Civilization VI

Soldato
Just seen this on the Steam page:

Steam said:
Pre-Order to receive early access* to the Aztec Civilization Pack!

Leader: Montezuma
Unique Unit: Eagle Warrior
Unique Building: Tlachtli
Wonder: Huey Teocalli

*EXCLUSIVE PRE-ORDER ITEM FOR 90 DAYS, AFTER WHICH THE CONTENT WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO ALL OWNERS OF THE GAME.

I'm getting really sick and tired of developers/publishers doing this - How can they be surprised with piracy when they pull stuff like this?

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I'm getting really sick and tired of developers doing this - How can they be surprised with piracy when they pull stuff like this?

Known about that for a while now, to be quite honest it really doesnt bother me at all. There are like 20 other civs who all seem very interesting to play and after 90 days I get the extra civ anyway free of charge. Its not a prerequisite of a happy life that I absolutely must have the Aztecs in those first 90 days, got plenty of other civs to play. If it was the case that you ONLY get Aztecs if you preorder I may feel differently but as it stands its a total non-issue for me and I certainly wouldnt pirate it just because I cant wait 90 days for Aztecs, to me that seems a very feeble justification for pirating and says more about the person than the company.

Soldato
Known about that for a while now, to be quite honest it really doesnt bother me at all. There are like 20 other civs who all seem very interesting to play and after 90 days I get the extra civ anyway free of charge. Its not a prerequisite of a happy life that I absolutely must have the Aztecs in those first 90 days, got plenty of other civs to play. If it was the case that you ONLY get Aztecs if you preorder I may feel differently but as it stands its a total non-issue for me and I certainly wouldnt pirate it just because I cant wait 90 days for Aztecs, to me that seems a very feeble justification for pirating and says more about the person than the company.

Yep, doesn't seem like an issue to me either (though I've pre-ordered myself anyway). I hate it when there is content that you only get by pre-ordring, but everyone gets this after 90 days and as you say the other civs will keep you plenty busy until then. :)

Soldato
I'm the opposite - the more lets play videos I watch the more I'm liking it. New game mechanics look interesting and will add some strategic depth. Initially I disliked the graphical style, but now I'm warming to it. I've noticed a few bugs in the pre-release version, but nothing too bad. Compared to vanilla Civ 5 this iteration actually seems quite fleshed out.

Same here, though I've not watched that many vidoes but what I have seen has got me very much looking forward to release. The graphics have definitely grown on me, I think one of the concerns when they were first shown is that it could be an indication of the game being dumbed down, but I don't think thats a concern any more.

Also, nice to see all these vidoes available rather than not allowing any until launch day as is the case with a lot of titles these days, they obviously have faith in it.

Man of Honour
I think one of the concerns when they were first shown is that it could be an indication of the game being dumbed down, but I don't think thats a concern any more.

Yeah from what I've seen it seems like they have done quite the opposite, seems that they have made it more complex and deep rather than dumbed down.

Soldato
OP
I don't mind in this case with Aztec, it's just an incentive to pre-order it but since everyone gets it anyway for free I'm not too bothered. If it wasn't free though and they started charging people something like £4.99 after 90 days then I'd say it was bad.

Soldato
90 days thats like 2 games with turns....

:p

I understand what everyone's saying - And I'm not too distraught :p (I've never even played Aztec in Civ 5 so... :p) - But it just rubs me wrong that they've had to put an incentive to pre-order, and people who don't are getting a bit of the game locked down for 3 months because they haven't blindly trusted the developer to produce a product worthy of the moola. It's certainly not something I will be supporting. #neverpreorder :p

Soldato
:p

I understand what everyone's saying - And I'm not too distraught :p (I've never even played Aztec in Civ 5 so... :p) - But it just rubs me wrong that they've had to put an incentive to pre-order, and people who don't are getting a bit of the game locked down for 3 months because they haven't blindly trusted the developer to produce a product worthy of the moola. It's certainly not something I will be supporting. #neverpreorder :p

well they have the numbers for pre ordering and likely it will continue.
dont bother me much as I dont preorder normally.

Associate
I don't understand this pre-ordering of games. I've never done it.

Why take the risk? Just wait a little and read the reviews and then make a decision.

Soldato
I think I'll probably pick this up but I won't pre-order it. I might even wait until the first DLC for it comes out. By then they should have fixed all the launch day bugs if there are any and it will give me a chance to play a few other games that I have in the mean time.

Man of Honour

I'm getting really sick and tired of developers/publishers doing this - How can they be surprised with piracy when they pull stuff like this?

I don't mind them doing this if you can still get the content for free. Just have to wait a little. It's when you have to preorder, or you lose access to the content indefinitely. That's when it's not on. Not far off blackmail. Buy now or we'll take this off you.

Associate
I will almost certainly get this but I pre ordered sim city (spit) and beyond earth, and that has made me quite weary of pre order based on previous gaming experience.

Associate
I've been burnt with Civ 5 and Civ BE, no way in hell I'm I buying this for at least 6-12 months.

I went without Civ 5 for around 9 months after they broke it with a patch, the developers have been a bunch of clowns over the years.

Good luck to all those people pre-ordering it.

Man of Honour
I've been burnt with Civ 5 and Civ BE, no way in hell I'm I buying this for at least 6-12 months.

I went without Civ 5 for around 9 months after they broke it with a patch, the developers have been a bunch of clowns over the years.

Good luck to all those people pre-ordering it.

Ooooh goodie !! Theres nothing I love more than when someone says they absolutely wont buy something, I get great pleasure out of bookmarking their post and linking it when they end up cropping up in a thread having bought it, I've got a number of peoples posts on BF1 ready for just that event :D

Got a whole 6 months where I can link this post, joy !! Lol

Back
Top Bottom