• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

All those cards were sent to Northridge Fix by Cablemod, accumulated over months. They weren't sent in by random customers experiencing the burning issue

Yes, I saw that and it was very commendable of Cablemod to do what they did. However, why did the owners of the GPUs send it to Cablemod and not the GPU manufacturer for RMA? Can we then ascertain that the many GPUs that were sent to Northridge by Cablemod had one thing in common - they used Cablemod cables or adaptors? Do Cablemod use lesser quality inferior connectors? Perhaps some PSU manufacturers have the same issue.

I've had my Inno 4090 since launch and not had any issues with the connector since day 1, Have used now totalling 3 different cables and have plugged and unplugged numerous times already.

I do not believe this is a manufacturing defect as it would have happened to thousands of cards.

Something is at play whether it's mostly user error not connecting properly, Faulty cables that don't have their pins seated properly and are half and half making contact or people pushing the power target and overclocking as much as possible.

Maybe it's the cards that go over 450w are the ones that are burning and users are not admitting they have pushed 600w through them.

I know the connector is rated at 600w but I wouldn't like to run anymore than 450w through mine even if I could.

Many reasons there.

Afew things to consider from the Northridge Fix video:
1) He shows the adapter is fully installed and it's on his bench because the connector will not budge.
2) He mentions that only the side that connects to the card is melted on the group of cards.
3) He seems to have seen and fixed enough broken stuff to have a decent understanding of failure modes, and this mode of failure sounds different from the other series (generations) of GPU's he's worked with.

Just as with the adapters that Nvidia ships with the cards, only one end seems to be failing in this catastrophic method. Users plug in both ends, but it's only the end that plugs into the card that end-users keep screwing up? Serriously?

-Same goes for the fact that Cable Mod collected a batch of these....Cable mod is responsible for the whole 90 degree adapter....both ends, but it's the end that goes into the card that melts.

Last edited:

At the 1:00 mark, cable fully inserted and locked....then easily wiggled out anyway.

This is the PSU side, but it illustrates that "just plug it in properly" doesn't work when the connnector is poorly built. The aftermath of a melted plug would show the same "line" that GN used to "prove" user error.

Last edited:
Well I've got the new cable in and so far it's been perfect. No crash and 100% fan spin and I've deliberately left it idling where it would happen with the old cable. Saying that I can't remember if the old one just developed the problem after a period of time. But so far so good. :)
Hello. With several months of use, the cablemod replacement cable fixed the black screen problem?
I have a 4090 strix that gives black screens only in IDLE (in gaming it always works perfectly) and sometimes the screen turns black and the fans of the Case (the vga one remains at 0 rpm) spin at 100%.
So I have to restart the computer.
I think it could be a cablemod cable problem. I am using a 12vhpwr cable and a cablemod adapter.
Never test VGA with nvidia incendiary adapter

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello. With several months of use, the cablemod replacement cable fixed the black screen problem?
I have a 4090 strix that gives black screens only in IDLE (in gaming it always works perfectly) and sometimes the screen turns black and the fans of the Case (the vga one remains at 0 rpm) spin at 100%.
So I have to restart the computer.
I think it could be a cablemod cable problem. I am using a 12vhpwr cable and a cablemod adapter.
Never test VGA with nvidia incendiary adapter

Thank you.
Hi, my replacement cable I was sent has been perfect. No blackscreen no 100% fan spin. So I recommend you contact them and arrange rma.

Last edited:
Hi, my replacement cable I was sent has been perfect. No blackscreen no 100% fan spin. So I recommend you contact them and arrange rma.

Hello. Thank you very much for your answer.
They offered to send me a replacement cable and 90 degree adapter. I haven't answered you yet because I'm doing tests to try to identify what the problem is (if the adapter, the cable or the VGA).
I am pretty clueless and very frustrated spending a lot of money and having this problem.
My problem is similar to that of many people, but it is not the same: in gaming, with the card at 550w, everything worked perfectly.

In IDLE I tried 2 scenarios:
1) 12vhpwr cable (cablemod) + 90 degree adapter (cablemod): randomly, the video signal is lost and black screen. So I restart the pc and the video signal comes back.
In this case note what always happens after closing the game. At all other times, it is completely random.
The difference I have compared to many people is that the screen stays black but the vga fans remain unturned and the case fans remain normal. On other occasions, the case fans spin 100%, but the vga fans never spin 100%.

2) 90 degree adapter (cablemod) + 12vhpwr NVIDIA cable:
Half an hour ago I tried this configuration, at certain times in Windows, the screen turned on and off 3 times in a row. On another occasion, the screen turned off but seconds later it turned on.
In these few minutes, the screen never went totally black.

It could be a problem with the cables or a faulty VGA.
It's very frustrating....

For me the black screens and 100% GPU fans was 100% the Cablemod cable.

They sent a replacement but I have actually thrown it in the trash now since using the Seasonic 12VHPWR cable that came with my Vertex been over 3 months and not 1 single issue.

Also In my opinion I would avoid those adaptors, Not only they can cause the black screens they seem to be the main culprit of a connector burning up case popping up on Reddit almost daily.

Just to add here is 1 fresh example of Cablemods cable with a loose disconnected sense wire.

If you ask me their QC is rubbish, You don't see this amount of failure rate on any other half decent cables or products.

I mentioned on Reddit months ago how much more thicker and solid the sense wires look on my Seasonic cable compared to the flimsy sense wires on the Cablemod Cablemod cable.

If anyone has one they will know exactly what I mean.

Last edited:
For me the black screens and 100% GPU fans was 100% the Cablemod cable.

They sent a replacement but I have actually thrown it in the trash now since using the Seasonic 12VHPWR cable that came with my Vertex been over 3 months and not 1 single issue.

Also In my opinion I would avoid those adaptors, Not only they can cause the black screens they seem to be the main culprit of a connector burning up case popping up on Reddit almost daily.

Just to add here is 1 fresh example of Cablemods cable with a loose disconnected sense wire.

If you ask me their QC is rubbish, You don't see this amount of failure rate on any other half decent cables or products.

I mentioned on Reddit months ago how much more thicker and solid the sense wires look on my Seasonic cable compared to the flimsy sense wires on the Cablemod Cablemod cable.

If anyone has one they will know exactly what I mean.
I been looking at a new power supply for a 4090, what PS you got, thx

I been looking at a new power supply for a 4090, what PS you got, thx
I'm a fan of Seasonics PSUs and I do have the Vertex GX 1000 which I've had for around 3 months with 0 issues, No black screens and no melting connectors using Seasonics cable.

Incidentally yet another one has popped up another 90b adaptor from Cablemod burnt his Msi Suprim.

Stay away from these adaptors they are killing the cards one by one.

I’ve been having the black screen and 100% fans since a few weeks after fitting a cablemods to my 4090, and usually just unplug it and reseat then it’s ok for a month, then it happens again.
What’s a decent replacement for it (I do want a pretty braided cable one, and one that goes straight to the PSU).

I’ve been having the black screen and 100% fans since a few weeks after fitting a cablemods to my 4090, and usually just unplug it and reseat then it’s ok for a month, then it happens again.
What’s a decent replacement for it (I do want a pretty braided cable one, and one that goes straight to the PSU).

If your PSU is a Corsair Type 4 then their lead will plug directly into your PSU.

Mate of mine didn't have the adapter but he did have a direct to PSU CableMod 4x8 pin to 12VHPWR, It was fully seated, Not even an atoms gap between the connector and socket and it melted.
That is rare these days, Looking at the Cablemod Reddit it all but seems like these adaptors are melting with 1 first case melting direct from an ATX 3.0 PSU socket, No one knows whether that was seated correctly or not as the only image floating around is after it had been removed which imo is already suspicious.

That is rare these days, Looking at the Cablemod Reddit it all but seems like these adaptors are melting with 1 first case melting direct from an ATX 3.0 PSU socket, No one knows whether that was seated correctly or not as the only image floating around is after it had been removed which imo is already suspicious.

The adapter melting at the ATX 3.0 PSU socket was already analyzed by the feller who runs Cybanetics i.e the insanely indepth PSU rating company. He put 700+ watts through the connector with the same PSU and the PSU side remained around 26'c with no melting so it looks like user error.

As for my mates melting cable, It was likely just a faulty cable.

Back
Top Bottom