City Fibre

Associate
Thanks Si I'm in the NN4 area of Northampton. I Was originally with Giganet before AAISP. When i first signed up with Giganet they were using the local network but then changed over to national. Is it just me or is there a difference in speeds between local and national?. I can still push 940 on some London servers but others almost seem like they cap out at about 890 where as when i was on local they would always reach 934+. That was one of the reasons i changed over to AAISP i thought it was because of Giganet's new network being rubbish but i produce the same results on AAISP as i did with Giganet after the switch to National. I'm at a loss really im paying £27.67 more with AAISP for the same as i was getting with Giganet luckily I'm on a rolling contract so im not tied in. Currently looking at my options.
TT are on local at both FEXs in Northampton. There isn't a limit we put on national though, no, and there's no shortage of capacity, your GPON is terminating exactly the same place it's just a case of cross connect locally or connected across the network to a national handover point depending on parent ISP preference on order :)

Associate
no one provided router how many ethernet ports does it have? (looks like only 2 from the images & 1 WAN)

If some one would be king enough to post up a picture of it I would be grateful.

Most of the info is from Americans who do not really rate the mercku m6 and appears different versions of it.

Thanks

Soldato
no one provided router how many ethernet ports does it have? (looks like only 2 from the images & 1 WAN)

If some one would be king enough to post up a picture of it I would be grateful.

Most of the info is from Americans who do not really rate the mercku m6 and appears different versions of it.

Thanks

The default one they send (one I went for) has 2 LAN & 1 WAN logging into the portal it shows as a M6a-2938, if you pay for the upgraded router you get 4 LAN ports. The wifi on it for my property is stronger than the EERO 6 PRO I had previously.

Last edited:
Associate
The default one they send (one I went for) has 2 LAN & 1 WAN logging into the portal it shows as a M6a-2938, if you pay for the upgraded router you get 4 LAN ports. The wifi on it for my property is stronger than the EERO 6 PRO I had previously.
Yeah the WiFi is actually pretty decent on it. I did indeed have to use an ethernet switch due to the small amount of ethernet ports on it, though.

Edit: This is it, pretty sure they shipped it direct from this company too.

I do not see any option to select model with more ports on order screen only option to purchase another one to use as booster for £90.

I could manage with two ports but not ideal with phone adapter taking up one (I will need to daisy multi network switches not a fan of doing this)

I have signed up now see how it goes.

DId you have ATA device provided as well?

Last edited:
Associate
Update to it, to be fair the thought didn't even cross my mind to raise the ping issue. Just viewed myself as too small to make an impact..

Anyway after contacting them they got City Fibre to reprovision the line which was done in a day, it was a city fibre issue in the end as to why service dropped (suspected given they did a visit that day, they shouldn't have done anything but here we are).
After that I proceeded to give them a bunch of data i collected for the ping issue, after doing some digging myself it seemed both servers i happen to be familiar with are OVH hosted and all traffic was going to Lille-Roubaix France (instead of the London datacenter and Beauharnois Canada.

I've had it confirmed to me that they do indeed having a peering issue with OVH so hopefully that will be resolved soon, your welcome to anyone on no one and games with servers hosted at OVH :D

Further update, still waiting for this to be fixed but it seems that No One are waiting on action from OVH. I'm getting updates from a Senior Systems Engineer every two or so days just advising the current status and where its at. Overall pretty pleased with the support/comms from them so far.

Associate
Further update, still waiting for this to be fixed but it seems that No One are waiting on action from OVH. I'm getting updates from a Senior Systems Engineer every two or so days just advising the current status and where its at. Overall pretty pleased with the support/comms from them so far.

Just had a confirmation from their Senior Engineer that the peering is fixed now for No One and OVH. All the tests I did indicate its working now as i'd expect (8ms for me to London OVH DC vs 25ms+ and 86ms to Canada OVH DC vs 105ms+)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a confirmation from their Senior Engineer that the peering is fixed now for No One and OVH. All the tests I did indicate its working now as i'd expect (8ms for me to London OVH DC vs 25ms+ and 86ms to Canada OVH DC vs 105ms+)
How did you get the peering changed?, I’m sitting at a 16-21ms ping to London servers

Associate
How did you get the peering changed?, I’m sitting at a 16-21ms ping to London servers

That sounds about right given your location, for reference I get:

8ms from Sheffield
12ms from a place 10 miles north of York

The above peering was an ISP/Network provider level issue between No One and OVH where any traffic destine to OVH datacenters was going via france so you won't have seen it to all London servers. If you ping 51.195.189.144 you should find its the same 16-20ms you would expect given your distance from London, whereas before it was fixed you would have likely been getting probably close to 40ms

Soldato
That sounds about right given your location, for reference I get:

8ms from Sheffield
12ms from a place 10 miles north of York

The above peering was an ISP/Network provider level issue between No One and OVH where any traffic destine to OVH datacenters was going via france so you won't have seen it to all London servers. If you ping 51.195.189.144 you should find its the same 16-20ms you would expect given your distance from London, whereas before it was fixed you would have likely been getting probably close to 40ms
Ahh right, just pinged that ip and I’m getting 13-15ms

Last edited:
Associate
I've heard they're pretty good on FTTP these days, I can't get over their history though of being absolutely atrocious.
I was of exactly the same thought as yourself with regards to TalkTalk but they were the only ISP for Cityfibre for my area, so took the plunge hoping I would never need to call them (touch wood I haven't!). I also use my own router rather than the Eero one they sent out. So far I have been happy with the speeds & no outages as of yet other than local power cuts (which happen occasionally & nothing to do with them). Once contract is up I will be checking to see who is available to me then & go from there. Get solid speeds exceeding what they offer most of the time (there are times where it will drop a little but still more than acceptable). I am thinking of upgrading my home network to 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps though in preparation for when faster speeds do become available.

Soldato
Over the last day or so my no one connection has been a little laggy, I’m wondering what’s going on, anyone else having any problems?
the red spike is a router reset, how often are you supposed to reset the ONT box?
My Broadband Ping

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Over the last day or so my no one connection has been a little laggy, I’m wondering what’s going on, anyone else having any problems?
the red spike is a router reset, how often are you supposed to reset the ONT box?
My Broadband Ping
You don't reset the ONT unless something isn't working.

Do you have QoS or rate limit set on your upload? As if not, you should set it to ~890 Mbps or a little higher.

Soldato
When you download something, ack's are sent to the sending server. If you saturate your upload, your latency will spike.
I wasn't doing anything strenuous on my connection when all the spikes were happening, can I just ask would the weather have any effect on the connection if the fibre was exposed?

as all my connection is doing at the minute is streaming at 2MB/s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom