• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
Nah, the burnt connectors I've seen have blatantly been fitted incorrectly, all the melting was at the pin end nowhere nearnthe solder, the worst thing that would happen with solder is a dry joint or someone bending the cable so far that the solder snapped, solder is however a relatively soft metal.
If was anything to do with the solder the main structure of the connector would have melted or the solder would have lost electrical contact.
What a ridiculous discussion, don't look up

Associate
I also kind of see the pattern that "inferior" 600W boards are affected more than others.
Its mainly TUF and Gigabyte, the only inferior boards allowing 600W PL. No Strix, no FE.
Of course, Suprim X cases contradict this, but some pattern is there.

Also, it seems strange that all partner boards have worse power efficency at idle and worse transistent spikes than FE, even if they seemingly use the same power delivery with more phases(Strix/Suprim use the same voltage controller with more power phases).

This and the fact that no FE has melted seems to point to the fact that FE is still somehow using superior board layout than the rest.
Nice theory, but I have seen on the Reddit Nvidia site there was a strix and suprim user who had a melted adaptor.

Associate
can anyone answer a query for me please?

on the cablemod website configurator, there's the option to choose a 3 x 8 pin pcie cable for "600W 3090TI or 4080" or choose a 4 x 8 pin pcie cable for "600W 4090". I have a 4090 that takes 3 8 pin pcie cables, so I assume I should specify the 3 x 8 pin on the configurator even though it says it's for a 3090TI or 4080, not 4090?

Associate
can anyone answer a query for me please?

on the cablemod website configurator, there's the option to choose a 3 x 8 pin pcie cable for "600W 3090TI or 4080" or choose a 4 x 8 pin pcie cable for "600W 4090". I have a 4090 that takes 3 8 pin pcie cables, so I assume I should specify the 3 x 8 pin on the configurator even though it says it's for a 3090TI or 4080, not 4090?
You can select how many PCI-E connectors you need, just make sure to order the correct version for you PSU manufacturer!

I would assume that a x3 connector would be perfectly fine for your card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still waiting for my EVGA CableMod cable to be despatched it's showing as expected shipping date of 6th November i placed my order on the 16th October.

Soldato
Nice theory, but I have seen on the Reddit Nvidia site there was a strix and suprim user who had a melted adaptor.
I wonder if it's more FE is the 4090 with least width and every other 4090 is a chonker in comparison so more pressure on that adapter bending against the sides of people's cases with AIBs than FEs.

Associate
Will post these in here as I have the other thread, using a cablemod cable now and plug showed no sign of burning. Tape is very easy to remove and replace to check your own :)

20221030-113351.jpg

20221030-113547.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Peel the fabric tape off (it goes back on easily) and pull back the sleeving to have a look.

Looks like i'm on the 300V cables. Fingers crossed the BeQuiet 12VHPWR adapter gets UK stock soon though, i'll change it just to be on the safe side.

4svc7FX.jpg.png

I think your warranty is voided if you do that. Not sure. Worth checking

The tape looks exactly the same when you put it back on, I doubt there's a way for them to tell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom