City Fibre

Man of Honour
Been having similar issues during peak times for the last week, though my BQM doesn't look quite as bad as yours.

My Broadband Ping

no one are sending a replacement router and asked me to some MTR tests.
What happens if you plug a laptop directly into the ONT and do a test?

Replacement routers won’t achieve anything IMO.

The graph is classic peak time congestion.

Last edited:
Associate
What happens if you plug a laptop directly into the ONT and do a test?

Replacement routers won’t achieve anything IMO.

The graph is classic peak time congestion.
Good shout, will give it a try direct into the ONT today.

Agreed re: the router - the replacement TP-Link unit arrived yesterday so I'll probably set it up anyway.

Never had any issues with Giganet previously, BQM was flat as a pancake - shame their support was so poor.

Associate
Yeah 100% Evening Congestion. Think of all the people that will be jumping onto the service away from VM etc. If they don't light up enough Bandwitdh/Equipment thats what you get I am afraid.
Cheers - would that be at the CityFibre end or ISP specific?

Be disappointed if I've signed up for a 12 month contract to essentially get the same issue we had with Virgin, albeit a lesser extreme.

Associate
no one was one of the isp’s I was looking at signing up to when my BT contract was up,them or Yayzi.
I considered Yayzi but I swear half of the the CityFibre reddit page is just complaints about set up troubles of theirs or their poor support, lol. Kind of put me off. That and coming to the conclusion it probably wasn't worth the extra cost to get the faster speed from them, obviously ymmv on that one.

Last edited:
Associate
It's hard to say what the issues above are considering not all of us on them seem to be facing it. I would have thought if it was a peering issue more of us would be facing it due to their smaller peering network/few exchanges.

I think ISP recomendations probably depend on what you're looking for in a connection. I'm not sure if there is a completely perfect CityFibre ISP. Maybe A&A might be? But you certainly pay for it, they're the most expensive ISP as far as I saw, and they're the only ISP I've seen that actually has a monthly download quota at 1TB unless you pay more. Admittedly some might not get to that limit, but I would with how big games and game patches are these days.

If peering is a concern the consensus seems to be that TalkTalk is the best, but the downside there is talktalk are renowned for their poor support. I remember being with them for a bit sometime over a decade ago now, and it felt like it was impossible to get help since you just got passed around their out of country support centre which didn't really seem well trained. As far as I've heard, that hasn't really changed.

Yayzi(by default anyway, the pro tier comes with a static ip)/Octaplus are both CGNat so you need to factor in any extra costs for a static IP if that's going to be an issue.

Vodafone had some really good offers (though admittedly they do yearly price increases so that might offset how good it is in the end), but there was reports of weird peering from them on the earlier pages.

Last edited:
Soldato
If peering is a concern the consensus seems to be that TalkTalk is the best, but the downside there is talktalk are renowned for their poor support.
Support isn't much of an issue with FTTP, as you will probably not need to contact them at all aside from billing. I've had no issues, the same would apply to Vodafone except their BNG/Routing are all messed up.
Surprised no one really mentions much of Zen on CityFibre, if there was more of a consensus on them I'd have given them a go. TalkTalk seemed the safest option to me coming from Vodafone FTTP.

I've contacted TalkTalk once during provisioning of the service, and they seemed to explain everything to me pretty clearly, much better than Vodafone at least.

Wouldn't go with Yayzi, if you check the CityFibre subreddit, you'll see all types of issues people are having.

Last edited:
Associate
Wouldn't go with Yayzi, if you check the CityFibre subreddit, you'll see all types of issues people are having.
If you look above, I literally said that, haha.

As for support, I disagree in the sense that CityFibre's network can have issues, and in that situation you potentially will need to speak to them. I already had to contact No One for a CityFibre problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom