Chinese cars

Soldato
ICE or EV there is no need to apply the handbrake when using the auto hold function when sat at the lights. It is literally the same as being sat there with your foot pressed on the brake pedal but with the added advantage that as you pull away it will release once some torque is detected (so you don't roll backwards).
Don't EV's use the motor(s) on hills? I think the i3 does. So cruise up to a stop on a hill, the motor holds it in place. For this reason I use the park brake to save energy, unless I know only going to be there for a few seconds and then just use the throttle to auto-release the handbrake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't EV's use the motor(s) on hills? I think the i3 does. So cruise up to a stop on a hill, the motor holds it in place. For this reason I use the park brake to save energy, unless I know only going to be there for a few seconds and then just use the throttle to auto-release the handbrake.

Park brake is the 'hand brake'... so basically you are saying you do the same thing. Park will apply the park pawl if you have one to the transmission too.

Soldato
As far as I understand it takes a lot of energy to move the motor. Thus it doesn't require energy to hold, more the absence of energy.

For example there are multiple accounts of Tesla's 12v battery failing and thus the main battery not engaging and they have to put the car on skates to move it.

Last edited:
Soldato
In his i3, wouldn't it be more secure to have to manually apply the park-brake, such that when you want to move off, from parking say, any inadvertent touch of accelerator would be OK
(which might move you in unintended direction too)
compared to automatic application and release of the parking brake.

Soldato
For example there are multiple accounts of Tesla's 12v battery failing and thus the main battery not engaging and they have to put the car on skates to move it.

That will be because the parking brake is on and they can’t get the 12v system back on. It’s easier to jack the car up slide a skate under than it is to take the wheel off to manually wind off the rear brake calliper on both sides.

If they can use a jumper pack to get the 12V system back on, they can put the car in neutral and drag it onto the recovery truck with a winch. They may elect to put it on skates anyway because they don’t like to be dragged very far and lock their brakes back on.

Caporegime
No it isn’t. It really isn’t. Never let a good story get in the way of the real world.

Even if things are mined in Africa doesn’t mean it’s done illegally, even for cobalt.
They mine lithium in Cornwall, should we send in the police to check everyone is okay?

You do also realise that Africa is a major global oil supplier? Their operations squeaky clean in Africa, oh wait it’s the total opposite.

Educate yourself on what oil companies like BP have done in the Niger Delta and how they pillaged the habitat and exploited the local population for our gain.
Wrong company for the Niger delta …

Soldato
That will be because the parking brake is on and they can’t get the 12v system back on. It’s easier to jack the car up slide a skate under than it is to take the wheel off to manually wind off the rear brake calliper on both sides.

If they can use a jumper pack to get the 12V system back on, they can put the car in neutral and drag it onto the recovery truck with a winch. They may elect to put it on skates anyway because they don’t like to be dragged very far and lock their brakes back on.
I stand corrected, although if regen is still enabled then it still requires a lot of energy, considering regen stops the car fairly fast.

Soldato
Well if you are going to post in every thread as the expert on everything. At least get the basics right
Hardly. Mixing up two global oil companies who have both spilled a lot of oil in different parts of the world in roughly the same time period is not exactly a catastrophic error, particularly to the substance and the context of that post and what it was responding to….

Associate
OP
A Norwegian guy doing interesting testing/reviews of EVs, by driving a 1000km in Norway:

Between the new 40K quid Tesla 3 and the Chinese EVs like MG and https://gwmora.co.uk/ there's very little space left for the other EV cars. Sure some people will buy a BMW, VW, Jaguar, Fiat, Kia or Mercedes, but most will check the reviews online and on YT before buying and realize that Tesla and the Chinese cars offer far better value.

Too bad Tesla doesn't know what the word privacy means. Anything you do in or around a Tesla will be recorded and sent to Tesla servers (and made available to Tesla employees to enjoy). Park a Tesla in front of your house and same applies to your home.

Back
Top Bottom