! Rode back and was just so relieved! Left us both exhausted!

Did get a right telling off though by the instructors... and that was before I was anywhere near the bikes! Haha! They were being... erm... miserable shall we say! Shame as it tarnishes our views on examiners (made me think "they must be a certain breed of species to do this job... miserable lifeless twonks!" (stronger words may have been thought but censored here ;))

More of that on the blog tomorrow (right now, the blog is being back burnered for the celebrations of white chocolate bran flake cakes, earl grey tea and Left 4 Dead 2 on steam ;))

Next though... getting our bikes! Bit of a nerve racking time as we're waiting for some news... failing that I have to wait for the remortgage to go through which will be in about 4 weeks time then we will go SHOPPING! :D

Needless to say, the colour will most probably be orange ;)

Soldato
Sounds great. I plan/hope to ride a round the world in the next few years. In particular to India, Korea, Austrailia, New Zealand, where I can stay with friends.

Can I ask what your budget is for the trip for both of you and how long you plan to be away for?

Back
Top Bottom