• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

The fact that people think that 50 is ok, is dumb. The gpu should not power on with how far out GN had it not plugged in before it started melting. That is a design fault, not just user error, but yet, because its ONLY 50 Nvidia gets a pass?
It's not dumb, just a matter of opinion. If I had managed to melt my adaptor by not plugging it in correctly, that's on me. I was taught that you must be very careful when playing with electronics, a basic being to ensure everything is seated properly. At what point do we draw the line in dumbing down to cater for the 50/125000?
So many people have jumped on the GPU bandwagon the last couple of years, i suspect some are jumping into a hobby that they are still learning basics, making a mistake and not wanting to take responsibility. I never saw anyone from this forum melt theirs as the majority are working with at least the basic knowledge.

Let’s not forget all the fear mongering, cablemod salesmen, YouTubers, class action lawsuits, the list goes on…
Literally fifty odd people out of over a hundred thousand didn’t plug it in right, I wonder how much revenue these YouTube and cable people have made off of this.

I bought the Corsair cable for mine, £25 well spent for clean management, had it ordered from day one before meltgate. But I imagine lots who would happily use the adapter in an enclosed case have purchased something they maybe wouldn’t have.

haha lol yes.. i had a similar argument the other day in this thread perhaps..
i was comparing a 45 EUR cablemod cable to a 190 EUR 850W ATX 3 PSU that comes with its own set of cables as a benchmark to demonstrate how the price of the cable doesnt justify its value and one shouldnt purchase it simply for the connector burn issues, the incidence rates were insignificant and then the investigation hadnt even been concluded. also nvidia were extremely generous with RMAs related to burned connectors
i would also say that i had a strong intuition abt this being a connector mating issue, and not something inherently wrong with the adapter, which i have maintained to be the case throughout my exchanges despite whatever igor or GN said
but logic isnt a strong point especially for someone who is wearing amd red shades.. its just laughable the other day someone was talking about how ROCm can compete with CUDA

Last edited:
The fact that people think that 50 is ok, is dumb. The gpu should not power on with how far out GN had it not plugged in before it started melting. That is a design fault, not just user error, but yet, because its ONLY 50 Nvidia gets a pass?

They're not getting a pass. They've said they will replace them.

What do you want NVIDIA to do? Stop all 40 series GPU production and close down the company because some users didn't push the cable in all the way?

They've said they will replace the GPUs with expedited RMAs and they'll do it regardless of cable used via GN's video.

Or do you just want this debate and drama to drag on and on forever?

They've taken a step forwards in adopting a new power pin cable adaptor. It has to happen. This a very mild teething problem which they're willing to rectify with replacements for those who didn't know they have to seat the cable in all the way (duh).

Every product has a failure rate too btw. 50 out of the god knows how many sold is very low; especially given its actually user error. I can put a 3pin cable not all the way into my power supply or gaming console and it turns on FYI.

Last edited:
It's not dumb, just a matter of opinion. If I had managed to melt my adaptor by not plugging it in correctly, that's on me. I was taught that you must be very careful when playing with electronics, a basic being to ensure everything is seated properly. At what point do we draw the line in dumbing down to cater for the 50/125000?
So many people have jumped on the GPU bandwagon the last couple of years, i suspect some are jumping into a hobby that they are still learning basics, making a mistake and not wanting to take responsibility. I never saw anyone from this forum melt theirs as the majority are working with at least the basic knowledge.

I agree with you. Can't dumb down everything so that even those with sub 50 IQ will be safe, just not possible.

Using some people's logic, knives should not be sold as some people may injure themselves (or worse), due to user error. Or those you see taking chainsaws up ladders, stretching right at the top to reach some branch, then maiming themselves when they drop it etc.

Nvidia's handling of this has been okay to me.

The connector itself seems to require more force and attention than any other connector in a PC build, but at least it's safe to use with those caveats.

Shortening the sense pins and changing the mode of failure to no-boot, instead of melt-down, will be a nice improvement to the design if that change gets implimented.

The 4090 is back on my shopping list. I still may wait and see if the XTX can do the job for me though.

Last edited:
i would be swapping a 1700 with 5800x3d.. interested in what you wrote there, whats the ideal method to take out the cpu? i am on asrock x370 killer sli/ac. thanks

Ideally the machine is still bootable so you can warm it up first. You then undo the latches and just gently tug vertically upwards and be prepared to just hold the pressure for a while until it softens. Not to great as you hear of people just as often pulling the chip out through the clasp still attached to the heatsink. Hence why all the 'conventional wisdom' posts here tell you to twist. If its not bootable it would be hair dryer time to warm it slightly I guess if you think you are risking too much force.

The fact people can't plug in a connector is the reason we have "DO NOT DRINK!" labels on bleech

You can visibly see its not plugged in fully... even a blind person could feel the connector and determine it's only half plugged in.

Sending a plug to gamersnexus thats got a halfway plugged in mark on it.., I'd be embarrassed to be that guy

Last edited:
haha lol yes.. i had a similar argument the other day in this thread perhaps..
i was comparing a 45 EUR cablemod cable to a 190 EUR 850W ATX 3 PSU that comes with its own set of cables as a benchmark to demonstrate how the price of the cable doesnt justify its value and one shouldnt purchase it simply for the connector burn issues, the incidence rates were insignificant and then the investigation hadnt even been concluded. also nvidia were extremely generous with RMAs related to burned connectors
i would also say that i had a strong intuition abt this being a connector mating issue, and not something inherently wrong with the adapter, which i have maintained to be the case throughout my exchanges despite whatever igor or GN said
but logic isnt a strong point especially for someone who is wearing amd red shades.. its just laughable the other day someone was talking about how ROCm can compete with CUDA

I ordered a CableMod 4 x PCIE to 12VHPWR partly as a precaution to “cablegate” but mainly to tidy up the clutter of PCIE cables that I now have with my 4090FE.

It’s messing with my air flow, man!

I’ll end up with an ATX3 PSU next time I build a new PC, I don’t need one yet.

they could also show a picture of one plugged in fully and one not and give detailed instructions, how do these people cope with ikea furniture

Funny how these same people weren't posting pics of any other connectors in their build melting down.

Odd how they somehow only melted that particular connector.

Maybe all the other connectors came with these pictures you are recommending, or maybe for some reason, none of the other connectors require so much force and attention.

I think it's funny that we are now telling people to brute-force connectors that are supposed to fit together as if it's always been best practice to "just push harder" with expensive electronic components.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that we are now telling people to brute-force connectors that are supposed to fit together as if it's always been best practice to "just push harder" with expensive electronic components.
you don’t have the card and never fitted the connector how do you know it is brute force?

There are plenty people on this forum and on this thread alone stated that it wasn’t hard to click in the connector and that they have fully inserted the connector.

Only 50 cases globally has melted connector - that seems to correlate to idiocy rather than any defect or flaws

Plenty pcie8 connectors I have done in the past require that extra push to get the clips to click in. That was never BRUTE force. As GN said, it is a bit more what you expect but no way such force would break anything.

Ultimately it boils down to people not being careful and some level being naive. The whole bit from GN showing how to connect this connector, do you really think Steve put this in as some kind of guidance. Knowing him, he probably face palmed at the suggestion that he should do a how to guide on how to “correctly” connect a connector.

Making sure a connection is connected properly is a user requirement and user liability. 125000 users connected them ok but these 50 didn’t - what does that tell you.

Last edited:
you don’t have the card and never fitted the connector how do you know it is brute force?

There are plenty people on this forum and on this thread alone stated that it wasn’t hard to click in the connector and that they have fully inserted the connector.

Only 50 cases globally has melted connector - that seems to correlate to idiocy rather than any defect or flaws

Plenty pcie8 connectors I have done in the past require that extra push to get the clips to click in. That was never BRUTE force. As GN said, it is a bit more what you expect but no way such force would break anything.

Ultimately it boils down to people not being careful and some level being naive. The whole bit from GN showing how to connect this connector, do you really think Steve put this in as some kind of guidance. Knowing him, he probably face palmed at the suggestion that he should do a how to guide on how to “correctly” connect a connector.

Making sure a connection is connected properly is a user requirement and user liability. 125000 users connected them ok but these 50 didn’t - what does that tell you.
@Twinz I did not hear a click on mine as well which is why I avoided using it as much as possible for demanding games until I got the Cablemod which had an audible click and inserted quite easily. If its not clicking and your card is working fine for weeks, its still a risk over the long term.

It would seem that is variance from one connector to the next.

That or maybe you Shaz12 suddenly learned how to plug in a connector when he grasped the cabelmod connector?

Cablemod connector? Easy to insert and audible click. As a connector should be, by the way.

The adapter that came with Shaz12's 4090? Not so much.

Last edited:
Maybe all the other connectors came with these pictures you are recommending, or maybe for some reason, none of the other connectors require so much force and attention.
really? motherboard power takes atleast4x as much force, pcie slot for GPU probably twice as much.

people are just dumb these days.

apparently, we need to make stuff darwin proof now because 50 people out of 125k can't plug something in

Last edited:
really? motherboard power takes atleast4x as much force, pcie slot for GPU probably twice as much.

people are just dumb these days.

apparently, we need to make stuff darwin proof now because 50 people out of 125k can't plug something in

Totally dodging my point.

User error was only resulting in one connector melting in these 4090 builds. You mentioned the 24 pin, so you seem to be aware that these same users were most likely responsible for connecting all the other cables too.

So, in order to overcome the obstruction inside the plug you have to remove the 4090 from the pc. Lay it on a flat, hard, clean surface. Grab your adapter and apply force so that you jam secure the adapter to the connector. Don't worry about damaging the connector on the gpu side. It's working. Now re-install your gpu inside your PC. :eek:

Because this is how it was always done for PCIe cables. :D

And here I thought I would have read something to the effect of;

"By xx-xx-2023 we will have replacement adapters for anyone who is not confident that the included adapters are safe. We value our loyal customers and wouldn't resort to inferring them as stupid. Because we acknowledge the fact that those who had problems with the new adapter didn't have issues with PCIe connectors (we checked our records and there was no PCIe related RMA request from these individuals from prior GPUs). We apologize for any inconvenience caused. And will work diligently to regain your trust as your GPU of choice. We thank you for your patience as we resolve the issue."

Contrasting that from how this turned out from the shilling to the flat out denial that's parroted seems legit. /s

Last edited:
So, in order to overcome the obstruction inside the plug you have to remove the 4090 from the pc. Lay it on a flat, hard, clean surface. Grab your adapter and apply force so that you jam secure the adapter to the connector. Don't worry about damaging the connector on the gpu side. It's working. Now re-install your gpu inside your PC. :eek:

Because this is how it was always done for PCIe cables. :D

And here I thought I would have read something to the effect of;

Contrasting that from how this turned out from the shilling to the flat out denial that's parroted seems legit. /s
nvidia basically turning around and calling end users retards instead of just saying the new cable standard wasnt thought through correctly to ensure a competent fit and that we had a couple of errors in manufacturing which added to the issue.

nope, just those stupid idiots that spent £2k oni a card, its your fault you are dumb

Back
Top Bottom