Civilization VI

Man of Honour
I just had a heart attack when I went to pre-order this, first time out of all Civs where I will not be buying it. Why is the price so high? do they think because console gamers will pay it us pc gamers will? they should know the average pc gamer has twice as much IQ as console haha.

Just buy it from one of the big CD key sites for £35, thats what I did. Seems silly to just not buy it at all just because of the RRP. Especially if its a series of games you like. Only person losing out by doing that is you.

Caporegime
They are going up because of greed mate and nothing else. We should not try and justify it.

Games development is very expensive. The first Civ game was made by about a dozen people - and mostly by just one - over the course of about a year. Civ VI is being made by a team of a hundred or more and has been in development for several years.

£49 is a bargain for a game like Civ VI.

Associate
Games development is very expensive. The first Civ game was made by about a dozen people - and mostly by just one - over the course of about a year. Civ VI is being made by a team of a hundred or more and has been in development for several years.

£49 is a bargain for a game like Civ VI.

They will cover the development cost during first day of sales and the rest will be profit. £49 pound is not a bargain price.

The marketing wants us to think in terms of hours played to cost. Why? When did this happen?

I played hundreds of hours on Civ V - does this mean they could/should have charged me £150 for it?

Associate
Against my better judgement just pre-ordered this from GMG. Even if it takes a few months to be patched up to an acceptable standard I just know that over a longer period I'll get many hours of entertainment out of it.

Associate
Civ IV Vanilla was £19.99 when I bought it way back in when 2005 and I'm still playing it with the BTS expansion, and a lot more so than Civ V BNW, so I can see why Firaxis would want to maximise their return length of play is anything like the same with other Civ players. Therefore, for me Civ IV has been a bargain but if I'd paid full price for Civ V I'd be hugely disappointed. So thinking about it all, in my view the price of Civ VI is fine. We want more Civ and if people are willing to pay that for it then fair dues. I'm not, and so will wait for the reviews & sales. Sure, I want to play it now but I'd rather wait, let Firaxis squeeze every pence out of consumers and have future Civ games than then release it at a lower price and them conclude it just isn't worth the effort and cut back on features or even don't bother making any at all.

Caporegime
Long video. Looking good

Interesting stuff. I wonder what balancing there is to stop you going for infinite city sprawl? Civ V had global happiness (which they've dropped) and higher costs for science and culture. Civ IV imposed big penalties for being too spread out (which I never liked). I haven't seen any indication of a new mechanic in Civ VI?

Soldato
I'm not really one for sitting down and watching long videos like this so its the first I've really watched for Civ VI, looks great, really looking forward to it!

Permabanned
I'll be another holding off and waiting, have bought and stuck in 1000's of hours in all the other CiVs, was pretty disappointed with CiV5.

So will hold off and see.

Soldato
Interesting stuff. I wonder what balancing there is to stop you going for infinite city sprawl? Civ V had global happiness (which they've dropped) and higher costs for science and culture. Civ IV imposed big penalties for being too spread out (which I never liked). I haven't seen any indication of a new mechanic in Civ VI?

Each Settler costs more than the last in Civ VI, how much, I'm not 100% but you'll be limited by the increased hammer cost, it seems they are using that as a cap against ICS. Which I prefer tbh, you can still go wide with the new civic policies, you'll be able to get some that give x% increase to settler build bonuses etc.

The lack of global hapiness is a nice thing for larger empires, more emphasis on districts and multiple copies of luxuries won't be relegated to simply 8 GPT like in V.

Soldato

Liking the look of Arabia here a lot. The gameplay in Civ VI looks like its going to be much more diverse than V, which is a great thing.

Press NDA ends tomorrow I believe? Only Russia yet to be shown.

Associate
Thats another good civ, I dont think Ive seen a civ yet which doesnt have good points, bodes very well for variety of choice.

+1. I'm yet to have that 'why would I play as them?' feeling that I have with some civs in Civ V. I still would love to see a choice of leaders per Civ, but I guess that's unrealistic for cost/dev time reasons.

Associate
So it's just Russia and Poland left to show?

Think Russia will be a science/expansionist civ but no idea what Poland will be. Already enough religious ones so maybe a bit of a warmonger?

I can't wait to get started with Rome first. I do love a wide civ :)

Back
Top Bottom