• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

4 cables allows 600W, 3 is limited to 450W.

Yes and no.

It actually depends how the sense wires are configured on the connector. Forbthe Nvidia adaptor, yes 3 = 450w and 4 = 600w. But for anything aftermarket, not necessarily, there are 2 and 3 wire branded cables that allows 600w and the reasoning because the sense wires are configured to allow 600w.

That's supposed to be the big selling point of this ATX3.0 16 pin HWPR system; the manufacturer can configure any power limit they want directly by how they wire the 4 sense wires - this single connector supports physical power limits anywhere between 150w and 600w

Last edited:
Yes and no.

It actually depends how the sense wires are configured on the connector. Forbthe Nvidia adaptor, yes 3 = 450w and 4 = 600w. But for anything aftermarket, not necessarily, there are 2 and 3 wire branded cables that allows 600w and the reasoning because the sense wires are configured to allow 600w.

That's supposed to be the big selling point of this ATX3.0 16 pin HWPR system; the manufacturer can configure any power limit they want directly by how they wire the 4 sense wires - this single connector can do anywhere between 150w and 660w
True, thanks for going further in-depth. :)

Last edited:
I’ve got the Corsair 600W cable turning up in a couple of days.

Here’s hoping my RM1000X supports 600W rather than 450W.

Got my 4090FE running with 4 separate cables currently and it’s a bit of a mess TBH. The replacement Corsair cable should tidy things up nicely.

Got my 4090FE running with 4 separate cables currently and it’s a bit of a mess TBH. The replacement Corsair cable should tidy things up nicely.
Did you get it from Corsair I have been waiting for them to come back into stock.

I believe you have to have a 1200w psu and above for the Corsair cable to supply 600w from 2 8 pin pcie.

Last edited:
3 days now with no new burnt adaptor or cables reported

Maybe it was just a bad batch from the manufacturer?

Last edited:

With all the TUFS melting I hope it was just a bad batch and not a bad batch of graphics cards that can damage the connectors. We will see, we did have a recent driver update too, could that of helped too ? Who knows ... Need Nvidia to get back to us all and if it turns out to be drivers like with capacitor gate aka POSCAP vs MLCC .. Turned out to be drivers pushing to hard on the cards.

I believe you have to have a 1200w psu and above for the Corsair cable to supply 600w from 2 8 pin pcie.

I think you might be right but we shall see.

Had a 580W spike but typically the power usage is actually down on the 3090FE I used previously. Capped MW2 @ 120/4K native, no DLSS, and it was using on average <300W.

If the cable is no good I’ll just pop it on the MM and sell it on at cost. Corsair are sold out so had to use an easily found third-party instead but it was about the same price £20+PP.

It now 4 days on so no new burnt adapter or cables cases reported. 15 cases so far to date out of thousands who ordered 12VHPWR cables.

or people finally started plugging them in properly

So gamers nexus couldn't get a melt... Jay2cents couldn't get a melt and now
Jonny Guru couldn't get a melt https://imgur.com/gallery/YW9qEJu

Gamers Nexus couldn't get a melt
Jay2cents couldn't get a melt
Jonny Guru couldn't get a melt
Igor's Labs couldn't get a melt
TecLab couldn't get a melt 1st time
TecLab couldn't get a melt harder 2nd time at 150C

A reddit user warned everyone about danger of 180 degree adapters after he used 5 FormulaMod 180 degree adapters and 1 adapter melted on RTX 3090. Interesting, these adapters has same C style crimp connectors as Nvidia 12VHPWR adapter C style crimp connectors.

I read comments, user posted a link warned everyone not buy 180 degree adapters from AliExpress after his PC was destroyed 2 years ago when 1 adapter at the bottom was melted and burst into fire. The 4 adapters he bought all had same C style crimp connectors.

Last edited:
why would you buy any electronics from ali express when it's checheapest of the cheap, usually made with no safety standards or fake ones printed on them

ATX 3.0 PSU now melting connectors too, again maybe not inserted correctly or is it an issue with the graphics cards or the silly connector standards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/yltzbt/maybe_the_first_burnt_connector_with_native_atx30/

92r54iC.jpg

rnNkDSP.jpg

tzOOlyt.jpg

ozl1S9M.jpg

H5jiMo7.jpg

Last edited:

List of Confirmed Cases
DatePostCard Brand/ModelAdapter Type
October 24Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC?4x 8 pins
October 24Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 25Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereGalax 4090 SG4x 8 pins??
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim X 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim Liquid X 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 29Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC4x 8 pins
October 29Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 30Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
November 4Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
November 4Link HereGigabyte Aorus 40904x 8 pins
November 4Link Here 1MSI Gaming X Trio 4090N/A. See Notes
[1] - User is using ATX 3.0 PSU and not using the supplied adapter. PSU is MSI MEG Ai1300P

List of Unconfirmed Cases
October 28Link Here 1Zotac Amp Extreme Airo 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link Here 2Asus Strix 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link Here 3MSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 30Link Here 4Zotac Trinity OC 40904x 8 pins
October 31Link Here 5Inno3D XOC 40903x 8 pins

ATX 3.0 PSU now melting connectors too, again maybe not inserted correctly or is it an issue with the graphics cards or the silly connector standards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/yltzbt/maybe_the_first_burnt_connector_with_native_atx30/

92r54iC.jpg

rnNkDSP.jpg

tzOOlyt.jpg

ozl1S9M.jpg

H5jiMo7.jpg
Well, well, well. Look at what we have here. This guy has a ATX 3.0 PSU and using a Gen5 cable for his Gen5 connectors and still melts the cable? This throws a pretty sizeable and harden wrench into the works that this was limited to a few adapters. This is starting to look like a major design fault. And blaming people for "not connecting them correctly" will simply be ignored when the design itself comes into question. Lets be honest with ourselves people are plugging them proper.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the GPU until the issue is identified, verified and confirmed to be fix. Spending $1600+ is a lot of money to worry about melted connectors. Specially when I know, on my end, I've done everything correctly.
:(

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Look at what we have here. This guy has a ATX 3.0 PSU and using a Gen5 cable for his Gen5 connectors and still melts the cable? This throws a pretty sizeable and harden wrench into the works that this was limited to a few adapters. This is starting to look like a major design fault. And blaming people for "not connecting them correctly" will simply be ignored when the design itself comes into question. Lets be honest with ourselves people are plugging them proper. LOL
:D

This guy also looks like an experienced system builder and has many graphics cards and systems and an enthusiast too.. so it is starting to make me wonder what is really going on as we have not seen even one FE with a melting issue... is it the cards for AIBS that are the problem and they didn't follow Nvidia's power advice on the reference models design that they give them... It all smells of more than one issue causing all this now to me or a combination of issues.

This guy also looks like an experienced system builder and has many graphics cards and systems and an enthusiast too.. so it is starting to make me wonder what is really going on as we have not seen even one FE with a melting issue... is it the cards for AIBS that are the problem and they didn't follow Nvidia's power advice on the reference models design that they give them... It all smells of more than one issue causing all this now to me or a combination of issues.
If only EVGA could speak freely on the situation. Because I am beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with EVGA's "last straw". Because it's eerie coincidental that they got out right when this turns up.
Just saying...

What this does is make the possible 4090ti have dual 12 pin connections as one just isn't enough for the power draw of an AIB 4090 safe. It wont be long before there is a fire and then we shall see the S*** hit the fan.

List of Confirmed Cases
October 24Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC?4x 8 pins
October 24Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 25Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereGalax 4090 SG4x 8 pins??
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim X 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim Liquid X 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 29Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 30Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
November 4Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
November 4Link HereGigabyte Aorus 40904x 8 pins
November 4Link Here 1MSI Gaming X Trio 4090N/A. See Notes
[1] - User is using ATX 3.0 PSU and not using the supplied adapter. PSU is MSI MEG Ai1300P

List of Unconfirmed Cases
October 28Link Here 1Zotac Amp Extreme Airo 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link Here 2Asus Strix 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link Here 3MSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 30Link Here 4Zotac Trinity OC 40904x 8 pins
October 31Link Here 5Inno3D XOC 40903x 8 pins

This is way too many faulty leads, Nvidia really needs to step in and do something.

Back
Top Bottom