• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Weird how they're going with redesigning it rather than telling the users they're holding their iphone wrong not plugging the cables in correctly.

Guess if users can stumble into a horrific failure of a product it's just a bad product design.

All that connector does now better prevent the cable from coming out of the gpu when the cable is under tension from bending, it doesn't stop the user from incorrectly inserting the cable AND many of the cables are already using that connector since day one

Glad to see Intel working on improving the connector but I still don’t like it, had to remove my GPU to upgrade my NVMe underneath so had to plug it back in and it still required quite a bit of force to plug it in and you heard the connector very quietly snap into place, any more force and you’d be worrying about snapping that connector of its solder joints.

Compared to the old 8 pin at least with those I could push those in gently with a single finger and every one of those connectors would give a loud snap when it latched on. It’s nice having a smaller single plug but it’s a poorly designed one.

It’s easy to see why some veterans or even new builders would not plug it in fully as the force that can be required is ridiculous, won’t be all GPUs due to manufacturing tolerances on the GPU connector and cables but still more then I’m comfortable with.

Last edited:
Further update to the connector:

"With this revision, Intel ensures safe and reliable performance of its power connectors in a wide range of devices."

And what a load of BS that Intel, with all its resources and expertise, simply couldn't do even a passable job the first time.

Last edited:
I honestly had 0 problems plugging in the adapter to my FE card and also 0 problems using Corsair cable.
Both plugged in without using excessive force and both clicked although very quietly.
I’ve been using thermal camera a few times to see if the plug gets hot and found nothing out of ordinary.

I honestly had 0 problems plugging in the adapter to my FE card and also 0 problems using Corsair cable.
Both plugged in without using excessive force and both clicked although very quietly.
I’ve been using thermal camera a few times to see if the plug gets hot and found nothing out of ordinary.

Same, the Corsair cable seems to be excellent.

Yep, push in, then use finger nails to push in on both sides at the same time on the corners making sure it's secure on all sides... make sure there is no gap anywhere even for a sheet of paper to pass between on the connector/plug and it's all good.

This whole thing reminds me of a saying my dad got from somewhere that I quite like "Most of our species has the brains of poo flinging chimps and the other half doesn't even have that".

Whenever I hear of things that could be easily avoided if common sense and logic were used I remember that saying :D

Last edited:
I think there are tolerance issues.

The adapter that came with my 4090 is poo. It requires neanderthal force and never, ever, clicks.

The Cablemod PSU cable I replaced it with plugs in and clicks with minimal effort.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear of things that could be easily avoided if common sense and logic were used I remember that saying :D

Common sense and logic does not just apply to the consumer and in this instance it should have also applied to those designing the connector and the cards it was going to be used with.

When you are dealing with the general public you have to aim the product at the dumbest amongst us and try to think of what issues may occur. With this connector we had a change from 150W into a single 8 pin to 600W flowing through the same physical size, a x4 increase in power density. With that single change alone you had to make double/triple/quadruple sure that it was idiot proof in every scenario........and then along came Nvidia with the widest PCB in the history of modern gpus and the amazing idea to have it sticking out at right angles with the connector they supplied not being able to be overly bent. With the vast majority of current PC cases this was always going to be an issue and should have been foreseen.

Intel , Nvidia and whoever else was involved in rubber stamping this spec do not get a free pass and blame the end user. If the plug on a Tefal toaster is faulty and burns the house down no one blames the consumer and it is always the manufacturers fault because it is their duty of care to ensure it is fit for purpose.

My cablemod cable still causes black screen 100% fan spin so I took their advice and set maximum power in the Nvidia control panel. However it's no good because it constantly keeps fans at 30% instead of off at idle. So I'm going to arrange rma of cablemod cable and try the corsair one or the default Nvidia one that came with it. Disappointed as this cable cost what it did.

Last edited:
Just an update.. I'm in the process of rma'ing my cablemod cable so was going to use the corsair 12vhpwr cable but changed my mind because the clip that goes into the 4090 is crap. It barely stays plugged in if you tug the cable. So I'm using the Nvidia adapter at moment and it's messy but all seems fine.

I think there are tolerance issues.

The adapter that came with my 4090 is poo. It requires neanderthal force and never, ever, clicks.

The Cablemod PSU cable I replaced it with plugs in and clicks with minimal effort.
Exactly the case with mine too, but gladly Corsair one works great. Not that I was happy to spend more on a cable that should've been proper in the box in the first place.

Just an update.. I'm in the process of rma'ing my cablemod cable so was going to use the corsair 12vhpwr cable but changed my mind because the clip that goes into the 4090 is ****. It barely stays plugged in if you tug the cable. So I'm using the Nvidia adapter at moment and it's messy but all seems fine.
My corsair cable also leaves tiny gap when bent but it doesn’t heat up at all as I tested it with thermal camera.

8-CE69-FD8-5027-4-D40-8-B9-E-F254765-E9-BC6.jpg

A37-CC7-B9-76-D4-4-DE9-80-C7-7-FEFDBA33717.jpg

5-CDA7-E4-B-C270-4-DC2-B0-FF-BA2-D42-BD29-F9.jpg

06-A102-A7-16-A4-4-D47-B15-D-A7-D530218-CEF.jpg

Back
Top Bottom