• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

The 3090 Ti actually had a crimped connector. Supposedly, the reason we see solder instead of crimping is because nvidia is not using the newer single seam terminals recommended by PCI SIG. Nvidia found that when the cable is bent in a North to south orientation, the terminals come loose and pop out and reported in to PCI SIG. This was back in August. In order to meet the timeliness for the 4090 launch they couldn't wait for PCI SIG to address this, hence they developed their own solution and use solder.

The Nvidia adapter itself is flawed.

There are very few cases on the market which are wide enough for the 4090. Average width of an AIB 4090 is around 150mm. Adding 36mm on top of that gets you to 186mm. This is right on the edge even for massive tower cases.

With how wide these cases are, its baffling how nvidia didnt deduce people would do thisnor atleast bundle a 90 degree adaptor.
Yeah, the use of solder always looked liked cheesy work around to me. This whole situation is completely baffling indeed. This has turned into a well known issue amongst PC gamers. And, I seriously doubt Nv will do anything about it unless pressured to do so. Shame really. But once someone decides to go to their local news outlet, etc besides reddit we might see change.

Last edited:
I think the whole PCI-E setup needs revisiting and redesigning.

It would be nice if GPUs pulled all their power from the PCI-E slot with extra power connectors plugging into the bottom of the motherboard.

This would make cable management much neater with much shorter cables going from the PSU to the edge of the motherboard.

I don't see why this could not be done as I have run CPUs that pulled more than 600W when overclocked.

Are the consumers ready to pay for £500 for even the most basic motherboard cos that is likely to be the case.

Imagine the amount of layers and traces required for 600w in the motherboard. As well as isolating the noise and interference of those power signals to the rest of the board…

You might have seen one too many mining motherboards. Also just Google mining board rek pic. There are plenty that are burnt up due to just pulling 75w off the pcie slot as per current standard

Last edited:

It would be nice if GPUs pulled all their power from the PCI-E slot with extra power connectors plugging into the bottom of the motherboard.

This would make cable management much neater with much shorter cables going from the PSU to the edge of the motherboard.

I don't see why this could not be done as I have run CPUs that pulled more than 600W when overclocked.

someone claims they replicated it by not fully plugging in the cable and they got 110c at 450watts

other better known youtubers already tried that and got nowhere though so you never know if he recalibrated his gun or not and faked the temps for views, since it's a small channel

Are the consumers ready to pay for £500 for even the most basic motherboard cos that is likely to be the case.

Imagine the amount of layers and traces required for 600w in the motherboard. As well as isolating the noise and interference of those power signals to the rest of the board…

You might have seen one too many mining motherboards. Also just Google mining board rek pic. There are plenty that are burnt up due to just pulling 75w off the pcie slot as per current standard

I did say redesigning.

I also think it could be done for a lot less than £500

I have used motherboards that could provide 600W or more to the CPU and another 300W+ to the GPUs (4 way SLI) that cost less than £500.

To do what I suggested in my OP would require a great deal of things to be redesigned but that is no reason not to.

seems like that change is just to make it easier to hold the connector when plugging it in for people with fat fingers or older folk that aren't so nimble with their grip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom