Chinese cars

But much of the lithium still comes from Africa and that will grow as demand increases.
No it isn’t. It really isn’t. Never let a good story get in the way of the real world.

Even if things are mined in Africa doesn’t mean it’s done illegally, even for cobalt.
They mine lithium in Cornwall, should we send in the police to check everyone is okay?

You do also realise that Africa is a major global oil supplier? Their operations squeaky clean in Africa, oh wait it’s the total opposite.

Educate yourself on what oil companies like BP have done in the Niger Delta and how they pillaged the habitat and exploited the local population for our gain.

Last edited:
But much of the lithium still comes from Africa and that will grow as demand increases.
Not really. https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visualizing-the-worlds-largest-lithium-producers/

1f310.svg
World Total
130,000100.0%
RankCountryMine production 2022E (tonnes)Share (%)
1f1e6-1f1fa.svg
Australia
61,00046.9%
1f1e8-1f1f1.svg
Chile
39,00030.0%
1f1e8-1f1f3.svg
China
19,00014.6%
1f1e6-1f1f7.svg
Argentina
6,2004.8%
1f1e7-1f1f7.svg
Brazil
2,2001.7%
1f1ff-1f1fc.svg
Zimbabwe
8000.6%
1f1f5-1f1f9.svg
Portugal
6000.5%
1f1e8-1f1e6.svg
Canada
5000.4%
1f30e.svg
Other countries*
7000.5%

China's government invested 60B USD in EV battery tech. I'd guess the UK government also has billions of pounds in similar innovation budgets, curious what are they being invested in.

BYD EVs are stupidly expensive. And non-existent on British roads.

Volvo EVs are stupidly expensive other than the new Volvo EX30 the top spec one - 41k for a super car level performance and being practical. The entry level is £33k, it’s not exactly affordable but it’s a lot better than most of other offerings on the market such as Niro EV, C4e, Mokka e, 2008 e etc. I think even the smart #1 is ridiculously expensive for what it is which is what the EX30 based on and under cuts it in price and a bit more roomy

MG cheap yes, but build quality isn’t great.

Other Chinese car brands are non-existent in Europe.

They maybe doing well or ok in China or Asia markets due to huge Chinese government subsidy, but the story is different when it comes to international markets.

Last edited:
BYD EVs are stupidly expensive. And non-existent on British roads.

Volvo EVs are stupidly expensive other than the new Volvo EX30 the top spec one - 41k for a super car level performance and being practical. The entry level is £33k, it’s not exactly affordable but it’s a lot better than most of their offerings on the market.

MG cheap yes, but build quality isn’t great.

Other Chinese car brands are non-existent in Europe.

They maybe doing well or ok in China or Asia markets due to huge Chinese government subsidy, but the story is different when it comes to international markets.
MG does very well in NZ. We just tested a BYD and an MG i thought they where both very well screwed together.

The UK govt doesn't have a pot to pee in :cry:
You have to wonder when people are going to wake up and smell the **** stain which has been left by the asset stripping attitude of successive (predominantly conservative) governments and the long term damage that has done to the UK’s prosperity.
This is only really because they have barely enough capacity to cover the domestic market.

BYD only launched here this year and their cars are priced fairly competitively in the market, same for MG.

It was rare to see a Tesla on the roads before 2019, and they launched here in 2013, there is one on every street corner now. It’s not surprising you don’t see many BYDs which have been available for a matter of months.

That argument is also derailed by the MGs also being everywhere these days. The ZS, 4 and 5’s are really popular. They are no worse on the quality wide than a lower end European, Japanese or Korean car.

BYD are making big gains in Australia at the moment, they’ve been available there for longer than here.

MG does very well in NZ. We just tested a BYD and an MG i thought they where both very well screwed together.
I got a Skoda EV, it’s miles ahead in terms of interior materials and build quality than the MG ZS or the MG4. Obviously different price point and different class of cars.

MG feels rattlely to me. Tho I have not been in a BYD as it is non-existent in UK. Also the pricing is just silly - more expensive than model y equivalent for an Atto3

Doesn't BYD have a bit of a reputation for suddenly getting rather toasty? I used to work for a UK EV development company for a few month and I remember them having a very negative view, then again I had a very good reason why I only worked for that company for a few months.... Let's say the British companies aren't much better.

Finally found the auto hold in the MG4.... Seems daft now I know as all you have to do is firmly press the brake pedal when stopped for it to activate (so the car doesn't creep). My Model 3 just comes to a stop and auto applies the auto hold regardless of actual brake pedal input (plus I am way more used to driving it).

Drove it for the first time to work today and had to resist using the loud (but not really) pedal.... :p

Achieved 4.1 m/kWh on my commute in Eco which is only a little behind the ~220-230wh/m I get in the Model 3. Reverse journey is normally around ~190-210wh/m so will be interesting to see if the MG4 is better that way as well.

Just depends on how much I can resist sport mode....

Finally found the auto hold in the MG4.... Seems daft now I know as all you have to do is firmly press the brake pedal when stopped for it to activate (so the car doesn't creep). My Model 3 just comes to a stop and auto applies the auto hold regardless of actual brake pedal input (plus I am way more used to driving it).
That's how it works on most non-Tesla's.

Most EV manufacturers seem to want to make their EVs drive similar to a non-EV to ease people away from ICE to EVs.

Your model 3 would work in exactly the same way if you put it in ‘creep mode’ instead of the default ‘hold mode’ (aka one pedal driving). You can change the behaviour in the settings menu.

Does the MG4 not have a one pedal driving mode?

That's how it works on most non-Tesla's.

Most EV manufacturers seem to want to make their EVs drive similar to a non-EV to ease people away from ICE to EVs.

Your model 3 would work in exactly the same way if you put it in ‘creep mode’ instead of the default ‘hold mode’ (aka one pedal driving). You can change the behaviour in the settings menu.

Does the MG4 not have a one pedal driving mode?

You are both right. It was the same on my wife's previous Fiesta ST and the Kona EV I had before. Just me not remembering correctly (not had coffee yet...).

Completely forgot about the creep setting in the Model 3.. :)

Yes, it has one pedal mode. Not tried it yet but likely will auto apply hold when stopping under regen / brakes applied. I generally prefer a lighter re-gen (Model 3 is set to low) so hadn't even linked the two together.... like I said, not had coffee yet... :o :)

As a naive non-ev owner , do you nonetheless use parking brake when stopping at lights/junction for a while, in case you got shunted, and as a double precaution when you move off.
pressing a button on the tesla stalk does seem more finikety than ice handbrake

As a naive non-ev owner , do you nonetheless use parking brake when stopping at lights/junction for a while, in case you got shunted, and as a double precaution when you move off.
pressing a button on the tesla stalk does seem more finikety than ice handbrake
ICE or EV there is no need to apply the handbrake when using the auto hold function when sat at the lights. It is literally the same as being sat there with your foot pressed on the brake pedal but with the added advantage that as you pull away it will release once some torque is detected (so you don't roll backwards).

As far as I’m aware it does not release until you press the go pedal so it’s actually better than having your foot on the brake (which may come off in a rear shunt).

The ‘hand brake’ also only applies to the rear wheels, the hold mode applies to all 4 wheels.

Back
Top Bottom