• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Sure the last one was grand, it was all user error...now they're fixing it....strange....
Fixing what? A slight revision to the connector by chamfering the pins to make it easier for people to connect? That is user error lol.

No all jokes aside, Head over to Cablemods Reddit and the truth is all starting to come out, Apparently Cablemod have not been using NTK terminals which were recommended and I mentioned this weeks ago about companies that mass produce small cheap products will cost save somewhere and this could explain all the melting adaptors.

Glad I chucked my aesthetics out of the window for safety by sticking with Seasonics direct cable.

Also apparently Cablemod is working on custom terminals, So you have to ask yourself why what cheap rubbish have they been using.

Lets be honest these companies don't like to throw each other under a bus, Nvidia won't blame Cablemod ( Even though in their latest emails to customers they have been suggesting to use their cable only and not the adaptors ) And Cablemod won't blame Nvidia or third parties, It leaves a musty smell on relationships going forward.

Once enough users err with a given part, the part itself needs to be revised.

This connector needed a revision and I'm glad to see it getting one.
It's definitely good it's getting done but there's not much to it as I expected, The main one which I thought would 99% get done was the shortening of the sense pins to force people to connect their cable properly or it won't boot but these Cablemod adaptors melting are whole new beast and unless Cablemod revise their spec for the adaptor no amount of PCI SIG or Nvidia tweaking their connector is going to fix Cablemods smouldering adaptors.

There's a 3x pin one they do? Mine is 16 pin to 2x 8 pin! (type 4 600W spec)

Nah it's 2x8 I miss typed. Doesn't need to be more the cable can do 600w if it's connected to a Corsair PSU, I think they restrict it to under 600w if the PSU wattage caps is too low or it's not a Corsair psu

Looks like Nvidia is making another new cable. They working on a new version of the 16 pin which works more like two seperate 8 pins and this new connection is rated for 675w

Last edited:
45vlaYb.png

Seems some 4070 FE already use the new cable revision:

Also reports by TPU (using Igor as the source):

Not that they are admitting they had done anything wrong (but then they never did admit to the solder defects aka bumbgate way back when although they certainly made Charlie person non grata for uncovering it). Looks like a classic Jobs of "you are holding it wrong".

Better late than never, but how are end users meant to be able to tell them apart?
asRWBnH.png

Wonder if mixing the old with the new in some combination will be trouble?
Guess there are only a four possibilities:
  1. old-socket > old plug
  2. old-socket > new plug
  3. new-socket > old plug
  4. new-socket > new plug
The real question remains, what did this bring that a pair of 12Vx8 couldn't provide? It is hardly that these cards are so small that they need a smaller connector.

The real question remains, what did this bring that a pair of 12Vx8 couldn't provide? It is hardly that these cards are so small that they need a smaller connector.

I agree, it seems ridiculous that it's significantly smaller. It seems fragile.

From my research of the PSU specifications it appears the single 12V rail PSU designs are being made obsolete.

Now there are strict requirements with multiple 12V rails so for example a 2000W might have an upgraded 12V rail for the motherboard and SATA devices etc and multiple 12VHPWR rails each with their own connector.

I’m pretty annoyed by this whole saga, although my 4090 FE has been OK so far, I’m more annoyed that I spent a small fortune on a Seasonic Vertex GX 1200 (the most expensive PSU I ever purchased) only now to find out they are superseding the connections.

I can only assume Seasonic won’t update the cables for those who already have purchased a PSU. Which is just great.

Last edited:
I’m pretty annoyed by this whole saga, although my 4090 FE has been OK so far, I’m more annoyed that I spent a small fortune on a Seasonic Vertex GX 1200 (the most expensive PSU I ever purchased) only now to find out they are superseding the connections.

I can only assume Seasonic won’t update the cables for those who already have purchased a PSU. Which is just great.
Well, so much for my "Guess there are only a four possibilities:" earlier.
The PSU side has probably also changed. At least for modular ones (and pretty much 100% of ATX 3.0 1000W+ PSU are going to be modular).
So instead of 2^2, the combinations are more likely to be 2^3 (i.e. 8).

Although painful, I guess you have an ATX 3.0b then - and that after spending a small fortune :(

Still can't help think that this whole unfortunate thing is yet another GPU distraction:
12vhpwr: distract from the fact that halo cards are now in the 600W range.
Upscalers: distract from the fact that the performance of (non-halo) cards has stagnated so let's upscale instead.

Although painful, I guess you have an ATX 3.0b then - and that after spending a small fortune :(

Absolutely ridiculous situation after spending £260 odd on a new PSU of the apparently ‘latest standard’ only to find out they are changing the socket because it’s such a poor design.

The PSU side has probably also changed.

Yeah apparently it is changing on both ends.

The frustrating thing is it’s the same connector on both the PSU and the GPU on my seasonic, unlike some brands which have 8 pin connections on the PSU. The only thing I can imagine mitigating this is perhaps using a couple of the 5x 8 pin plugs on my PSU with an updated cable.

Either way, it’s very frustrating.

I hope Seasonic and others support their customers than have spent so
much with them…

Last edited:

I was going to get the vertex but glad I didn’t in the end and got the be quiet adaptor instead.

Back
Top Bottom