• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Totally dodging my point.

User error was only resulting in one connector melting in these 4090 builds. You mentioned the 24 pin, so you seem to be aware that these same users were most likely responsible for connecting all the other cables too.

In fairness, a lot of people buying GPU’s are probably installing the only part of a PC that wasn’t otherwise prebuilt for them.

For some people it’s the only part they’ll upgrade before buying a new PC every few years.

We forget sometimes that this is an enthusiasts forum for most.

Last edited:
Also a stroll in the general hardware section of this forum would suggest there are plenty people with no prior PC building experiences attempting to build PCs themselves or upgrade parts of PC themselves.

Fortune for most, you learn through mistakes and those mistakes aren’t £2k worth GPUs. But unfortunately for these 50 deep pocketed people, they have to learn the hard and the expensive way.

Also for those who are leveraging the connector at Nvidia, the connectors is clearly a PCI-SIG design which is open to adoption. Not sure how anyone can blame Nvidia for something it wasn’t their fault if there is flaws in the fundamental design of the plug.

It’s funny how people would bash Nvidia for literally anything.

No doubt Nvidia is synonymous with corporate greed and anti-consumer. Unfortunately this one issue has nothing to do with them. End of

Last edited:
nvidia basically turning around and calling end users retards instead of just saying the new cable standard wasnt thought through correctly to ensure a competent fit and that we had a couple of errors in manufacturing which added to the issue.

nope, just those stupid idiots that spent £2k oni a card, its your fault you are dumb
A bit harsh to be fair, Did you watch Linus tips video recently of a pre built system manufacturer that couldn't be arsed connecting the CPU 8 pin power plugs properly?

I guess not, But there's your answer if so called pros forget to do it right then I am 100% confident an inexperienced end user forgets also.

Not a dig just merely pointing out it happens to the best of us, When I build a system even when it's finished and I think it's finished I go back and check everything again, If people can't be bothered to plug things in properly then in all fairness it's their fault.

In fairness, a lot of people buying GPU’s are probably installing the only part of a PC that wasn’t otherwise prebuilt for them.

For some people it’s the only part they’ll upgrade before buying a new PC every few years.

We forget sometimes that this is an enthusiasts forum for most.

This is true, but if those same people are using the adapter that came with the GPU, they are responsible for correctly connecting both the 12VHPWR connector, and the PCIe connectors.

The fact that it's only the 12VHPWR connector getting melted in these builds seems to indicate that the 12VHPWR connector is more prone to errors (or at least more prone to errors leading to reddit posts) than the standard PCIe connectors.

I understand that people make errors, but when an adapter with two different kinds of connectors results in human error on one connector far more often than the other type of connector on that same adapter, it says something about the design of those two different types of connectors.

Last edited:
@Twinz So if someone plugged the EPS pin incorrectly and result in the motherboard and CPU to fry, do we equally call the EPS connector to be faulty in design??

You are based on the fact that you think only thing goes wrong in a pc build is the 12VHPWR. It is not the fact or the reality. What you seeing is just Reddit. the squeakest wheel etc.

Do you think someone who is dumb enough to plug RAM wrong way round and end up recking them would post it online to show their stupidity? Do you think someone who tried to force PCIE express devices into old PCI format slots and end up destroying everything would post online about their experiences? Do you think someone who slot in PGA CPUs wrong way round and end up destroying the entire system would post such incident? Someone plug molex/8pin wrong way round etc etc?

I am sure all of the above will and have happened as I have seen some pc with such incidents in real life but you don’t see them in Reddit. By that, do we say everything in the Pc connection is wrong cos it cannot stop user being absolute morons?!

What you proposing or suggesting is just so narrow and based on 0 evidential deduction.

You are assuming humans don’t make mistakes and they are able to do repeated workload with 100% accuracy and 100% repeatability; that they are able to assimilate instruction perfectly and that they read instruction before starting and that they are able spot errors in their own work with 100% probability…which none is true.

Last edited:
@Twinz So if someone plugged the EPS pin incorrectly and result in the motherboard and CPU to fry, do we equally call the EPS connector to be faulty in design??

You are based on the fact that you think only thing goes wrong in a pc build is the 12VHPWR. It is not the fact or the reality. What you seeing is just Reddit. the squeakest wheel etc.

Do you think someone who is dumb enough to plug RAM wrong way round and end up recking them would post it online to show their stupidity? Do you think someone who tried to force PCIE express devices into old PCI format slots and end up destroying everything would post online about their experiences? Do you think someone who slot in PGA CPUs wrong way round and end up destroying the entire system would post such incident? Someone plug molex/8pin wrong way round etc etc?

I am sure all of the above will and have happened as I have seen some pc with such incidents in real life but you don’t see them in Reddit. By that, do we say everything in the Pc connection is wrong cos it cannot stop user being absolute morons?!

What you proposing or suggesting is just so narrow and based on 0 evidential deduction.

You are assuming humans don’t make mistakes and they are able to do repeated workload with 100% accuracy and 100% repeatability; that they are able to assimilate instruction perfectly and that they read instruction before starting and that they are able spot errors in their own work with 100% probability…which none is true.

I'm sure people make errors with every single connector in a PC.

In the case of the 4090's adapter, we have a good way to gauge the frequency / likelihood of (catastrophic) error between the two connectors on this adapter. We need only assume that individual users are responsible for plugging in all the connectors on the adapter.

Regarding the adapters that come with the 4090's, the 12VHPWR connector is currently far more likely to end up melted on reddit than the PCIe connector.

One connector on the 4090's adapter seems to lend itself to catastrophic human error far more than the other.

Last edited:
The issue is user error and probably averages litteraly 1 melt per country sold, I can't believe people are still trying to make this seem like a huge deal.
OK I picked 50 countries sold out of thin air, but you get my point.

I'm sure people make errors with every single connector in a PC.

In the case of the 4090's adapter, we have a good way to gauge the frequency / likelihood of (catastrophic) error between the two connectors on this adapter. We need only assume that individual users are responsible for plugging in all the connectors on the adapter.

Regarding the adapters that come with the 4090's, the 12VHPWR connector is currently far more likely to end up melted on reddit than the PCIe connector.

One connector on the 4090's adapter seems to lend itself to catastrophic human error far more than the other.
0.04% is quite a low probability in all fairness.

When PGA/LGA CPU sockets were introduced I am sure the user error rate were equally high.

I remember those pentium slot CPUs which were prone to be installed wrong way round and I made mistake of installing one wrong way round and corrected before power on. Even in those days it doesn’t stop people from doing things wrong.

User error primarily caused by people don’t read instructions or think they are working with something that they are familiar with and therefore they think they know what they are doing or what they have done is correct.

You just need to accept that there will be a % of population who will get things wrong.

As I have repeated pointed out that Pcie8 GPUs are frequently shown to be destroyed or burnt up by user errors in many forms and not plugging the power connector is one of the causes amongst many.

Last edited:
People are making out like Gamers Nexus didn’t mention “poor design” and “foreign debris”. All that everyone is saying is “user error” “people are stupid”. In actual fact this shouldn’t be melting if not in properly, it just shouldn’t work. Simple.

100% all of these have happened ahaha

I've seen tons of posts online of people bending pins on their cpu and motherboard, people ripping PCIE slots off their motherboard, bending pins on cables, putting ram in wrong, blowing up their rgb lights by connecting them to 12v instead of 5v etc people incorrectly install pc components all the time - it's why the entire idea of what the inside of a PC is should change; we don't expect users to wire up cables in their phones, TVs, cameras etc. installing PC parts needs to b come far more user friendly and modular

Last edited:
modular design would be nice but i think that will stifle competition and innovation.

Furthermore it means a unified standard with a gate keeper of that standard. And that is basically monopoly which is going to hurt consumer overall.

0.04% is quite a low probability in all fairness.

Whatever the percentage, on these adapters, the rate of catastrophic user error that ends up on reddit has proven to be higher for the 12VHPWR than for the PCIe adapter.

Every one of these adapter gives users the opportunity to make a mistake with both types of adapters. Users actually get more chances to screw up the PCIe side because there are 3 or 4 PCIe connectors on every adapter vs 1 12VHPWR connector.

If PCIe connectors were as prone to catastrophic user error as the 12VHPWR, then we should have seen 3 to 4 times as many melted PCIe connectors on reddit.

Only one end of this adapter got a megathread.

One end of this adapter is more prone to catastrophic user error than the other.

Even if the likelihood of such errors is low for both ends of the adapter, one is demonstrably lower than the other.

How old is Reddit. Lol

This forum is over 12yrs old. Just search for bent pin in CPU subsection, I can guarantee there are hundreds or even in the thousands of individual cases. That’s ONE forum in one country.

What you are using to form your argument is so narrow and selective, it borderline dogmatic and certainly do not wash in legal or investigative deduction.

Also is Reddit now the barometer for justice and what’s right and wrong what’s correct and incorrect. No thank you I would say.

Mod mentality doesn’t mean the mob is right…

Last edited:
GPU-Z has been updated and now includes 16 pin cable monitoring.

The software can't tell you if you plugged the cable in wrong, but what it can do is measure and report distribution of current and voltage across the connector which may help to alert you if the connector suddenly encounters high resistance

People are making out like Gamers Nexus didn’t mention “poor design” and “foreign debris”. All that everyone is saying is “user error” “people are stupid”. In actual fact this shouldn’t be melting if not in properly, it just shouldn’t work. Simple.
That's not the fault of the spec. It's the fault of the nvidia adaptor. It does not fit properly on some cards. Custom cables are very easy to insert.

I saw a car on the hard shoulder fire on the motorway, wasn't in any crash just something that happens to petrol cars. It also set the field on fire that it was next to btw. Not on the news, nothing.

1 Tesla catches on fire and the whole world hears about it :)

When new things happen it called news, they tried to start a 24 hours olds channel but it was boring.

Yes, Me for starters!!!

And I dare anyone who has ever built a PC to claim they have never got anything wrong.

The connector should be engineered to not work if not installed correctly.

Can you name a power cable which doesn't work if it's inserted 3 quarters of the way in?

Back
Top Bottom