Chinese cars

Soldato
So now if you buy an ID3 it has to be shipped all the way from China on a giant, diesel cargo ship. There goes the green credentials :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Talking of the id3 and Chinese produced cars...

That video is incorrect - likely clickbait !

VW are moving ID3 production from Dresden, Germany, to another of their German based factories

The ID.3 will continue to be made at the Zwickau plant, which is Volkswagen's main site in Germany for its ID line of EVs.

Starting this autumn, the ID.3 will also be made at the Wolfsburg plant, "initially only in small numbers," according to news agency DPA. The decision to stop ID.3 production in Dresden is likely related to the start of production in Wolfsburg
Source : https://insideevs.com/news/687291/vw-said-end-id3-production-dresden-factory/

Last edited:
Soldato
That video is incorrect - likely clickbait !

VW are moving ID3 production from Dresden, Germany, to another of their German based factories

Source : https://insideevs.com/news/687291/vw-said-end-id3-production-dresden-factory/
alas that does not surprise me. i used to quite like his videos but the more i watched the more errors i spotted and i must admit i dont bother with his stuff any more.... there are plenty of other more accurate sources - and yes everyone makes mistakes but they need to clearly fess up to it asap after.

that said................ a lot of "european" and "US" car manufacture IS done in China. Even if the specifics are wrong it does not mean he does not have a point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if the body is made in Europe, a lot of the components are made in China, that’s the same for ICE and EV. More so for EV due to battery production.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if the body is made in Europe, a lot of the components are made in China, that’s the same for ICE and EV. More so for EV due to battery production.

Don't forget the part where the battery contents are mined by slaves in Africa. With waste often ending up in lakes and rivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know some people say is dated with how it is designed because of it but it is one of the reasons i really like my ipace.

its nice and practical and what not and plenty of room and storage... but it still very much "feels" like inside a car. i like to think "classic" rather than dated but potato potato i guess (that really does not work in written form!)

Similar. I wasn't fussed on the Eastern offerings so it was Model Y or I Pace. Screen on the Y is cool, everything else is bland - as if a vegan designed the interior for other vegans.

I Pace, I believe, are made in Austria by Magna (quite cool because I love old Jeep Cherokee XJs and the EU models were built there). Majority of energy in Austria is from hydro.

Could argue I Pace is more "green" than a Chinese car manufactured using coal.

Soldato
his memory is better than ours : The Swiss mining giant Glencore .. the “extreme abuse” of children mining cobalt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
I'd thought is was semiconductor rare earths - so LFP for the win.

A bit gutted by the material quality and feel of the VW ID,3,4 & 5
watch the munro hoist videos on the ev6 / id4 - lot's of pretty plastic on the former to attract the customers (all that glitters) - but poorer engineering where they don't look;
drums on rear of id4, but aluminium suspension castings, also surprising.
The ID.3 is weird, the material quality is low rent, the build quality is good
did you get an id3 with the VW dcc then ? I see adaptive suspension as a trump card for heavyweight ev's driving experience (or air)
I'd spend budget where it improves comfort, like real leather seats too, which I value more than adaptive cruise / laser headlights / ambiance lighting - each to their own.

Soldato
laser headlights /
like you said to each their own but i had never driven a car with truly innovative headlights before my current one.

i mean my 350z had good lights, far far better than any other car i had driven but those on my ipace are truly something else. they dont need to be dipped, instead they track oncomming cars and automatically switch parts of the light unit off so as not to dazzle but still give the driver almost full beam vision.

a huge safety improvement. At 1st i was dubious and worried i was just dazzling everyone, but from what i can tell, this isnt the case.

the autoemergency braking and the blind spot warnings are great safety features.......... but these lights i think will almost certainly stop at least as many accidents as those things, and on top of that make night driving much less mentally and physically draining...... well for me at least.

Last edited:
Soldato
did you get an id3 with the VW dcc then ? I see adaptive suspension as a trump card for heavyweight ev's driving experience (or air)
I'd spend budget where it improves comfort, like real leather seats too, which I value more than adaptive cruise / laser headlights / ambiance lighting - each to their own.
Yes, we got the Max trim level, so came with DCC, Pan Roof, Travel Assist, etc.. the only real option was a heat pump (and couldn't find one immediately available with one, so went without).

But what a lot of people don't realise is that cars are getting fatter.. the Basic ID.3 weighs in at 1800kg.. a convertible 420i weighs in at around 1800Kg..

I've done 2000 miles+ in a bog standard ID.3 and the stock suspension is smooth, compliant and controls the body well enough.. DCC is better, or more precisely has a wider range of comfort to sport.. mine spend most of it's time in the 'beyond comfort' comfort setting (i.e. you can go softer than the 'comfort' preset).. but I do whack it in sport if I want to press on..

But for me, I like adaptive suspension, having a choice is great, especially if it has a wide range of adjustment.. The ID.3 certainly has a wider range of adjustment than the BMW X3 we had with adaptive suspension.

And options wise.. Adaptive cruise/travel assist are game changers.. if the car essentially drives itself in stop/start traffic and makes just going with the flow that much easier, then I think it's essential, I never get stressed with traffic in our ID.3, just let it do it's thing and relax.. I even like adaptive LED/Laser headlights, they are very good going down country roads late at night, keeping the edge lit whilst not annoying oncoming traffic etc.. Each to their own..

Last edited:
Soldato
his memory is better than ours : The Swiss mining giant Glencore .. the “extreme abuse” of children mining cobalt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
I'd thought is was semiconductor rare earths - so LFP for the win.

Surely you knew it was colbalt??! Please done use the term 'ours'

Automotive supply chain is far better managed than high volume consumer electronics.

Soldato
I forgot we had to remember stuff you just made up.

Except this is a big issue EV fanatics are trying to sweep under the carpet. Pretty much all of these resources come from very corrupt central Africa...

China run many of the operations and bully the locals when they protest, pay off the local officials to look the other way. That's how they operate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t tar EV fanatics with same brush as the reality of supply chain of the OEMs. Can’t sweep anything under the carpet, just endeavour to be informed and that’s true for both sides of the fence.

Did you ask about the process for your low sulphur road fuel was created when you last filled up with petrol?

Soldato
Except this is a big issue EV fanatics are trying to sweep under the carpet. Pretty much all of these resources come from very corrupt central Africa...

Most of the worlds lithium comes from Australia and Chile.
Cobalt which largely comes from the the DRC is being phased out of use in EV batteries

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the worlds lithium comes from Australia and Chile.
Cobalt which largely comes from the the DRC is being phased out of use in EV batteries

But much of the lithium still comes from Africa and that will grow as demand increases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom