Chasing Horizons

Associate
OP
Sounds great. I plan/hope to ride a round the world in the next few years. In particular to India, Korea, Austrailia, New Zealand, where I can stay with friends.

Can I ask what your budget is for the trip for both of you and how long you plan to be away for?

Right! Have been up to the eyeballs with work (or trying to get it! Self employment - sheeesh!) and am just waiting for a home made pizza to be baked! Om nom nom! Sorry I've not dropped a note before!

Your ride sounds amazing! We would LOVE to do Asia/Australia/New Zealand super amounts! Unfortunately time and monies is going to be an issue for us to do this side of the world in one stint but we may squidge it in!

Budget wise... not including buying bikes, training, gear, flights etc... to actually cover 50,000miles on two bikes in 16months we're estimating approximately £20,000.

Really... to be safe I'm trying to arrange it so we have £25,000 to take. This is pretty much EVERYTHING we have in one pot! Haha!

It varies massively when it comes to daily costs depending on which countries you are travelling through but at the moment we're avoiding one HUGE cost by avoiding countries with carnets... which is an absolute budget crippler! If we were to head to... say India or Australia then we'd have to have a deposit in a bank with anywhere up to 400% of the value of our bikes.

So... our bikes are looking at around £6,000 each... meaning we'd need an additional £48,000 in cash tucked away in a bank. Which... at 26 years of age I certainly do not have!!

Oooh dinners served! Will be back with some more mind boggling figures (which makes me weep a little) later ;D

Associate
OP
Been busy again running about like a loon as ever!

In the next couple of weeks we will be launching the FAQs page on Chasing Horizons and this will have more on budget and expenses! I will link this here when it's up!

Just a quick bosh though - new blog entries and photos on the site for our training on Module 2! They include the likes of:

Sam was super happy not to have to say “See you next Tuesday” (the next test date to retake the exam) but at the same time a little sad he missed out on the opportunity of this remark too!

and

Me: “So... can I ask if I have passed or not?”
Examiner: “You can ask.”
Me: “ARGHRGHRGHGH YOU ABSOLUTE SMARMY KNOB

;)

For more have a looksy here:
Our Diary

Enjoy the read peoples! If you get a chance, please like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter as the more people we have, the more our sponsors will give towards our charities! :) Thanking you!

Facebook Fan Page

Thaaaank you SUPER amounts :)

Associate
OP
WHEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :D :D :D

We received this parcel yester:

March2012Package2.jpg

.... packed full of our kit!! Beautiful Rukka gear (Armas and Arminnas Jackets and Trousers!)

Super dooper chuffed and happy! Will be doing reviews on them a bit later today with videos and piccies so watch this space!! Also had confirmation our helmets will be sent out in the next 2 weeks and had the start of all the PR kicking off with a couple of press releases (May is going to be mental with magazines / events and press stuff!)

Scan.jpeg

It's all becoming quite real now! Only 4.5months to go.... and having to wait another couple/few weeks for bikes! Exciting!

Associate
Soooooo jealous! Like everyone in this thread!

Hopefully you raise enough awareness as well as some monies for the charities but do enjoy the adventure.

Im so jealous.

There was a topic on reddit about a guy who travelled most of asia and the middle east, he did an AMA. You should check it out if you havent, it might give you more ideas on extra preparation.

I'll be following your adventure, so dont forget to post pics and whatnot.

Associate
OP
Thanks William!! Not seen the reddit (although we read COUNTLESS travel blogs and follow many that are live at the moment! Love it!) ... if you have a linky that would be mega!

Dangermouse... the Scala headsets are proving to be quite popular but not necessarily for excessive use. Riders reviews have suggested that they have a tendency to fault a lot when in frequent use (ie for the likes of what we're doing).

Midlands with cobra headphones and mic seem to be pretty mega. They have a ridiculous scope too.

We're going to have a bit more of a play about with some in the next few weeks so when we get a good idea I'll let you know :)

Associate
OP
A wee update (or a mahoosive one!)!

Well. As said the past few weeks have been manic. I cannot explain how hard it is to juggle the amount of calls and arrangements we have been needing to make! Here's a shortened list of all we have been doing:

1. Sorting out medical side of things (details to come soon as jabs etc are in a couple of months)
  2. Figuring out exactly what gear we need... then revisiting this list and reducing it down again... and then doing that again (we have to travel light and budget)... and then finding where we can get them at the best price ... then revisit the list again! You get the general idea ;)
  3. Sourcing bikes.We've been dangled a carrot for a deal with regards to a couple of bikes but this has been going on now for over 6months and we finally had to make a decision and go elsewhere. If anyone does this kind of thing, make sure you have an earlier deadline and aren't such suckers for marketing spiel... 3months before is pushing it a bit!! Especially for me seeing as I've only been on a bike 7 times!
  4. With regards to bikes, sorting out what adaptions we need to make. Once again, making a list, revisiting, finding where we can source them at what price, finding costs for anything that needs to be fitted by mechanics, revisit lists etc.
  5. Liaising with our Charities! Yeh we've been greedy in having three but they're all so superb and cover all expanses of our challenge so we're mega happy to be supporting all of them! But sorting out things for events so leaflets, posters, shaky tins, handouts etc as well as press opportunities is quite a handful!
  6. Sorting out event bits and bobs. Where on EARTH do you find two mannequins for example!! Haha! Luckily TranAm have leant us a couple which are standing in our dining room (scared the Be'jesus out of me when I came downstairs the following morning! Hahaha!) Display boards, transport, storage of things, gazebos, tables, chairs, bikes, maps etc etc.
  7. Arranging all the PR. So much going on here and it's all about to kick off! So constant phone calls and emails to various media connections.
  8. Sorting out website bits, conducting *previews* arranging for kit and gear delivery, taking photos, blogging etc. Hours of fun here!
  9. Insurance... with Sam having a "new" license again this has been a right pain in the bum but eventually Bike Sure have come back and helped us out massively with insurance! As we only need it for a few months before we hit Canada and then back in Europe we were struggling to find anyone who would help us out (it was all year insurance deals etc). Can't sing Bike Sures praises enough here and super quick/friendly :)
  10. Building garages to home our bikes-to-be! We built one a few months back but had COUNTLESS problems with the roof (never EVER buy from Gardens Building Direct! Utter tripe customer service and poor quality stuff!) so today have spent the day outside replacing it! Lush!
  11. Finishing off the house and preparing it for renting out. Only odds and sods left but they all take up hours at a time (gravelling the front garden, fixing a couple of doors, painting the outside wall, emptying the house of junk etc)
  12. Sounds daft... but seeing friends and family. We have only 3months and a bit left. With such a lot going on all the time we're trying to fit everyone we know and love in before we head off. We will have a launch party but it's just nice to catch up before hand!
  13. Working! We have to do our own work too so whilst all the above is happening we're working through the evenings and nights to get projects done and dusted!
  14. Finding time for us! Not happening much! But we're trying to switch off and do non-bike-challenge-related-things too from time to time!

Annnd... I think that's about it! Each item is simple enough to deal with one or two at a time but we are constantly juggling phone calls, emails, running to and from locations, tools, more phone calls, emails, collections, events, geeking out on blogs and internet, reviews, photos, crunching figures, researching, visiting people, docs, working, trying to sleep, phone calls etc!

Admittedly last Monday I had a major down day. After 6 months of speaking with people who would constantly promise returned calls and emails... no one was answering their phones and if they were they were being rude:

"I'm sorry they're not available"
"They're away from their desk"
"They're in a meeting... and I don't know how long the meeting will be, want me to put you through to voicemail?"
"Oh they're away now for two weeks, can it wait?"
"I'll just put you through *beep beep...... beep beep.... beep beep* *line cuts out*"
"If you leave a message they'll get back to you"
"I don't have an answer yet. I'll let you know next week."

The thing is... with regards to some of the calls I have been making I don't mind if people just are honest and say "we can't help you" or "we're not interested" etc... that's great for Sam and I as it means we then can focus on different avenues. But to have people say to us "Amazing great, that's superb, we love the idea, we'd love to help, leave it with us and we'll get back to you this week..." and then that rolls on to two weeks... then a month... then they're away... then they don't take calls... then they're interested and will finalise details... then no response... then no answers.... it's a complete mind mash.

So last Monday I just burst into tears! The above, combined with being shattered and also still suffering from a knee injury so unable to exercise and feeling like a fatty... I just broke! I officially had given up! I felt horrendous as I could see no way of doing the challenge, monetary wise or physically and what's more I had been rejected by all contacts all day. Worse of all though.. I felt that if I couldn't pull myself together I would be letting so many people down, namely our charities.

Sam was such a sweetie though. After cuddles and tea I was sent to wake up with a shower for my frazzled bed hair (getting changed in the morning has not been happening lately due to so much being on!! It's a case of fall out of bed, make porridge, drink tea whilst checking emails, get out note book of godliness and calendar, start organising, emailing, calling and working!) He then took me outside to DIY... probably one of my favourite past times!! Granted... it started raining and thundering (cue us holding up our rakes and shovels cheering... probably not the wisest of ideas )... but it was lovely and he picked me back up!

Tuesday Sam took on various phone calls and we made some executive decisions and by Thursday the bikes had been sorted for pick up in a weeks time, various kit arranged, insurance done, event organising all organised, mannequins collected, parcels received and picked up and work completed.

Not only that but we have had some LOVELY phone calls and support from friends, charities and sponsors this week which has really helped to pick me up.

So!

Next week... we get the bikes!! I cannot wait, I am so relieved it's all coming together now and feel we can really get moving! We *can* do this challenge! So far, so good! Last week, yeh I had a blip but I'm back and with a vengeance! We're a little short for time but by heck, if I have anything to do with it we will make the date and we will do all we can to raise as much monies and awareness for all our charities!

Wheeeee!

Right.. time for a glass of wine me thinks

Associate
OP
Wow we’ve had a mad mad few weeks! Updates below!

New Bikes!

Finally! Sam and I managed to lay our hands on these two beautiful KTM 690 Enduro R 690’s!

New-Bikes%21.jpg

Lovingly named Calvin and Hobbes we’ve been grinning ear to ear... well I have been... Sam on the other hand has been a sad sad bunny as his bike kept going *POP* detaching the throttle body detached from the Engine!
Since having it new... he’s ridden the bike a total of 5 times and 4 of those occasions we ended up broken down at the side of the road! Once we managed to catch on camera... and luckily in the dealers car park too! Weh hey!

After weeks of problems and the technicians at Fowlers (our dealership) not having a clue what is wrong with the bike... we’re now awaiting a brand new one! Fowlers have been mega and helped out as much as they can... the duff bike is currently with KTM who are trying to figure out why it keeps happening, when we find out more we’ll let you know!

For a more in depth story about what’s happened including videos and pictures take a look at our blog post here (and sign up to our facebook! We’re always updating with news and competitions and all sorts!)

Stop - Hammer Time Blog
Sam’s Bikes Final Kaputt
Facebook Page: Chasing Horizons

Touratech:
Amidst all the above we took time out to pop along to the Touratech Adventure Travel Weekend to hold a charity stand and met some STUPENDOUSLY awesome people (including Sam Manicom, Caroline Taylor (the resident Doc for Nick Sanders Expeditions), Nathan who nuttily rode a 50cc back from the land of Oz in flip flops, Andreas Hülsmann a journalist and photographer (thanks for the tips on the D200!!) and so many more adventure riders (Jason, Lisa, Jon, Charlie, Kim, Rod, Craig, Barbara, Louise, Alec are just a few!).

Touratech+Stand+Ta+Da.jpg

We learned so so much! SO much! Not only that but we had a tremendous time charity raising, so many people donated to the Wales Air Ambulance, Riders for Health and World Land Trust and everyone was keen in taking part in Guess the Weight of the Cake:

WAA-Cake-Front.jpg

The winner was Mister Jason Spafford who guessed the closest to the whopping weight of 6.83kg!
So much happened and there’s a diary post to the day here if you want a proper read but such a great weekend!

Touratech Adventure Travel Event 2012 Blog

Birthday Biking Surprises:
I managed to have the most tremendous birthday ever! Not only was it a gorgeous day, but we had the fun of tootling out and about on the bikes (Sam at the time had a courtesy bike of a KTM 990 SMT which was beautiful!)

When stopped off at our favourite lake (Blagdon) we took pew on a log in a nearby shaded wooded area to cool down.... when Sam completely threw me and popped the question! All caught on camera too as we were testing the Contour ROAM cameras we had :) Needless to say I said yes!

Engaged.jpg

The blog post for this is below:

Birthday Biking and Muddy Knees

So yeh! It’s all super busy! We’re currently sorting out our off road courses, are getting in all the kit for the bikes, have a couple of events to pop to and lots of people to meet up with before we head off... hopefully from the Travel Adventure Film Festival in Sherborne (that’s another story... randomly meeting Austin Vince and having a BBQ with him and a fellow biking friend who is also doing a mammoth RTW trip! Nuts!)

We have previews and reviews coming up on various items (including the Contour ROAM and XLite X551) and our website is bulking out with more and more details on gear, bikes, press and all sorts so do visit!
All go go go but all good good good! Not long now!

Once again, please please please if you get the opportunity “like” our facebook page as the more likes we get, the more moolah we will be getting for our charities from our sponsors! Yaaaay for charities! :D

Associate
OP
Hey guys!

Quick update here!

Bikey Mc Bikes:
Sam’s new bike (Stimpy) has arrived and is being a good little bike unlike his last one who’s throttle body kept popping off the engine! After happening 4 times, Fowlers swapped the bikes out which was mega by us! Still no news from KTM as to what was actually wrong with his bike… seems to be a bit of an enigma… when we find out we’ll let you know!

Diary Update Link and Video: Sams Kaputt Bike
Facebook Link

Day of Champions 2012 (MotoGP) Riders for Health:
Sam and I were invited up to the Day of Champions which was just incredibly superb fun! We met so many people from all over, did a little interview on their MASSIVE stage, saw lots of famous people (see video below… if anyone knows who the devil they are do let us know! We caught the Ride in too so hello to all those on the video!) and generally had a great day!

Day-of-Champions-Parked-Up.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

ss11.jpg

Youtube Link
Diary Update Link - Day of Champions 2012
Facebook Link

Off Road Training:
Well… after 16 times on a motorbike (including my tests) I was thrown in at the deep end and went on a stupendous off road training day with Wheeldon Training in Devon! Never have I had so much fun! Despite a number of offs (mainly when stopped funnily enough) I loved it and learned so much! The team down there are amazing too… managed to cater for both Sam (8 years of riding – off roading and rallies) and me all in one! Videos to come… watch this space!

clare.jpg

jump1.jpg

Facebook Link

Thanks for all your ongoing support guys and girls! We super appreciate it :)

Associate
OP
Meet Fluffy, the most STUPENDOUS awesome mega of boots in the whole entire universe.

WARNING: Do NOT look at picture below should you be epileptic.

MEGASTUPENDOUSAWESOMEBOOTSOFJOY.jpg

Oh and meet my cookie monster pants (well their my mans but I nicked them as I love them too). God Damn It. I am one mega fashion guru!

We've just had new akrapovic exhausts fitted which sound like BOOOM! Feel free to follow our trip here: Chasing Horizons Bookface or read here: http://www.chasinghorizons.co.uk

Today's getting a bit too much for me. I'm overloading on joy it's like Christmas. Exhausts, Fluffy, Scala Headset, new sprockets, screen and new episode of The Walking Dead on Steam to download... I may just explode.

Back
Top Bottom