Cities: Skylines

Soldato
I guess they're not hard, but I feel you should be rewarded for doing good not bad. I'd have to ruin my current city to get the crime rate one.

That's why it's nice to know they unlock no matter if you save or not ;)

I've only got 2 or 3 left to unlock, fill 3 cemetaries was a B.

I worked out it's better to just let them fill up on their own rather than force deaths it takes years (game time) to fill them both ways.

Crime one is easy, but also hard as you need a good balance of keeping buildings going but crime up.

The 5k elementary students was a ball buster too...

I found the 300 service buidlings one fun... I had 219 fire stations :p

Associate
Possibly building too much too quick.

Keep things simple and small to begin with helps. If your crime rate is high then there will be lots of robberies, counter that with a police station. Same goes for fires, plonk down a firehouse.

Keep monitoring your traffic flow, deal with your RCI demands (Residential, Commercial, Industrial) as the level of demand rises, but don't zone off hundreds of blocks, just do small sections, wait to see how it affects the demand and then either zone more or leave it.

Couple of beginner tips which helped me;

The Space Bar is your Friend - Pause the game often while you lay roads, zones & checking info so that the sim stops and you're not swimming against the tide.
Red traffic areas aren't necessarily bad, it just means there's a high volume of traffic on that road. As long as you deal with congestion, then red zones are ok.
To save cash, turn down your funding to water and electric at the start. You'll output more than your city will initially need, so save money by reducing your outgoings. No point generating 50Mw of power when your city only needs 20, but tweak it up when needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Possibly building too much too quick.

Keep things simple and small to begin with helps. If your crime rate is high then there will be lots of robberies, counter that with a police station. Same goes for fires, plonk down a firehouse.

Keep monitoring your traffic flow, deal with your RCI demands (Residential, Commercial, Industrial) as the level of demand rises, but don't zone off hundreds of blocks, just do small sections, wait to see how it affects the demand and then either zone more or leave it.

Couple of beginner tips which helped me;

The Space Bar is your Friend - Pause the game often while you lay roads, zones check info so that the sim stops and you're not swimming against the tide.
To save cash, turn down your funding to water and electric at the start. You'll output more than your city will initially need, so save money by reducing your outgoings. No point generating 50Mw of power when your city only needs 20, but tweak it up when needed.

That's great thanks. I think i'll start fresh and go from there.

I didn't know you could pause the game!!

Soldato
I've recently got this game and everything goes well then i get to school and stuff then it all goes down the drain, in debt, everyone is setting their houses alight, robbing stuff. What am i doing wrong!?

Possibly building too much too quick. *snip*

...deal with your RCI demands (Residential, Commercial, Industrial) as the level of demand rises, but don't zone off hundreds of blocks, just do small sections, wait to see how it affects the demand and then either zone more or leave it.

This... Really important and something I see various people on youtube doing wrong (in other city builders as well):

Residential demand is very high - aaaarrggggh zone 20 blocks of residential... 30 seconds later it still hasn't fallen.... aaarggh 20 more!!!

The demand doesn't drop until people actually *move-in* to the new plots created by your zoning... so if you see a little bit of commerical demand, say, but you can see that you already have some commercial zoning which doesn't yet have any buildings - don't zone anymore until that zone has filled (or nearly filled if demand is still high) - you might find once those few plots are filled the demand is completely gone, so if you'd zoned more area it would have just sat empty

Another thing is don't be afraid to re-purpose areas over time... for example in the first city I built I had a little strip of commercial in the centre with residential all around it. Over time as the demand for commercial grew I intentionally de-zoned some of the residential near to the centre and replaced it with commercial (and provided some more residential around the edges to pick up the demand generated)... Point is you don't always have to build more, more, more, sometimes it's better to evolve what you already have a bit

Soldato
when you guy say start small, how small are we talking? im on my third city now amn it quickly gets out of hand.

also power lines do my head in, they take out quite a chunk of land but i can seem to do without them.

Associate
when you guy say start small, how small are we talking? im on my third city now amn it quickly gets out of hand.

also power lines do my head in, they take out quite a chunk of land but i can seem to do without them.

Probably restarted a dozen times now and not even broke the 5k population mark! :o

With regards to the power lines are you running them everywhere or are you just using them to link areas up.

Reason i ask is that having buildings on the map will spread you electricity connection. So you can actually create a city with no powerlines at all.

Soldato
Probably restarted a dozen times now and not even broke the 5k population mark! :o

With regards to the power lines are you running them everywhere or are you just using them to link areas up.

Reason i ask is that having buildings on the map will spread you electricity connection. So you can actually create a city with no powerlines at all.

i had 3 seperate areas so had to link them with powerlines and then i stuck my dump way outa the way so needed to link that too.

think i need to start it again. its takes so quite careful planning to build a decent city. i mean ive barely opened the box with around 2k population for the little time ive played.

every time i build i think (i could have done that better) so i demolish bits etc and then it all goes to pot.

Soldato
To start I build a 2k (worth) road each way in and out normally parallel to the highway I then use one side for residential and commercial and the other for industry, Run water and power to it and set your zones 80:20 for resi:commerce

Then just build from there

Also, go get yourself the 1x1 swing set it helps massively for easy upgrades to buildings and general happiness of any zone. HERE

Grrrrr just spent 2 hours messing around and getting somewhere and it crashes annoying!

Last edited:
Soldato
This game is just silly addictive. The only other game which has me sucked in (and tbh I dont know why) is Hearthstone.

But with this, it is genuinely a case of "one more turn" albeit, there are no turns in this game.

More a case of "one more minute".

Associate
Here's my city, which currently is the only one out of 5 attempts that has worked ok with traffic.
Nearly 10k and a decent amount of money by growing slowly and keeping utility costs under control.

*** Warning - Large images in Spoilers (2560 x 1440) ***

S7IdDFJ.jpg

5uRKJ2j.jpg

bCMWMAp.jpg

i9ispZk.jpg

VT9Folu.jpg

2uoDIaJ.jpg

icS7fig.jpg

Associate
Looks fantastic and by the time I get round to playing it a suspect a good few updates. I fully support what they have done with such a small team. The Publisher now has to back the developer and get the game even better. They have brought a true city simulator that is actually fun and what the fans wanted. If only the high power executives who did not have a clue with SC2013 that failed so spectacularly after telling the fan base what they wanted rather than asking. Anyone high up that worked on SC2013 should be ashamed and this small group of dedicated developers have shown them up. Hay look EA/Maxis at all that money in sales not going your way to a developer that made good on its promises and built a great game.

I still think it could look better and I mean at the building models just to me lack somthing but hay so much to love. I think it needs a Weather Pack how cool would Snow be and having to help your sim population out. Floods and Map events. We don’t want to be morbid in killing Sims but there is nothing better than looking after them after a flood or world event.

Does this not have Trains? If so that’s a big miss.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks fantastic and by the time I get round to playing it a suspect a good few updates. I fully support what they have done with such a small team. The Publisher now has to back the developer and get the game even better. They have brought a true city simulator that is actually fun and what the fans wanted. If only the high power executives who did not have a clue with SC2013 that failed so spectacularly after telling the fan base what they wanted rather than asking. Anyone high up that worked on SC2013 should be ashamed and this small group of dedicated developers have shown them up. Hay look EA/Maxis at all that money in sales not going your way to a developer that made good on its promises and built a great game.

I still think it could look better and I mean at the building models just to me lack somthing but hay so much to love. I think it needs a Weather Pack how cool would Snow be and having to help your sim population out. Floods and Map events. We don’t want to be morbid in killing Sims but there is nothing better than looking after them after a flood or world event.

Does this not have Trains? If so that’s a big miss.

It has trains, ships, metro, buses and planes (http://fat.gfycat.com/ShorttermQuarrelsomeBat.webm). It also has full support of steam workshop and if you aren't happy with the vanilla models go get yourself some new ones off there :D

You can create your own floods, with dams. There's also a mod that allows fire to spread to other buildings so far. Lots more to come I'm sure.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve seen the planes and ships etc but not seen anyone build a rail network on any stream I’ve watched. Good to know they are there. Yeah I seen the workshop for the first time the other day. Let the fans go Wild and generate content is the best way to go.

I hope the unlock the whole map late.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve seen the planes and ships etc but not seen anyone build a rail network on any stream I’ve watched. Good to know they are there. Yeah I seen the workshop for the first time the other day. Let the fans go Wild and generate content is the best way to go.

I hope the unlock the whole map late.

There's a mod to unlock all tiles already ;) Here.

Also the main reson for no one using trains is that they aren't that good... far much use from metro and the money output doesn't add up to the mess the tracks make imo.

Back
Top Bottom