Cities: Skylines

Underboss
Lovely works Steeps.

Wish I could get a city going like that, yesterday I spent 4 hours on a junction for my Industrial sector and harbour area. Was done in after that and played something else.

Associate
Nicely done Steeps. Thats the same map as I built my city on :)

Interesting to see how our cities started in the same place but became totally different.

Really impressed with how much extra population you were able to get into your city 230k vs 150k population in mine. Looks like those tiles north and south of the starting tile were great for building on with lots of space.

What CPU do you have out of interest? My i5-4690k was on its knees at 150k using anything but 1x speed.

Associate
Just trying to understand the general mechanics of the game. When you build a residential area for instance do you have to build comercial and industrial very close by or will people travel around the city to shop and work?

Associate
They will happily travel around and visit parks/ shops, or head to school/ work, wherever they have a place.

You do want to keep a small gap between residential and commercial/industrial areas or your population will quickly get sick.

From what I've observed they will prefer to use public transport first, then walk/bike and finally use a car if there is no other way to reach there destination.

The distance they walk is incredible. Way further then you expect. I believe its in the region of 128 squares. You don't want transport stops at set distances though. You want them setup for efficiency depending on how much commuter traffic there is one location.
I've found sticking an early metro line connecting the College(s) + University together helps with reducing car traffic if you run bus lines between the residential areas and the nearest metro.

Soldato
Reaching about 100k population in my latest city and traffic is starting to become a nightmare in places! Hitting the limit of what motorway roundabout interchanges can deal with and have a set of motorways crossing over that is proving a huge bottle neck too. That's before I even look at some of my built up areas that are just horrendous now! :D

My train routes are just awful as I chose to ignore the separating internal and external lines... woops :p

Associate
They will happily travel around and visit parks/ shops, or head to school/ work, wherever they have a place.

You do want to keep a small gap between residential and commercial/industrial areas or your population will quickly get sick.

From what I've observed they will prefer to use public transport first, then walk/bike and finally use a car if there is no other way to reach there destination.

The distance they walk is incredible. Way further then you expect. I believe its in the region of 128 squares. You don't want transport stops at set distances though. You want them setup for efficiency depending on how much commuter traffic there is one location.
I've found sticking an early metro line connecting the College(s) + University together helps with reducing car traffic if you run bus lines between the residential areas and the nearest metro.

Yer I have been observing them and noticed they walk crazy distances.

Soldato
145h and still not got past 40k.

This game tests my patience a lot. Can never get it how I want it.

131h and I too tend to struggle when the city gets to around 50k or so.

Overall city layout tends to be a problem with sustainable traffic access for industry and general commuting.

I can get a little too mod happy as well, assets have been cut down to virtually nil as building themes were responsible for really slowing the game down.

Underboss
131h and I too tend to struggle when the city gets to around 50k or so.

Overall city layout tends to be a problem with sustainable traffic access for industry and general commuting.

I can get a little too mod happy as well, assets have been cut down to virtually nil as building themes were responsible for really slowing the game down.

Yeah same, as much as I love Traffic ++ it kills my loading times. Having the UK building themes was nice but again it was taking 2-3mins to load up via an SSD. Most of my mods change the gameplay mechanics more than the look.

Soldato
Yeah same, as much as I love Traffic ++ it kills my loading times. Having the UK building themes was nice but again it was taking 2-3mins to load up via an SSD. Most of my mods change the gameplay mechanics more than the look.

I used to love using the Traffic++ mod but it really does slow down my game as the city grows. There has been discussion of that mod and one or two others joining to make a modular super type mod. Unless the lag issues are sorted I'll have to just avoid using it.
I gave up with the UK building theme, just updated with lights as well, as I agree the impact on performance as the city grew was too severe.

The mods I'm currently using...

Time Warp
Power Relay
Multi Track Station Enabler
City Vitals Watch
Daylights Classic
Night time Solar Power
Enhanced Zoom
Cloud and Fog Toggler
Auto Line Color
Unlock Basic Roads
IPT
All 25 Areas
One Way Street Arrows
Chirp Filter
Road Color Changer
Transport Lines Manager
European Buildings Unlocker
Mod Achievement Enabler
Toggle Traffic Lights

^^^ Quite a few that I enjoy using which enhance my enjoyment. Thankfully, unlike assets and themes etc, they don't seem to slow the game down much.

I do have a few assets which are pre made grids of roads etc which can be dropped and interlocked together to make shaped districts etc without too much effort.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still running vanilla, 250k pop and it's using about 25-35% cpu power on an x5650 (upgraded from i7 920).

Even though my traffic is still low my public transport figures have recently plummeted and I can't see why (unless everyone is now "shopping local"), at 150k pop I had about 10% using public transport, this has now dropped at 250k pop to only 11k using public transport, even though I've expanded the network to cover all new areas. This has had quite a drop in my city income as public transport was basically my "profit". Might try adding some more trains to the loop to boost cross-map access.

Associate
Thats a great CPU to have for a game as well multi-threaded as C:S is :D

With your huge 250k city. Todays patch might be of interest then. They've increased the building limits: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mits-increased-patch-1-2-2-f2-is-live.890051/

Best change for me is:
Fixed tree lod shadow clipping with tall trees
Finally can turn the Shadow Quality back up as I had to lower it because of this issue.

Oh and:
Some maps and/or biomes are very bright and oversaturated.
- Some improvements have already been made, this could be a bug, related to the users GPU or an unintended result of lighting changes. Investigating further.
Hopefully that means no need to play with my sunglasses on anymore!

Associate
“Is this final? Nothing is ever final -- but we are going to leave this alone for the foreseeable future and focus our efforts elsewhere going forward”

I was told this is the way they work but a bit disappointed as to me a game like CS would require tweaking and constant work to improve over time. I don’t think it suggest patches are never coming but it reads as they will be very rare.

Associate
Hmm you get a different meaning to that quote to me.

My interpretation is; They are going to stop trying to find ways to increase the agent limit for the time being. Instead, they will focus on improving other areas of the game and developing new content.

Associate
New DLC coming, Cities: Skylines Snowfall

Same deal as last time, price it reasonably and i'll grab me some of that. I think After Dark had been out for around 3-4mo before i got around to playing it, but still bought it on release as i dont mind when its sensibly priced and theres a decent amount of content, i'll happily support it and hope they continue with more.

Nice theme too, not sure what else they could do after that though.

Soldato
After Dark was a good upgrade for vanilla players introducing a couple of small changes. Bus lanes made emergency services much more efficient and it's quite useful having cycle lanes through really busy areas to reduce traffic. Going to hold off on future DLC because I don't think there's quite enough improvement for the outlay.

Back
Top Bottom