City Fibre

Soldato
My virgin contract is up end of March so I'm thinking of going to City Fibre.

I currently get 250 Mbps from Virgin with TV (hardly use) and phone line (never use) for £27 per month. I'd expect to negotiate a similar price if I renewed it.

There are many providers I can choose from on City Fibre, a few are offering 900Mbps deals for around £29 to £30 per month including:

Octaplus
factco
Link broadband
Gigabit networks
Yayzi

Any advice appreciated?

Also there is an existing telephone cable running from the pole to my house (unused), will they remove this when they install the new one?

Last edited:
Associate
My virgin contract is up end of March so I'm thinking of going to City Fibre.

I currently get 250 Mbps from Virgin with TV (hardly use) and phone line (never use) for £27 per month. I'd expect to negotiate a similar price if I renewed it.

There are many providers I can choose from on City Fibre, a few are offering 900Mbps deals for around £29 to £30 per month including:

Octaplus
factco
Link broadband
Gigabit networks
Yayzi

Any advice appreciated?

Also there is an existing telephone cable running from the pole to my house (unused), will they remove this when they install the new one?
I switched from Virgin to City Fibre and I regret it. At first the upload and download speeds were out of this world, now I have nothing but issues however, that is not City Fibres fault, it is Vodafone. When City Fibre launched in our street Vodafone had something like a two year exlcusive deal

Associate
No probs here with vodafone and cityfiber here. What sort of issues are you having?
It drops out for 5-10 seconds 3-4 times a day in the evening, when it’s bad it can be drop out 10 times between 4pm and 9pm when it’s busy. The speed often drops in the evening, they say they don’t but we are sure the bandwidth is being throttled in the evening.

I say we, the street/area has a community FB page and we all suffer the same issues. Getting through to the offshore call centre is usually a 15 minute effort where they make excuses, the speed boosts back up for 3-4 days and the cycle starts again

Associate
is the power to your ONT boxes hard wired or is it a barrel connector like this ?

iu

Im due for install on the 5th and they just turned up to install the external cable from the pole.

I showed the guy where I would like the box and where the power socket is. He said if it went on the wall where the socket is I would need cables running around the door and down the wall. They could do it on the other wall but I would need an extension running along under the front door.

So I was wondering If I would be able to just order a longer power cord to plug into the ONT instead of using a extension. It would be easier to hide one of those thin cables under the carpet than a power flex.

Associate
Mines just dropped off for 10 minutes, first time it's happened since being on CF 3 years ago.
Yeah, had the same happen at about a similar time. Also had some small disconnections about an hour ago, and now it's gone down again. Something funky going on.

Associate
It was more than just 1 isp as people on Vodafone were also involved. I am with Zen and no disconnect that day. Glad I picked zen now

We us to be with air broadband who have not moved to another name which I cannot remember. But they were awful. Had to contact the CEO in the end

Last edited:
Associate
It was more than just 1 isp as people on Vodafone were also involved. I am with Zen and no disconnect that day. Glad I picked zen now

We us to be with air broadband who have not moved to another name which I cannot remember. But they were awful. Had to contact the CEO in the end
I initially went with "Air Broadband". Utterly useless. It took 3 days to contact them. I sent their router back before it ever got connected.

Associate
I initially went with "Air Broadband". Utterly useless. It took 3 days to contact them. I sent their router back before it ever got connected.

connection was fine for me except the router was 2 days late.

after i started to have issues and a friend is on the same fibre but with a dif isp i told them its only them and they still tried to blame cityfibre. They over subbed the system to make money and it didnt work

I even went to the onbudsman and won!

Soldato
Do you get a better ISP router with these City Fibre providers? The Virgin Superhub 3 gets a lot of criticism as a router but I still use mine. If I was to swap to City Fibre and get a new router from the ISP, it might save me having to buy my own?

Back
Top Bottom