• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Associate
Cablemod has delayed the launch of the 90 and 180 degree adaptors due to not being able to make sure the design fits all the 4090 models on the market

They have published a list of models confirmed to work with the adaptor but they want to wait until they expand the compatibility list before launching

Confirmed cards that will work so far

• ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX® 4090
  • EK Quantum Vector2 Strix TUF RTX 4090
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founder’s Edition
  • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 4090 MASTER
  • Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 WINDFORCE

It's annoying that they're not selling the adapter for those who have a compatible card. I waited to order a cable and an adapter at the same time (to save on shipping) and would have already had the cable if I'd ordered :rolleyes:

Perhaps they're worried about the heat issues with the adapter? Seems a bit suspect that they've gone from a big countdown and "won't be long!" to "sorry, not available".

Associate
Had to RMA my Aorus 4090 Master because of a faulty LCD panel but I checked my connectors and they are pristine and have used it for gaming since the release.

Associate
Check out the latest Gamers Nexus Video on this, as it turns out, Bending the cables isn't the core reason for the melting cables. There is now evidence that there are inferior adapters being shipped. If you gently peel off the black tape and slide back the sleeves, you will either get either 150v markings or 300v markings.

The 150v ones that seem to be the cause

Last edited:

DDH

DDH

Associate
Check out the latest Gamers Nexus Video on this, as it turns out, Bending the cables isn't the core reason for the melting cables. There is now evidence that there are inferior adapters being shipped. If you gently peel off the black tape and slide back the sleeves, you will either get either 150v markings or 300v markings.

The 150v ones that seem to be the cause

I really dont think this matters and people are still grasping at straws to determine the problem. Im not an electrical engineer but it seems to me that if the cables were the issue, the melting would manifest at the cables. But instead it shows up in the housing of the connector.

Also there is that one reddit guy who had a melted connector saying his cable was using 300v cables

Caporegime
But it removes the need to bend cables in some cases which is what was causing the issue for 99% of people
yet people have made videos testing the connectors with extreme bending etc and it made no difference.

more than likely now people were clicking their connectors in fully and the b ending was helping to pull it out a bit more so making less contact.

although GamersNexus did a video where they tried it and the difference vs non boot and slightly higher temps seems to rule it out anyway.

Maybe it's not even the connector, it could be a certain type of PSU shooting down spikes, or people with their GPU power limit pushed over 100% and transient spikes. could be ghosts flowing down the internet for all we know now.

or just faulty actual cards

Associate
But it removes the need to bend cables in some cases which is what was causing the issue for 99% of people
Hence my comment about needing an extra wide case earlier which a certain poster was so keen to ridicule.

Not that I'm in the market for a £2,000 400W card, but a wide case is something I have looked at as I want to try a 200mm case fan some day (the theory is sound - larger fans can spin slower and quieter for the same airflow - but there doesn't seem to be that many 200mm case fans). Even with "normal" 100W-200W GPUs, bending cables to squeeze them in is scary.

Caporegime
They do? i ran two 200mm case fans in a CM HAF case for years, one top one front, best silent airflow ever! Nothing since can touch that.

Bring back 200mm case fan mounts....
I've been running 200/230mm fans in a HAF X for around 12 years. No issues.

it's already been disproved that bending the wire does anything....

btw 200mm case fans have known issues
Nvidia good, 200mm case fans bad.

Soldato
Isn't everything?

A lot of packaging is; taking components made elsewhere and just using Chinas cheap labour and cheap shipping. The "made in China" wording is deceptive; many products are made in many countries by China is the last stage doing the package and shipping and whoever is last gets to put their name on it that's global rule.

I've had a look at some electronics that's solely made in China (well almost, China can't entirely manufacture many products due to technical failures, for example they struggle to make ball bearings so they'd never be able to do anything homegrown that requires active cooling) the quality was atrocious and actually where I live, insurance won't pay out if my house was to burn down because of one of these homegrown Chinese electronics were plugged in due to their low safety quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom