Cities: Skylines

Associate
@Goose Unfortunately poor performance seems to be the norm for Cities Skylines in 2020.

This morning I re-installed and loaded a savegame from a few years ago, with only a couple of DLCs and mods. Even with the mods disabled I'm getting between 25-36fps and its just terrible scrolling around the city as there is all sorts of hitching.

Here is a screenshot with RTSS and HWINFO running. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. You can see I've lots of spare system resources. I guess the game engine has just become bloated over the years with all the expansions :(

15285C06382287E48A8C4C604F4EB2109783E65E

Associate
RAM seems to make a difference to frame rate - especially when your city gets bigger. I'm going from 16-32GB this week so will see how that helps.
Only using a few essential mods.
81 tiles
Fine road anarchy 2
Fine road tools 2
Network extensions 2
Move it
TMPE
Ploppable RICO revisited.
Electrix's road tools 2.

Man of Honour
RAM seems to make a difference to frame rate - especially when your city gets bigger. I'm going from 16-32GB this week so will see how that helps.
Only using a few essential mods.
81 tiles
Fine road anarchy 2
Fine road tools 2
Network extensions 2
Move it
TMPE
Ploppable RICO revisited.
Electrix's road tools 2.
I'd be interested in a before and after with regards to frame rates, smoothness etc when your upgrade arrives :)

Soldato
I'd be interested in a before and after with regards to frame rates, smoothness etc when your upgrade arrives :)

this was why I was asking about my memory upgrade which you replied to mate over in the memory section. Bought it last Monday but it’s not even shipped from ocuk yet. I’ll let you know if it improves it or not going from 16gb to 32gb.

I’ve got over 500 assets and about 40 mods.

Man of Honour
this was why I was asking about my memory upgrade which you replied to mate over in the memory section. Bought it last Monday but it’s not even shipped from ocuk yet. I’ll let you know if it improves it or not going from 16gb to 32gb.

I’ve got over 500 assets and about 40 mods.
I've also ordered another 16GB which, the same as you hasn't shipped yet.

I'm new to this game, it's been in my Steam account for a while, just never got around to it, but want to give it a go, so I've some reading up to do on which mods etc...

Soldato
I had 16GB of memory and have since increased that to 32GB.

You can see how much is used here....

20200414085603-1.jpg

and it is closer to 21GB.

It seems that all 11GB of the 108Ti is being allocated.

full size image.....

https://postimg.cc/18FL66VP

That is with around 80 or so mods and 2700 assets.

It is not about the frame rate, as such, but the time taken on the day and night cycle which has the biggest impact as the city grows. You get to the point where at 3x speed there is no difference over that of 1x.

Soldato
I got quite into this over the weekend and made a new city, already at 160,000 cims. Had quite a few growing pains, with waves of my commercial areas not receiving goods as I phased out industry, and then when I reintroduced industry as well as a cargo stations dotted around the city the industry's complained of lack of raw materials! Suggesting it was a traffic problem rather than a resource problem. However, my traffic level is 80% or better. I set up a giant mining zone on a hill, with mining town next to it and I think all my problems are sorted for the moment. I also decided upon a new road hierarchy and junction design which seems to be working well.

4pjg515.jpg
You've got Dullstone on the bottom left, which has "School's Out" policy in effect, with the rest of the industry upgraded to the 4.0 version. Far left on the hill is the Iron Mine and its "town" which is actually quite nice. The right most area is car free and features the Our Glorious Leader park. Top centre is the more tree lined area with hillside low density housing like the mega mansions in LA (no idea what it's called... Beverly Hills?)

The city has survived a tsunami and about 50 meteorites onto the same spot in the sea (I got bored) which has made an interesting geological feature.

nBVi99k.jpg

DOuk1zH.jpg

I like making "city life" GIFs

396YoJ9.gif

Old town - even when I plan for expansion at the start it always ends up as an organic mess by the mid game!
zfe6p8H.gif

la9mds5.gif

Please try to ignore that... minor industrial fire;)
EoOliZ3.gif

4mTpR4X.gif

In terms of performance, I get a with my 3700X, 16GB of RAM and 1070ti at 1440p. I don't really have any mods other than TMPE, Roundabout Builder and unlimited tiles.

YPdZAMK.png https://i.imgur.com/YPdZAMK.png

I timed how long a day took at each speed

Speed 1 = 9 seconds
Speed 2 = 5 and a half seconds
Speed 3 = 5 and a bit seconds. heh

Soldato
Why does day speed change

The day cycle typically takes 9, 6 and 3 seconds on 1x, 2x and 3x speed. As your city grows with the number of cims and vehicles being individually controlled the load on the CPU increases and changing the speed factor has less effect.
Mods like TMPE if heavily used to simulate accurate driving etc etc can also slow the game down.
I'm struggling to remember exactly but I was working on one city, heavily modded, and it had around 500k or so in population. It took around 25 seconds or so for a 1x day cycle and 2 and 3 made no difference.
Downloading a vanilla, no mods, city with around 540k from the workshop was quicker on that cycle and ran much smoother.
I still prefer to use lots of mods and assets tho.

@almoststew1990 that looks great and quite natural in its layout.

I might get back into this game, one day. I bought the latest DLC and have still yet to play it.!

Soldato
anyoen suggest a few mods that are must have,

i see tpme mentioned but i dont see it anywhere in the steam workshop for starters, does it come under a different name or does it need downloaded elswhere?

Soldato
It's Traffic Manager President Edition but it's updated recently so look for v11.

Roundabout builder is great. I downloaded a recycling centre asset as trying to control Waste is impossible otherwise!

Network extensions I think it's called for more road and junction options too.

Associate
Upgrade fitted. Game feels smoother when editing map. Population only 34k with 81 tiles turned on. Traffic @ 82%. The frame rate seems ~ 15% better though a little subjective. When zoomed out around 37-50 fps. Close in can drop to around 27-30fps Still slows a little when using the move it mod on a running map, but overall a worthwhile upgrade IMO. Edit- Forgot to add - 1440p.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Upgrade fitted. Game feels smoother when editing map. Population only 34k with 81 tiles turned on. Traffic @ 82%. The frame rate seems ~ 15% better though a little subjective. When zoomed out around 37-50 fps. Close in can drop to around 27-30fps Still slows a little when using the move it mod on a running map, but overall a worthwhile upgrade IMO. Edit- Forgot to add - 1440p.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm running at 1440p as well, and just had an email at 10:15pm tonight from OCUK that they've shipped my extra RAM for delivery tomorrow (seems they are working 24hrs after all) :)

Soldato
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm running at 1440p as well, and just had an email at 10:15pm tonight from OCUK that they've shipped my extra RAM for delivery tomorrow (seems they are working 24hrs after all) :)
Same here, got my shipment email 24 hours ago and got the dpd text earlier for delivery Thursday. Fingers crossed they work with the older sticks

Soldato
making good use of the TMPE mod to get my traffic flowing,

any decent mods to make the subway more realistic?

huge numbers of passengers passing through the system and in cases 2000 plus passengers waiting at stations but i cant get them all on the trains and i'm running at a huge loss despite the massive passenger volumes. highly frustratiing

Soldato
making good use of the TMPE mod to get my traffic flowing,

any decent mods to make the subway more realistic?

huge numbers of passengers passing through the system and in cases 2000 plus passengers waiting at stations but i cant get them all on the trains and i'm running at a huge loss despite the massive passenger volumes. highly frustratiing

Perhaps.....

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1776052533

and then ONE of the following....

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312767991

might be useful.

In the past I have used AVO to increase the capacity of the trains.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1548831935

I don't think that I have ever made profit from running a metro, but it is always popular.

Soldato
Just getting back into PC gaming and used to.love this, ant expansions definitely worth getting and any good mods to improve base experience?

Not looking for an exhaustive list but something to get me started.

Back
Top Bottom