• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
Seasonic replied with some info on billibilli.

Their idea is that bending either pulls the pins out completely or partially and partial loss of contact results in less area for current to pass through and even without these issues the pins are operating very close to their maximum design.

This partial loss of contact can occur on other connectors as well like 6 and 8 pin but those connectors were designed to operate with a large safety margin for error where as the 16 pin connector does not have much room for error

Last edited:
Soldato
Until we see FE cards exibit the same problem i'm going to assume part of the problem is AIB's are allowing the card to draw more power than the FE cards, too much power.
The power connector on the FE comes out of the card at an angle where as AIB ones tend to be at 90 degrees from the PCB, it could just be that as the FE is already at like 45 degrees it's much harder to bend the cables to the point it causes the issue.
The card this happened to the user says he was playing RDR2 and it was drawing about 400W, so its not simply a case of "AIB bad, too much power draw".

Last edited:
Soldato
a few people have asked why this didn't happen on the 3090ti and well apart we can't see in the inside of the cable, they are made by different companies.

The company who made the connector at the end of the cable for the RTX3090ti adaptor was Molex. The company who has made the connector on these new adaptors and cables for the RTX4090 is Amphenol and if you compare the specs you can see the two connectors are not quite the same

For example the Molex connector had a different 4mm pitch and it was rated for 10.5a of current through each pin, the new Amphenol connector has a 3mm pitch and is rated for only 9.5a of current.

So despite looking the same from the outside, they are not.

Last edited:
Soldato
But fear not the community works quickly

Here is a guide on how to build your own high quality 16 pin connector and ditch the cheap crap connector that comes with the 4090 cables

Associate
The company who made the connector at the end of the cable for the RTX3090ti adaptor was Molex. The company who has made the connector on these new adaptors and cables for the RTX4090 is Amphenol and if you compare the specs you can see the two connectors are not quite the same
Do you have a link by any chance? I think you are confusing 12vhpwr with "Nvidia 12 pin" that was on 3090fe. But even then it wasnt Molex Micro fit, it was manufactured by Astron.

Soldato
What do you think their priority was while cable managing. Connection integrity or aesthetics?
What's interseting is that from the few I've seen so far with this issue it looks like they took great care of their cable management.

Yeah, people doing "cable management" bend the living crap out of their cables trying to get them to "look" tidy, I'd say they would be much more likely to have a problem over people who just fit the cables how they fall and leave them like that

my 3080 cables go around the end of the card and then through the motherboard plate and it looks quite tidy, but it only works like that because the FE card has the connector already canted 45 degrees from the PCB instead of 90 degrees perpendicular to the PCB the away AIB's do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom