Cities: Skylines

Soldato
I've started getting back into this, I'm playing some COD on Ps4 with my friends and this makes a nice contrast to it!

I'm not sure if I want to try to make a mega city designed from the ground up to have great traffic flow (where you spend time fixing macro scale motorway and traffic flow problems) or a smaller more organic smaller city designed to be interesting lookinf (where you fix more micro scaled problems) ...

Soldato
You don't need to design from the ground up, just make sure roundabouts and junctions that are free flowing that sorts traffic out. And for example I seperate my commercial and place it FAR away from actual city, connected with underground and railyway, then it has free flowing from motorway, free flowing roundabout onto a one way system. Runs smooth, initially there is traffic as people first come but it dies down.

Soldato
Got industries, re-downloaded a bunch of assets.

Game crashed. Eurgh.

Industries is the best DLC I've seen though. So much more content

I like the fact you can now build large industries with some meaty sized buildings, before you could do it but this was with RICO, much easier now, just built a forestry area out of town seems to be working nicely.

Caporegime
I like the fact you can now build large industries with some meaty sized buildings, before you could do it but this was with RICO, much easier now, just built a forestry area out of town seems to be working nicely.

Yeah I done a quick farm and you can build such a huge area very quickly!

Soldato
I got the Industries DLC, as well as the radio one.

Even tho they are installed I am yet to start a city, having spent a while having a clean out.
I had waaaay too many assets, many of them left over from maps that I no longer have or use. Having up to 1200 assets was becoming an issue with 16GB in terms of the time that it was taking to load and exit. No big deal at all, it never crashed, but I felt that with the patch and DLC inbound it would be a good time to clean it up.

Down to just over 850 assets and around 47 mods now - that is good for me. Too me ages going through them all again in the workshop.

Hopefully it will not be too long before TMPE gets updated, altho the game can be played without it, maybe ;)

Soldato
I have always loved the idea of themes but found that it took a massive amount of work for it to look as good as I would have wanted. Then I have often been dissatisfied overall.
Also, like you have found, my asset numbers increased to a silly number just to support a few themes, made worse if the creator hadn't made all the housing levels in that theme.

For now I've sort of given up using that theme manager and I'll see how I go. I might be right in thinking that by not using it there is less demand on the system.

What do you think of Industries so far ?

Soldato
Only had a little go because my city keeps flooding and fires are spreading thanks to natural disasters :p But from the small amount I've used it with the forestry area, I really like it, really adds some nice areas, perhaps can integrate forestry closely within a city as shouldn't cause too much pollution I think.

Soldato
Natural Disasters has been a pain for random tree fires, to the point where at one time I disabled the DLC.
Fire watch towers and helicopters have not been that much help.
One of my last favourite DLC's, I need no help in destroying my city.

Associate
It'd be cool if they did something like expandable buildings like in simcity. I liked the ability to add more ambulances, or add an extra section to a school. I don't know why I actually enjoyed simcity more than CS, i mean it does so much wrong and it breaks which in infuriating, but I always had more fun playing it.

Soldato
I like the graphics in CS and as for performance if you are not using any mods at all and stick to the 9 tiles that you are supposed to do then it runs OK.
If you are using a potato PC then you will struggle.
I have downloaded vanilla cities of 650k and they have ran fine but I would not build like that and would miss my mods, and accept the performance hit.

I would like it if they did not have the hard coded agent limits, that can be an issue at times.

Soldato
I hate the jaggies, no matter what I do, there is jaggies, dynamic resolution never worked and AA doesn't work either.

I find it odd that when you place trees for "forestry extractor" that it has to be placed on standard trees to work, seems a bit off.

Last edited:
Associate
I find it odd that when you place trees for "forestry extractor" that it has to be placed on standard trees to work, seems a bit off.

You have to place the new industry buildings on the correct type of natural resources; ie you still need to use the natural resources overlay to find the locations with industrial areas as you did when zoning industrial districts.

Soldato
I set up a new city as a bit of a role play and to build my biggest city evvaarrr. The role play was I'm pumping all my sewage into one of the smallish lakes and then.... see what happens?

Here it is at 1,000 cims
rDz4CtMh.jpg

And here at 100,000 cims!
DW62pmih.jpg

Doesn't look that different really but I'm about to have some issues!

9YeOnD7h.jpg

Time for what geographers call "managed retreat" I think...

Anyway here is my City
Bmc1z5u.jpg
BFkfHT9.jpg

I was having issues for the longest time having zero residential demand, and residents were leaving (or dying?) at a rate of -100 per... whatever unit the population change counter is in. Eventually, after watching my population sink from about 95,000 to 88,000 over the course of an hour of play, and having perfected my education, parks, fire etc, I just built a load more residential zones and people started to move in anyway.

I also had an issue of none of my commercial zones getting any goods until I drained a lake and built an industrial area (even though I am well into the university / office age). Draining the lake may not have been strictly necessary, but I've never done it before!

Soldato
I started to get intermittent flooding around Poo Lake (it's where the poo is) so I moved my sewage pumps to a lake that looks like it flows off the edge of the map. It didn't go well. Spot the difference...

Before
Bmc1z5u.jpg

After. Poo lake is looking much cleaner already this is great! Oh wait, what's that city sized flood going on in the southern section of the map where I put my new sewer outlets?:p
Hsn3XTl.jpg

awth93t.jpg

Quick, build a wall!
YLC7ocp.jpg

At least it is subsiding a bit now? Not sure where it is going...

5tYQNtS.jpg

The trees are only slightly damaged :/

Back
Top Bottom