Chasing Horizons

Associate
Sam would like to get the Enduro too in an ideal world :) We're seeing whether KTM can give us a hand at the moment!

If all else fails and our budget doesn't allow for he will go with his 990 :) It would be nice to have the same bikes that way we can carry parts to suit both easily! We're also going on various mechanics courses too so we can learn how to sort them out in times of trouble!

It's going to be a steep learning curve (for me at least! :D)

Sounds great, good luck with all the prep!

Associate
OP
I say I am a novice rider but 11 years ago when I was 16 I did have a couple of years worth of scootering about on a twist and go! I learned VERY quickly that I was pretty much invisible to the general motoring public (or always to think that that was the case) and to always be one step in front of them! I remember within the first few months of riding I was on a roundabout when a lorry joined next to me. I knew instantly he hadn't seen me (or cared I was there) and as he got closer and ignored my honking I just threw the bike down and took to the roundabout island on foot! If I hadn't I'd be nicknamed Shrove Pheebs today!

From that moment on I planned for idiots / accidents everywhere I went (some said I was morbid but I said it was the safest way to think!) and it managed to save me from a few sticky situations! I plan on taking these old experiences with me even though I'd like to hope people are more aware... it just takes one!

I'm most excited about off roading to be honest! Whoop whoop!

Associate
OP
Already linked in with The Hubb! ;D That and Adventure Rider and Adventure Bike Rider :D

Great forums! Will be posting much more after this site is up! Just sorting this out and various clients at the moment (so much work on it's insane) and then I can have a bit more fun with organising biking :D

Associate
OP
Well first day yesterday on a motorbike! Was SUPER awesome! Loved it! It was part of the Get On scheme so an hours free trial where I got to fiddle about on a 125cc and then was upped to a 500cc (apparently the trainer has about 1 in 10 people upped to a 500cc in these sessions so I was mega chuffed!)

Website has had delays as confirming texts for the charities but should be up on Monday! In the meantime, take a look here for photos and videos:

Chasing Horizons Facebook Page

Here's my first attempt doing figures of eights round cones:

If you listen to the instructor (Neil - mega man!) he says I'm doing good! Whee! Hahahaha!

Associate
OP
Thanks guys :D

CB Tomorrow in Swansea with a bunch of ex coppers! Proper Welshys this lot... really looking forward to it! Think there's going to be a few laughs! Will be taking photos and vids!

Eeeee! Excited and nervous! Hehe!

Associate
OP
Ahhahaha! Thanks... I hope it is! I remember doing it on the twist-and-go 10 years ago... just have to get my head around this whole back and front brake business! I think that's what confuses me the most! ;D

Associate
What an awesome project.
Seeing as you mention brakes, when I did my mod 1, the surface of the MPTC (multi purpose test centre) is slightly different from tarmac on the roads, and can be slightly unpredictable when damp/wet (this time of year)...hence I failed first time as I locked the rear (albeit fractionally) on the emergency stop. Later read somewhere that someone suggested only about 20% rear brake to be safe. So just take your time and everything should be fine.

Go get 'em !

Associate
OP
hlxbravo: Thank you for the heads up on brakes! I get to have a play on the test centre area soon so will bear this in mind! :D

As some of you have seen... we PASSED! Hoorah! It was a bit of a damp and dull day heading over to Swansea and I was awash with sleepiness, nerves, want-for-a-pancake (shrove tuesday) but it was a lovely day all the same!

Smart Motorcycle Training in Swansea were phenomenal. Ianto, who we have met a few times before, cracked me up so much throughout the day! He really knew how to blow away the nerves! With very clear, concise and simple instructions the guy was full of beans and keeping us on our toes all day!

As I had the Get On hour on the friday previous I felt a little bit more confident in what I was doing but the thought of pootling along on the open roads amidst traffic didn't half put the heebie jeebies up me! Ianto managed to build my confidence though and with Sam pootpootling along aside me in the car park I was more than happy!

We made our way out onto the road and things seemed much easier gear changing than they had in the car park... I'm guessing this was due to more room for acceleration and movement! I was constantly chatting away to myself in my helmet though reminding myself of the actions (alongside Ianto talking to me all the time on the comms... he was such as star at reassuring me, such an absolute star).

I did, however, manage to stall three times on my first roundabout...

First Stall... Me: "Oh Bugger bum poop and fudge... right... must be the nerves... start her back up again... brumm"
Second Stall... Me: "Seriously!?!? Seriously! Maybe too much clutch again!?"
Third Stall... Me: "Whaaaaaaat the MONKEYS is going on!?! Getting biting point... accelerating enough... why?! WHY!? I need to get my butt into gear.. oh. Oh hang on... gear. FUDGE I've been sat in second! YOU PRATT SOUTHERN!"

Hahahaha! I felt like such a muppet! I think that was probably my only major glitch (on the busiest roundabout in history too... what a nincompoop!) I did have the odd boshing the gear into neutral as opposed to second but after an hour or so out I was much much smoother!

Sam had a good day too! He enjoyed being back on a bike as it's been a while! He found it odd having to do exaggerated movements to check mirrors so the instructor could read what you were doing but other than that (and finding it odd not to stand up over humps... he's used to off roading in his KTM 990 Adventure) he loved it! I did think he might find it all a bit tedious seeing as he's ridden for 8 years and done half way rtw already... but Ianto and the team made it interesting enough for us both which was awesome of them! Sam was nervous though about not passing! I guess the pressure is on when you have an expectation of 8 years riding! Curse Dubai licence and being unable to transfer!

Anyway, I yabber on! A wet sticky-rain day but a great one all the same! Am still smiling now and excited about Mod 1 (although remain nervous in a good way!) Our first big step though... :D

Some piccies of the day for you:

Ianto+and+Clare+-+Smiles+at+the+beginning%21.jpg

Ianto, my Welsh instructor from Smart Motorcycle Training in Swansea and I outside prior to the day starting!

IMG_0605.jpg

Me riding into a container! Haha! I did manage to turn... it's just the way the pic looks! Honest gov!

IMG_0614.jpg

Both Sam and I on the bikes! Couldn't be a happier duo!

IMG_0616.jpg

We'd just gone out on the roads for our first ride about and had stopped for a warming cuppa! I was only just properly settling in and eager to jump back on asap!

IMG_0620.jpg

POOCH giving Sam and snog! Chris - another Smart Motorcycle Swansea Instructor - had a beauuuuuuuuuutiful malamute husky pooch! He was ENORMOUS but stupid friendly! Absolutely adorable hunky man of fluff!

The website is due to be launched over the weekend where there will be much more information about the day and what we're doing/riding/gear etc so please take a look in the future at www.chasinghorizons.co.uk

In the meantime, you can see more piccies and videos here: Chasing Horizons Facebook Page and regular updates on Twitter - Chasing Horizons. Please pop on and take a goosey goosey gander at our frollickings! We'd love to see people on there :) Thank you so much for all your support and well wishes!

Soldato
Congrats on passing. As I'm sure you found out it really isn't that hard to pass CBT. The learning starts now of course ;)

Personally I found Mod 1 to be fairly easy, however I was lucky in that the school I learnt on had a mock up of the testing set up, so I did that for days on end and so knew it inside and out. Good advice from hlxbravo about not really using the rear brake, it can be easy to lock it up so just press it slightly and use the front brake to stop the bike on the Emergency stop. You'll enjoy it anyway! Will you be doing an intensive course?

Associate
OP
Certainly will be :) We'll do mod 1, mod 2 and advanced with Smart Motorcycles and then go on to do two offroading courses as well as various other training and rides!

It would seem that the Mod 1 examiners are pretty tight down here but I'm confident Ianto will get us up to speed dandily! Wish I had a 125cc to practice on, that's all!

Back
Top Bottom