• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

The adapter melting at the ATX 3.0 PSU socket was already analyzed by the feller who runs Cybanetics i.e the insanely indepth PSU rating company. He put 700+ watts through the connector with the same PSU and the PSU side remained around 26'c with no melting so it looks like user error.

As for my mates melting cable, It was likely just a faulty cable.

Yeah I thought I'd seen somewhere that someone tested with the same PSU and pushed way more through it than what this that user did.

This is the issue there are so many now trying to make claims when it is actually there fault, Not there fault in the sense because of the design of the latching system but because it's clicked and they continue to cable manage it moves and that's that, Easy done and the Cablemod adaptors from what I saw on Reddit and on the new J2C video showing how easy they move is ridiculous, My Seasonic cable needs some force to remove it after it is inserted fully and clicked it seems to me those adaptors connectors are not made to the same tolerance as PSU cable connectors from what I can gather.

Be aware guys that Cablemod is actively banning people on their Reddit for ill talking about their adaptor me included lol and I know lots of others also.

They have now stopped paying for people's burnt GPUs through their adaptors and are instead repairing them and sending them back to the user this will obviously void the rest of your warranty for other failures on the GPU in the future should something go wrong once they notice resoldered connectors.

It was inevitable as Jayz 2 C said in a recent video of how long they can continue to replace users GPUs because of their dodgy adaptors and I knew this all along.

Just a heads up thought I'd let people know as at the end of the day these are expensive products and through some cheap adaptor they are killing cards, Imo these should be pulled from the market before someone's house sets on fire.

They were always ridiculous, and they are straight shipped from China. crap that probably cost less than 2$ per cable.
I bet you can find the exact same cable on ali for 5$ shipped & made by the same company cablemod are using for drop shipping
as I said about cablemod..

The way they were spamming reddit around the time this was happening and convincing everyone they need to buy their cable put me straight off them.

Last edited:
as I said about cablemod..

The way they were spamming reddit around the time this was happening and convincing everyone they need to buy their cable put me straight off them.
They literally spam every post trying to come up with some crappy excuse for their toy adaptors that just cannot handle these wattages.

First it's been designed to wiggle and be loose haha, Like ok lets have a loose connection at 500w lol.

Then keep spamming about the black screen issue with we have a patented fix coming up since about 6 months ago, How about they use high quality terminals and plastic instead of some crappy low current terminals, There is a reason Seasonic state on their 12VHPWR cables that they're high current terminals and 90v plastic material simply because of the wattages these 4090s can pump out.

I know someone here who purchased theirs through OCUK with an adaptor melted, These adaptors need investigating by some safety organisation they're not fit for sale.

Be aware guys that Cablemod is actively banning people on their Reddit for ill talking about their adaptor me included lol and I know lots of others also.

They have now stopped paying for people's burnt GPUs through their adaptors and are instead repairing them and sending them back to the user this will obviously void the rest of your warranty for other failures on the GPU in the future should something go wrong once they notice resoldered connectors.

It was inevitable as Jayz 2 C said in a recent video of how long they can continue to replace users GPUs because of their dodgy adaptors and I knew this all along.

Just a heads up thought I'd let people know as at the end of the day these are expensive products and through some cheap adaptor they are killing cards, Imo these should be pulled from the market before someone's house sets on fire.

I'm using the 12VHPWR cable that comes with my Corsair PSU and to neaten up the look I used a length of dark cable wrap. I'm not risking my card for a vastly over priced cheapy cable, CableMod can do one.

Last edited:
I'm using the 12VHPWR cable that comes with my Corsair PSU and to neaten up the look I used a length of dark cable wrap. I'm not risking my card for a vastly over priced cheapy cable, CableMod can do one.
Don't blame you, My build is white but I'm sticking with Seasonics 12VHPWR cable direct to PSU it's black but like you I'm not risking it and yes it's overpriced crap produced in China.

The only Cablemod product (Aside from a vertical riser in the past ) I've owned and that was 16 pin 12VHPWR cable to 3 X PCIE for my older Seasonic before I got the ATX 3.0 version and that Cablemod cable started giving me black screens and GPU fans ramping up to 100% and locking my PC up.

Don't care what anyone says they're no better than the cheapo cables, Just because they look good on the outside doesn't mean the most important part of the cable and connectors are as good as OEM because they clearly are not, My sense wires on my Seasonic are far more robust and thicker than those flimsy one's on their cables and my terminals are a gold colour which I'm guessing is the gold plating for the HCS terminals needed to properly transfer the heat and current away from these connectors.

Will not purchase anything from them again.

Been really happy with my cablemod cables, I use the extension ones, the cablemod 12VHPWR has been powering my 4090 24/7 since it launched without any issues so far. All power is being supplied by cablemod mod extensions and have no issues even after 3yrs of use non stop use. No issues here buying them again.

Been really happy with my cablemod cables, I use the extension ones, the cablemod 12VHPWR has been powering my 4090 24/7 since it launched without any issues so far. All power is being supplied by cablemod mod extensions and have no issues even after 3yrs of use non stop use. No issues here buying them again.

Same here tbh. I have used their extension cables for years without issue, for me this is more an issue with Nvidia and the inadequate connector design, although admittedly I wouldn't touch those 90/180 degree adaptors with a barge pole.

Personally I don't want to gamble £1600 on a £40 cable, There's simply too many daily meltings happening even with people who plugged it in fully seated.

It's not to say their cables don't work I just think the quality is not up to OEM standards especially with the newer 12VHPWR cables and their sense cables seem loose at least they were on the cable I chucked in the bin.

The adaptors are a joke and remind of something I would cobble together for a kids toy and not something that can consume 600w, It's no surprise there is almost 2 cases a day and has been since the adaptors released on their Reddit which are the ones we know about and people post, That won't be all the cases that just go straight to support.

Same here tbh. I have used their extension cables for years without issue, for me this is more an issue with Nvidia and the inadequate connector design, although admittedly I wouldn't touch those 90/180 degree adaptors with a barge pole.
The adaptors tiny PCB looks like something that powers a kids toy, It's no surprise they're the hotspot of the whole link from PSU to GPU hence why only them are melting.

Oh dear both ATX 3.0 PSUs and 12VHPWR connectors will be short lived by 1 generation. Next generation RTX 5000 series probably will be the first GPU to use PCI Express 6.0 with brand new 12V-2x6 connector that will replace 12VHPWR connector. Next generation ATX 3.1 PSUs will use PCI Express 6.0 12V-2x6 connector, current PSUs will need to buy 12V-2x6 power adapter to power next generation GPUs with 12V-2x6 connector.

Reactions: str
I thought the same when i first read the headline but it's backwards compatible so mechanically it's the same, it just changes what's available on the sense pins.

e: Oh, they changed the wording of the article from when i first read it, i swear it mentioned backwards compatible before and said there wasn't mechanical changes. Now it says "The new connector doesn't appear to have any major physical changes though, but there have been mechanical modifications, such as..." :confused:

Either way it seems like it should be backwards/forwards compatible as it only really makes changes to the sense pin location and capabilities.

Last edited:
Hopefully PSU manufacturers will release cables for ATX 3.0 owners to buy. I know Corsair uses their own proprietary connectors on the PSU side so it shouldn't be a problem for existing ATX3 PSU's.

EDIT

Looks like some PSU's are already labelled 12V2x6 like MSI's MAG R850GL -

YTZEaBc.png

Last edited:
My HX1000i doesn't have ATX3, just 2x PCIe outputs going into the Corsair 12VHPWR cable - Seems all fine?

Edit* Looks like going by the above I can just get the new PCIE 6.0 cable for the PSU if/when I next upgrade GPU :p

Just for peace of mind I probably will end up selling the 4090 and getting a 5080 for the better connector standard.

Last edited:
My HX1000i doesn't have ATX3, just 2x PCIe outputs going into the Corsair 12VHPWR cable - Seems all fine?

If it's working and nothing's melting then it should be fine but I have an inkling Nvidia will release a refresh of current GPU's, Could be bumped specs, Super 60/70/80/90 maybe ? With the updated connector or maybe just cards with the updated connector.

Last edited:
Got the Corsair cable coming today as I’m thoroughly fed up of the crappy cablemods causing black screen and fan problems.
It was the case that I could reseat it and it’d be ok for a bit, but now it causing havoc.
I’ve the same PSU as mrk, so good to hear it’s all good.

I suppose if my connector remains fine on the 4090 then there's no need to change anything lol. I rarely see the GPU go above 350 watts anyway since it's at 80% power limit in MSIAB, but even still, the Corsair cable is rated to 600W so I would not expect there to be any issues long term anyway. I just want to avoid faff hence getting the Corsair cable from day 1!

I'm waiting for an up-to-date PSU to be released. A couple of times recently I was about to buy Corsair 12VHPWR cables at £25 each but I doubted it was the right decision and couldn't pull the trigger. Good looking cabling can wait. :D

Back
Top Bottom