Chinese cars

If there are steel parts near the aluminium ones they will need to do those.

Unless you take the wings off and look you might not see the bad spots. I had one actually snap near the control arm mounts. Apparently it's a thing on older ones. If it's getting to the 12 year mark, watch out.

Do what? Paint them, they do. They do not do zinc coatings in the automotive space.

Sorry to **** on the parade

But it's worth noting that GWM is now recalling its Ora vehicles. Why? Because due to a design flaw there is a chance the driver gets electrocuted with a high voltage current everytime they pull out the charging cable from the car and if you happened to be using a huge fast charger your remains won't even be recognisable

Last edited:
(ask father xmas for a professional pair of insulated ev mechanic gloves , or, maybe use the ones I've stockpiled from diesel pumps over the years)

e: with the, yet to be ratified, delay of the european rules of origin rule, did wonder how Ursulas planned investigation into chinese ev dumping is coming on

Last edited:

But it's worth noting that GWM is now recalling its Ora vehicles. Why? Because due to a design flaw there is a chance the driver gets electrocuted with a high voltage current everytime they pull out the charging cable from the car and if you happened to be using a huge fast charger your remains won't even be recognisable

Did you actually read the original source for this ‘news’ before posting this bile?

It’s fixed via a software update which for whatever reason can’t be done over the air.

I’m not even sure how one could remove the charging cable without stopping the charge first anyway as the cable should be locked to the car. You basically have to rip the cable out of the car (probably breaking it in the process) for it to be a problem. Some might say that’s a good thing given it’s only people who seem to think it’s funny to try and rip charging cables out of cars who would do that.

Given it’s not an immediate stop sale, it’s very low risk.

Driving any car will be considerably higher risk and probably the riskiest thing you do in a given month and you wouldn’t even bat an eyelid.

I’d recommend this reading, it will help you in life:

Did you actually read the original source for this ‘news’ before posting this bile?

It’s fixed via a software update which for whatever reason can’t be done over the air.

I’m not even sure how one could remove the charging cable without stopping the charge first anyway as the cable should be locked to the car. You basically have to rip the cable out of the car (probably breaking it in the process) for it to be a problem. Some might say that’s a good thing given it’s only people who seem to think it’s funny to try and rip charging cables out of cars who would do that.

Given it’s not an immediate stop sale, it’s very low risk.

Driving any car will be considerably higher risk and probably the riskiest thing you do in a given month and you wouldn’t even bat an eyelid.

I’d recommend this reading, it will help you in life:

What about the asbestos in the cars and the failing brakes, is that also a software update?

Citation needed.

You speak like western cars don’t have issues like spontaneously bursting into flames or other catastrophic problems.

Last edited:

Heres one for you, maybe the software doesnt implement the said locking criteria well enough to allow 'cable should be locked'. Large sensitivity to the word should there...
The controller for the locking mech doesnt have software thats updateable over the air through the telematics module so it needs a physical hardwire connectiion to the diagnosis and firmware update systems.

Hows that for critical thinking.

(ask father xmas for a professional pair of insulated ev mechanic gloves , or, maybe use the ones I've stockpiled from diesel pumps over the years)

e: with the, yet to be ratified, delay of the european rules of origin rule, did wonder how Ursulas planned investigation into chinese ev dumping is coming on

Pope bodge it to the rescue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Heres one for you, maybe the software doesnt implement the said locking criteria well enough to allow 'cable should be locked'. Large sensitivity to the word should there...
The controller for the locking mech doesnt have software thats updateable over the air through the telematics module so it needs a physical hardwire connectiion to the diagnosis and firmware update systems.

Hows that for critical thinking.

Why are you defending that low effort post which isn’t based on reality? Bizarre.

It wasn’t suggesting the issue didn’t need to be fixed, it clearly does.

It was a rebuttal of the bile that was paired alongside it like it’s some kind of fatal flaw that will kill you the moment you unplug the charging cable. It’s clearly not such a critical issue that is high risk.

Well it’s a recall because the cable is live when its unplugged. How many times do you need it explaining. Sure media headlines exaggerate.

I didn’t click as I didn’t want to give the writer the credit of click bait…

Last edited:
Not defending just keeping it objective fact. You were the one who posted the guy to some critical thinking not me.

No smoke without fire. To be fair the safety system on the PP pin means the charger disconnects power without the car having to do anything anyway.

Ill have a go anyway at the science quoted here though.

Slow AC chargers with a common earth ground are frankly more dangerous than the isolated DC charging regardless of the speed.

Well it’s a recall because the cable is live when its unplugged. How many times do you need it explaining. Sure media headlines exaggerate.

I didn’t click as I didn’t want to give the writer the credit of click bait…
At no point did I say it wasn’t a problem that needed fixing.

I didn’t watch the video either, I searched for the original source E.g. the recall notice which sets out the actual issue which is fairly low risk in reality, hence people can still use there cars.

The framing of the post was pure hyperbole, hence it got called out as nonsense.

What’s your problem?

Last edited:
Wasnt the issue with zinc coating (for some reason that reminds me of a job I had where I needed to send data on zinc usage used for galvanising to NSO, but I digress) was that as soon as it was breached it was in effect no better than not adding zinc anyway.
So stone chips, deep scratches, accident repairs etc all breached the zinc and hence created a point where if not repaired properly created rust spots.
Exactly like not zinc coating would have (ie you needed to breach the paint anyway)

I think a lot of the zinc went back to when they were painting cars that were already rusty during manufacturing!

Russian EV prototype :cry:

2-7.jpg

[
yes I'll drop this in too on electrocution protection for dc charging - risks are there just like home ac charging

Electric vehicle with ground fault detecting system​

Abstract​

An electric vehicle incorporates a ground fault detecting system and has first and second ungrounded power supplies. The ground fault detecting system includes a first insulation resistance detector for detecting a first insulation resistance of the first ungrounded power supply with respect to a grounded region of the electric vehicle, and a second insulation resistance detector for detecting a second insulation resistance of the second ungrounded power supply with respect to the grounded region. The first insulation resistance detector and the second insulation resistance detector detect the first insulation resistance and the second insulation resistance at different times, respectively.

]

Back
Top Bottom